NGD – Epiphone Les Paul SL

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Pat V., Nov 24, 2017.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Well ... here's the thing, which I have already discussed with two S-T members. I ordered the Ocean Blue. But I think I got the Turquoise. The inner box said the model was the blue but the seal had been broken. The store rep told me he doubted the store had sent the wrong finish and said maybe it came that way from China.

But as for the guitar itself, I took it to my guitar shop "guy" who said the nut seems to be cut OK. The action is a tad high but there is still a lot of space in the bridge to adjust. The strings are junk. The tuners seem OKish except the G and B seem to slip some, which was mentioned in another review I've read. However it plays very well with a slim neck (good for my smallish hands) and it sounds very good on the clean settings I use. The pickups are a little noisy, however, as others have noted. Fret ends could use a little smoothing. No body flaws or neck or fingerboard problems I can find.

Overall it is well worth the money I paid for it which was under $90.

Tomorrow when I have time I will try to upload a picture of it next to my surf-green Squier VM Jag and maybe my pure white Monoprice California Classic for color evaluation. I don't have any other comparable blue guitars to use for comparison. I will try to use natural light filtering in through my apartment window because I know that electric lights can change the hue somewhat.

2. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    As promised, here is a very bad photo taken from my very bad and cheap flip phone. It's so bad the only dating it does is carbon dating ... it is so old that (put in terrible joke here)

2412-111327.jpg

I tried to get the photo as accurate as possible but I don't know. What do you folks think? Turquoise (blue/green) or Pacific Blue (blue/blue)?

On the left is my Squier VM Jag, the one I just haven't bonded with, and on the right is my Monoprice California Classic, a $80 or so guitar that I thinks is just great.

As for the picture itself there still seems to be some color shift. For example the Monoprice looks more like a vintage or creamy white but believe me it's an arctic white. I think the early morning sunshine filtering through the windows of my second-floor apartment has shifted the color spectrum a little and warmed up the colors. I think that makes the Epiphone Sl a little more blue than it appears normally.

So thoughts on this Christmas Eve before I go out to do some last-minute shopping and see what our area dying mall is like? Btw, I have no hot water because the heating element blew out again and the landlord said he is coming today to fix it. I've heating water on the stove as I type this so got to go.

Happy Holidays to everybody!

Kenneth Mountain, mb doug and Pat V. like this.
  3. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Dang it! I just looked at the photo I uploaded and it does look bluer on my computer screen than in real life. But, as I said, the colors are skewed. My Monoprice is as white as New York fresh-fallen snow and above it looks like a creamy yellow.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Does the serial number on the box match the guitar's serial number?
    Both colors are so close it's difficult to tell by the photo.

Your pic looks a lot like my Turquoise SL. I would hope that if you were to call Epiphone and give them your SN that they could confirm which one it is.

Here's mine looking more much more Pacific Blue in this photo than the Turquoise it actually is.

SL Color.jpg

5. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I can I guess call Epiphone. However, I forgot to mention that the Model number on the outside of the inner Epiphone box IDs it as a Pacific Blue finish guitar. Would that the actual serial number provide more info? And as you said your photo makes it look more blue.

6. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    More like this ? I toned down almost all of the yellow from the image.

2412-111327.jpg

7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Hey, DrBeGood, thanks. That is just about right, judging by the white of the body on the Strat clone. As I said it's basically an artic white ...actually I would like it to appear more like the vintage white in the photo I supplied .. but yes I think that is a more proper color renditon.

So I really think I got the Turquoise model somehow.

8. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Yep, I'd say so.

9. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Thanks ... and it's a bummer. I don't know what I will do about it: I'd like to send it back but I'm fearful I will be told something like, "After looking at the guitar you returned to us we have concluded we did send you the correct Pacific Blue model. Correspondingly, we are refunding the cost you paid ... but minus the cost of the "free" shipping you agreed to and the amount of money spent for us to receive the instrument back."

In other words, I wouldn't get much back. However I did contact the seller who sent me a return FedEx sticker so maybe I would get my money back.

10. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I can't take my eyes off that shell pink mustang.

9fears08 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    You pervert ...

12. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Lol! Look what I did to her since I took that photo this morning. Neck Swap!
    Fender Neck Swap 12-24-17 e.jpg

theflow, 9fears08, Viking and 2 others like this.
  13. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    That actually looks better.

Pat V. likes this.
  14. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    If you are struggling to tell which one you got, maybe it doesn't really matter that much after all.

theflow likes this.
  15. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Thanks! Even though I bought the Shell Pink Mustang specifically for the neck swap, I almost didn’t do it
    because I liked the the Pao Ferro fretboard so much. I’m really glad I did it though. I think both guitars have improved from the change both cosmetically and feel.

Fender Neck Swap 12-24-17 2 e.jpg

theflow and Luvs2yoko like this.
  16. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    My only struggle is with the retailer telling me I got the Turquoise model ... as well as the box that says I got the turquoise. From the moment I took off the protective coating I knew it was not the Pacific Blue model I expected.

And, yes, it does make a difference to me.

Btw, I just took another picture of the guitars, this time just using the overhead lighting and the guitar does show up with an overall greenish finish, pretty much like the adjusted photo.

17. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    If the SN on the box and the SN on the guitar are identical and the box says Pacific Blue then it probably is. Here's my box.... Everything matches.

Inner Box.jpg

18. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Well, that's it then. I overlooked the SN on the box. On mine everything matches so I guess this is the Pacific Blue finish after all. I'm admittedly embarrassed ... and disappointed. I won't be asking for a refund because that is not fair to the seller to give me one.

However, to me it just isn't what I wanted so I will be putting it up for sale on my local Craigslist probably. I see people trying to get twice as much for this guitar, some with upgrades as minor as just a setup. I will try to get what I put into it, which is still less than they sell for new.

Thanks to everybody here for helping me. If I am wrong, I will admit it.

I was wrong.

19. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Ahhh ... too bad. I was gonna blueish it for you.

2412-111327.jpg

mb doug and Pat V. like this.
  20. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I think that blue looks better than what Epi offers.

Here is a mock up I made while waiting for the retailers to stock them.
    Dusk Blue SL.jpg

mb doug and DrBeGood like this.