Next Barncaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by guitarmikey, Aug 2, 2018.

1. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Squier-Meister

Feb 2, 2013
    Bucharest - RO
    Well, not a real barncaster, but still, old reclaimed pine, amazon neck and so on... Still under work.
    Hope someone will love it... 2017-11-20 13.40.02.jpg 2018-08-01 19.49.51.jpg

2. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Old pine looks great! Grab a chrome trim ring for the neck pickup from GFS (or elsewhere) to finish off the "no pickguard" look.

3. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Guitars.

Some wood. Some magnets. Some electric gizmos and whatnot.

Changed the goshdarn world for a few generations.

Who woullda thunkit.

Nicely done.

4. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    Love that body !

5. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Meister

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    That's BEAUTIFUL, man!!! I just got a CV 50's tele, so I guess I'm currently on a "pine" kick... Cheap, pretty, and gets the job done! Just like Squiers! I REALLY love the look of solid "no pickguard" Teles... I've never worked with wood in my life, but this post seriously makes me want to try to build one of these "cutting boards with a neck"... I've been wantin a guitar for heavier music, and one of these with some humbuckers in it would get me there, I think... I might just have to look into makin myself a "Tenn-A-Caster"

6. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

You should definitely do that if you're interested but for your first attempt I would seriously consider a rough-sanded "ebay" body where the routes / neck pocket have been already done. That way you can focus on choosing components, sanding it out, finishing and assembly - the fun stuff - and don't have to worry about whether or not the neck pocket is "to spec", the control cavity is deep enough or in the right place, the pickup cavities are aligned etc.

7. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I love the natural aged look of that body - and I bet it has a TON of mojo in those wood cells! :)

8. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I think it looks better without one of those rings - the only thing I would change is adding conductive black paint in the route ? I have two like that ? I gotta post some pics ! The best part is no screw holes where a PG would be ?

squierbilly and willhowl like this.
  9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
  10. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier Talker

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    Looks great, love the no pickguard look, great for showing off the wood grain.

11. guitarmikey

Feb 2, 2013
    Bucharest - RO
    Thank you all for appreciating my work! It is the second approach for such a guitar, first was a single HH strat with lacquered neck. Left me in a wink, so I decided to go for a Tele style... still thinking about that ring on neck pup, people seems to want it badly! Maybe I”ll make a DIY one from a material that blends better with the wood...

Kenneth Mountain and willhowl like this.
  12. guitarmikey

Feb 2, 2013
    Bucharest - RO
    Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  13. guitarmikey

Feb 2, 2013
    Bucharest - RO
    ...sorry, I see no attach on previous, so...

Attached Files:

14. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Looks Killer, guitarmikey....I love that look, I like my guitars either Factory Fresh, or....Beat to S***........that Tele is unique........

Only thing is, it doesn't have enough knots in it!!!!! Har Har........Very Nice........willhowl;):eek:

15. guitarmikey

Feb 2, 2013
    Bucharest - RO
    I know what you mean, willhowl, here is my version with added knots... (gone now)

Attached Files:

16. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Love it... Pine Tele's are awesome. This is mine.
    IMG_20180512_214756437.jpg

17. guitarmikey

Feb 2, 2013
    Bucharest - RO
    Indeed pine works great, even a great natural resonance that I love when no amp around...
    Here my first attempt with reclaimed pine, very next to yours, fadetoz...

Attached Files:

18. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    I'd be embarrassed telling you how long I've been sitting on this cedarcaster. I just don't have the time to stop and put it together. Looking at the work that you guys are turning out should be incentive enough. Nice job everyone. DSCN2290.JPG

19. guitarmikey

Feb 2, 2013
    Bucharest - RO
    Good looking this seethrough, great job! Go on, surf green, do it and play it. Loud!!!