NFD: The Firefly has landed ... now where's my bug spray?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Ralph124C41, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Just jokin'

After a refreshing snowfall last night the UPS truck delivered my $139.91 Amazon purchase. It was ordered Jan. 1 when I think there were 10 in this blue burst finish available, down from about 290 a couple of weeks ago. The red finish was already gone when I ordered it and a few days later the remaining sunburst and black finishes were sold out too.

OK, the pics, right?
    1001-120504.jpg

Sorry, the blue isn't showing all that well but you get the jest. It is a set neck btw. The back is a solid black, no burst pattern.

The below pic shows that maybe the bone nut needs all the slots deepened. This has been a common complaint but generally it was that one or two of the slots needs deepening. It plays OK but just feels a little high. What do you folks think? Is there a way to measure what the height between the bottom of the strings and the fretboard should be like on this semi-hollow?

I present you with this:
    1001-120606.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the pics.

Some thoughts: Everything seems to work OK. The input must have a strong spring because it takes a little effort to get in and out but at least it won't fall out. Fret ends seem pretty smooth, which was a common complaint. However a common complaint is that the rosewood or faux rosewood or whatever it is dry, which is the case with this one, and that playing the guitar will turn your fingers black ... as has happened. Some dye is put on it to darken and I don't know if I should apply something to remove the dye or just let it disappear over time... and make sure to wash my hands after playing. what do you think?

The tone and volume controls and pickup selector switch work very well. One complaint was that you could plainly see the interior wires through the F holes but you can't with mine unless you look very closely and at an angle.

Intonation, surprisingly at least to me, seems pretty much spot on after letting the guitar acclimate but could be a tad better.

The strings are junk ... which just about everybody has reported. But I have a set of GHS Burnished Nickel 10s I will try.

The pickups sound ... OK. I really don't agree with these reviewers who claim they are wonderful. They are not bad, they don't seem muddy, but they just don't seem exciting or very warm. However for an under $140 beater guitar I will leave out on the stand they will work fine and after a change of strings and a pro setup I expect the guitar will sound a lot better. I still have the ceramic pickups I had taken out of my Ibanez AS73 but frankly I think the neck pickup sounds a little clearer on the Firefly.

I will take it in to my guitar "guy" later this week to get his thoughts on it, especially about maybe having to charge me to deepen those slots. As I said I don't have the skill or the tools to do this myself.

Btw, the guitar came double-boxed, also an improvement over some earlier runs in which the owners said their guitars came in one box and loosely packed.

No candy but the guitar also came with a braided guitar cable, which I haven't tested, as well as an assortment of picks and a pick holder and neck wrench. You know, in my life I have owned hundreds, maybe thousands of picks, ... but I have never owned a pick holder. So now I do.

Am I keeping it? I will see what my "guy" thinks how much money I will have to put into it.

Sorry for being wordy but ... hey, that's me. I'd like to be frank with you folks ... but instead I will just be ralph.

Attached Files:

fadetoz, VealCutlet, theflow and 10 others like this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    For all the little nits, all I can say is "Wow, what a buy!"

-don

3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    On the stain/dye:
    I lemon-oiled the neck on mine, and polished it until the rag came back clean.

My intonation was also spot on, but on the nut... I pretty much just deepened the slots using the ends of the new strings I put on (light sawing motion with the correct break angle on the tuners side).

Pickups are good enough to keep.

4. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Man, that's a beauty !!!

theflow, johnnywizzo and Taurus like this.
  5. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    It looks cool :)

theflow and johnnywizzo like this.
  6. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    Ya cant beat a price like that, great modding platform. Good lookin guitar.

7. Tele-kitty

Tele-kitty Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    Oh that’s such a pretty color. And great price for it. Grats!

8. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Although my million-word post I should have added that for the value and the overall condition, it's amazing, especially the fact of the intonation. I forget to add a lot of reviewers said the action was high; mine certainly isn't and if I take radiotech's advice I can just adapt the bone nut a little.

Oh, I forgot to add it's a bone nut. Not plastic. Bone. (Earlier models came with a free strap but a plastic nut. I much prefer a bone nut. Very, very few of my electrics have a bone nut. In fact, none. All of my acoustics, however, have a bone nut except for my Esteban whateveritis.

theflow likes this.
  9. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Here's an update and a question:

I took it to my guitar "guy" yesterday and he looked it over quickly (and free). The first thing he noted was that the bass side bridge post was not fully inserted. However he detuned the low E string and tried to wiggle the bridge and it was not moving so he did say it looked a little wrong but that he could find no reason to fix it.

I find the issue in this video: The reviewer said (at about the 7:07 mark) was that the stud was raised a little bit because the contour of the body would only accept so much of the post. He may be right because as I look at the post I see that the side towards the middle of the guitar seems flush or almost flush but the bass side of the post shows the slight gap. And I now see that the treble side post shows a slightly similar image, but the gap is a lot smaller.

He shows the problem at around the 1:09 point. Actually that post looks higher up than mine. Mine is about 1/16 th up at the max.

So do you folks think I should be concerned?

As for the rest of the things I noted, the black residue from the fingerboard has gone away. However to me that seems to suggest the fretboard is not rosewood but some other kind of wood, or synthetic, that has been dyed. It is still dry and a little splotchy but I will give it a dose of lemon oil and maybe follow that up with some of my Music Nomad F-One Oil.

The nut seems to have been cut OK, the guitar tech guy said, at least it in the specs. Again I may try to file the slots a little deeper at some point.

The guitar shop "guy" overall was impressed with the guitar, especially how it sounded when I play it for him. He said all it needed was a setup (and he seemed to suggest I could skip that for now.) He also said because it was intonated correctly he would do the setup for about 50 percent to 60 percent of his normal charge. However I imagine i will pay the full charge because I want to try those GHS strings to give a little warmer tone.

mdparent03, theflow and mbroadus like this.
  10. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Amazon has a great return policy. If you are not 100% satisfied, i'd return it.....

theflow likes this.
  11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Did you have a chance to read my updated posting?

I've already contacted Amazon and in fact a rep is calling me back today in a few hours. Amazon has already approved a return, but that was based upon my earlier questions. Overall I'm satisfied ... but I remain worried about that bridge post. I have a very similar Ibanez AS-73, same overall size, same body depth , same arched body with a similar bridge. The Ibby has no gap on either post. Until recently I had an Epiphone Sheraton II and I don't remember any raised post either on that model ... so I'm not really buying that Youtube reviewer's explanation.

And yes, although the fretboard has stopped "bleeding" black ink it should have not been that way in the first place I think.

I will talk to the Amazon rep later today.

theflow likes this.
  12. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Many guitar manufacturers dye their fretboards with dye to darken the fretboard. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are trying to misrepresent their product. Both of my Agile guitars came with dyed fretboards. One is ebony and the other rosewood.

theflow likes this.
  13. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    HNGD (a little late, sorry)!

theflow likes this.
  14. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I did not know that. I don't have any Agiles but I have a few SXs and a Douglas, cheaper models than the Agile lines, and none had a dyed fingerboard. But as I said the dye has disappeared but I was surprised still to see it on my hands.

In fact, I've re-read the current Amazon web page listing and it doesn't say what the fingerboard material is.

I'm still worried about that bridge post.

Btw2, I said I didn't like the strings but they do appear to be D'Addarios as others have said, at least they have the color-coded ball ends. And they have lost a lot of their initial brittleness and now sound OK ... but I still like the sound of pure nickels.

theflow likes this.
  15. mbroadus

mbroadus Squier-Meister

Dec 31, 2012
    jax
    Sounds great, Don't worry about the dye. Clean the fretboard as others have said and don't worry about it.

Did I say, Don't worry about it?

Enjoy the guitar, sounds like you got a good one ........ and don't worry about it!

matt

theflow likes this.
  16. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    How about the post? The dye and nut are OK.

theflow likes this.
  17. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I’ve had a number of Epi’s with dyed/stained fretboards, The firefly was actually less so than the Epi’s I’ve experienced.
    On the bridge posts, while you won’t see it on a Gibson, or an Ibanez, I see it on Epi’s and other brands regularly. With an arched top, there’s only two ways to avoid it. One is to countersink the top to allow the post to fully sit flush (what Ibby, Gibson, PRS do), or use a insert that has a tilt to the lip of it to match the top angle (rare).
    I’ve pointed this issue out on a number of guitars I’ve posted here, most notably my former Jack Casady signature bass.
    The real issue is if it’s loose, but even then just a dab of wood glue will fix you just insert it as far as it will go without damaging the wood. It’s not worth returning it for that reason, because almost any one you get might have a bit of it.

johnnywizzo, VealCutlet and theflow like this.
  18. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    First congrats ! Second I second everything @radiotech said !
    Enjoy !:)

radiotech likes this.
  19. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Don't concerned at all about the posts. Impossible the get a flat surface (the bottom of the post) to sit flat all the way around the surface on an arched (not flat) surface. I have three semi-hollows and that is the case with all three. They are going nowhere.

johnnywizzo and radiotech like this.
  20. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    radiotech, the flow, and Caddy, thank you for your explanations. As I said the other semi-hollows I've had in the past didn't have that condition. I think the guitar tech followed radiotech's advice and checked to see if it was stable and it was.

I'm interested to see how that batch of thinline Tele clones will be. No price yet but they are expected out next month, maybe early next month, because the earlier prediction was for later this month.

radiotech likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice