NGD – Epiphone Les Paul SL

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Pat V., Nov 24, 2017.

1. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    So is the new Epiphone Les Paul SL worth $99.00?

To me it sure is. I’ve only had it an hour for a quick test strum and weigh-in / pics but my first impression is positive.

I’ll post more later including a side by side comparison to the Epi Special P90 model that I also own and love but here are three things to start off with.

1. It's lightweight at 6 pounds 1 ounce (5 ounces less than the Special with P90s)
    2. The fret surfaces are much better right out of the gate than the Special with P90s (fret ends were fine on the Special but the fret surfaces needed some work)
    3. I like the engraved "Gibson Style" serial numbering on the headstock.

That's it for now. I fully expect this to be a fun little guitar whether or not someone plans on modding it or not...and I do plan on some mods.

Epiphone Les Paul SL 001.jpg Epiphone Les Paul SL 002.jpg Epiphone Les Paul SL 003.jpg Epiphone Les Paul SL 004.jpg Epiphone Les Paul SL 006.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  2. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
  3. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Congrats! Looks great, interested to hear your thoughts. Still can't decide whether to pull the trigger on this one.

4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Maybe I can help you decide. I ordered one today from WWBW for $79.20, as I said in another post.

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
  6. seua

seua Squier-Nut

Mar 23, 2014
    France
  7. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    looks nice, good luck with it !

8. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    Looks cool like them japanese 60's guitars. Congrats

Kenneth Mountain and theflow like this.
  9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    No offense to the front of the.guitar, but the back is gorgeous with that long expanse of teal.

10. DADGAD

DADGAD Squier-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    California
    Very pretty guitar! Congratulations! Is that the pacific blue or the turquoise?

Kenneth Mountain, Robb and theflow like this.
  11. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Meister

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I got my $65.00 Maestro SG and it was really quite a bargain. Once I put on the adjustable bridge, Wilkinson tuners and my Duncan Designed HB102, it should be pretty respectable. The finish is really good and the neck is straight. Action is about 2.5 mm at the 12th fret which to me is acceptable for a cheapie. No fret buzz even with the $1 strings that came with the guitar. I'll report back when I get the minor mods done.

Maestro SG.jpg

12. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    It's the Turquoise model but the color varies from an aqua to close to sea-foam green depending upon the lighting.

13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Thanks. On my computer screen the first picture I glanced at was the one of your guitar on the scale. And to me it looks like the Pacific Blue. Then I looked at the other photos which showed the Turqouise model, as did all of the others.

Btw, I came across two new videos. The first one by The Guitar Geek seems pretty promising. "I like it," he said in his summary. He even said IIRW that the tuners seemed OK.

I really sort of liked that yellow finish, too.

The second one by Dave Whipple (Whip's Cheap Guitars) is an unboxing and first impressions but non-playing review in which he seemed concerned by the overall construction of the guitar. He said he will provide a later review in which he plays the thing.

14. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I totally agree. I'm not a huge fan of the blobby Melody Maker type pick-guard but it has grown on me and it will make it a good mod platform.
    The finish on this is really nice. I think the two bursts actually look better than the bright colors but I wanted the gloss poly since my P-90 Special has the satin finish. I even considered the Yellow.

Other stuff.

I am impressed with the packing of these budget guitars. It arrived double bagged and double boxed with Cortec VpCi anti corrosion paper running the length of the strings. (which is kinda funny since the stock strings are kinda rubbish and should be replaced as soon as possible). That being said, once these stock strings were properly stretched, the guitar stays in tune.

15. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Cool. Thanks Ralph. The tuners aren't the best but they work fine and the guitar stays in tune with them. I'll be changing them but mainly because I enjoy the modding process.
    I also really like the stock pickups but I might try something else for fun.

Here's what I have set aside but I'll know more once I take her apart. Epi LP SL parts.jpg

16. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I don't understand marketing. Sweetwater and Sam Ash have five of the six finishes in stock (no Turquoise at SW and no heritage cherry sunburst as in the second video at Sam Ash) while Musician's Friend and Guitar Center still are showing Feb. 28 for the blue, yellow and turquoise finishes.

Kenneth Mountain and theflow like this.
  17. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Looks-wise that guitar just screams to be used for late fifties, feel-good, rock. Buddy Holly and the like.

I know, I know, that's not what Buddy played. But I bet he would have been tempted to had it been available!

There is so much dour music being made these days. Maybe we all have a moral obligation to get one of these, put on a big smile, and have some innocent but real FUN! :D

ROCK n ROLL!!!!

-don

18. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I couldn't help myself. I went to re-string it and decided to go ahead and replace the tuners. They are a straight-forward simple drop-in replacement that took only a half hour to do. Just like on the Epi P90 Special, one screw hole per machine is left showing after the swap. This is such a pretty finish I will probably minimize this by filling them in and touching them up with a tiny bit of matching nail polish. Totally unnecessary but so easy to do. Once I have the time I will install the mini-hums. They will fit fine in the routing and the pickguard mod is straight forward as well.
    A set of P90s will nearly fit but a very small amount of Dremel work will be necessary.

New Tuners 001.jpg

19. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    OK, OK. I surrender. I just called WWBW and told the rep to cancel my Feb. 28 estimated arrival date for that Pacific Blue Epiphone SL and instead switched to the Heritage Cherry Sunburst, which is in stock, and should be sent out Monday or Tuesday and I should get it by next Friday or Monday.

I have three or four guitars in the traditional sunburst but really nothing like that.

I'm still getting it for about $79, too.