NGD – Epiphone Les Paul SL

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Pat V., Nov 24, 2017.

1. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Premier Guitar's Full Video Review of the SL.

Luvs2yoko likes this.
  2. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    My Yellow SL showed up today. I really didn't expect it until next week. Tonight I set some things up in the practice room (AKA The Loud Room).
    I have only changed the strings and will do some comparisons to my modified one before I tear her apart. I have some P90s that I thought would be good for this one but after seeing the results of someone else using P90s in a turquoise SL, it will be hard not to use the chrome covered mini-hums again. They sound great and I really like the way they look.

Epi-LP-SL-YL-002.jpg

Epi-LP-SL-YL-003.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    theflow, Jmv668, Kickstand and 4 others like this.
  3. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    After seeing this video I want one again.

4. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Love the yellow. Goes great with that awesome orange bassbreaker.

Pat V. likes this.
  5. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I worked until 4:00 today and stopped early to start the work on The yellow SL. Still deciding on pickups but I installed the new tuners and drilled the hole for and mounted the new output jack.... now it's time for a nice NYE dinner.

Happy New Years to Everyone here on Squier Talk!
    New Output Location.jpg New Hole for Output Jack Drilled.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    theflow, Viking, Luvs2yoko and 2 others like this.
  6. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-Nut

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I get it for replacing tuners, but did you have problems with the original jack ? Mine is still strong after almost 5 years now.
    Curious about what made you look for new pups, you seemed enchanted with the ones in there now. What are you putting in ?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  7. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    This is a different guitar. My TVY Special still has the stock P90s.

0EAD6C3E-4068-42A0-B755-1933FD415457.jpeg

theflow likes this.
  8. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
  9. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-Nut

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Ah phew ...

So what'll you do with the open wound on the pickguard ? A toothpick holder ?

10. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Haven’t decided yet but it’ll be something. There’s going to be a little more going on in the cavity than what I did for the Turquoise one.

9B2B4B00-0216-4EB4-8CD5-F3CC2834ACB7.jpeg

theflow and mb doug like this.
  11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Head's up. I just got an email from GCenter saying the Pacific Blue SL is in stock. A check of GC's web page now shows all finishes in stock except the Turquoise.

Btw, I sent Epiphone the pictures of my "blue" SL. I heard back today and they said they think I did get the correct finish. I disagree but this appears to be a fight I won't win and it is not worth it. So I think I will end up trying to sell it locally.

12. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    It would be useful if you could find a Pacific Blue one at a local shop and bring yours in to compare it. If yours is wrong then with a photograph of them side by side you could reasonably expect an exchange from Epiphone.

13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Yes, I have thought about that and will be on the lookout. However, in my area I have still not been able to find a Squier Affinity Jazzmaster after all these months, although I have found several Bullet Mustangs. So it could be a while until these SLs trickle down to my local stores.

14. Axe Cop

Axe Cop Squier-Meister

Dec 13, 2017
    USA
    I was thinking of getting one because they are so cheap but not being able to intonate them is a huge turnoff.

15. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    It has a compensated wrap-around stoptail bridge that uses two intonation screws just like the countless models dating back to the 1954 Gibson Les Paul Juniors. If you need six string intonation adjustment, Musiclily sells one for $15 shipped but the stock ones are fine.

B7F0A4AB-02BD-45C1-BDD9-06688C0935AB.jpeg 9123940F-A86A-4719-B386-F7C92703B0EE.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    theflow and mb doug like this.
  16. Axe Cop

Axe Cop Squier-Meister

Dec 13, 2017
    USA
    Oh so they do have a replacement bridge. Very nice.

I don't have any experience with vintage stuff, but the stock bridge just seems bad for intonation. Like the vintage tele bridges vs individual saddles, the individuals will always be able to get closer to true intonation.

Anyway, $15 is cheap so my interest is back!

17. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Adding to what Pat V. said, some people prefer the one-piece bridge saying it adds some resonance. Some earlier bridges out there did not even have the compensated ridges that this model has.

However, Axe Cop, you may want to think about getting some new tuners. as your first order of business. And definitely put a new set of strings on it.

Pat V. likes this.
  18. Axe Cop

Axe Cop Squier-Meister

Dec 13, 2017
    USA
    Yep, first thing I heard are the tuners are the cheapest out there.

19. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-Nut

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    That lightning bar bridge is compensated and adjustable. Works great on 95% of the guitars that have them.

Pat V. likes this.
  20. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I usually prefer the 3 barrel Tele bridges and the stop-tails like these SLs have but for my yellow SL I'll be trying out the wrap-around tune-o-matic bridge to see what the difference is, mainly because of the weight/mass difference.

The stock tailpiece is 70 grams (2.4 ounces) and the the new one is 104 grams (3.7 ounces)

New Bridge.jpg New Bridge 2.jpg

radiotech likes this.