News from Birddog's Custom Shop!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Birddog144, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Thank you. I'm more than up for a trade..... I'm really looking for a '68 Deluxe Reverb Reissue, or a '68 Vibrolux Reverb Reissue. ;)

2. Ken Rose

Ken Rose Squier-holic

Sep 23, 2010
    Northern California
    DaveDrums and theflow like this.
  3. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    The real OMG will be when I get to play Secret Project X² with the uber-special Rose P90s!!! I have a sticky load in my pants already. :rolleyes:

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Well, the electronics for Secret Project X² showed up from The Art of Tone. Got everything soldered up as much as possible. Now I'm just waiting for paint and primer to show up.

5. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    As I was perusing the local Craigslist yesterday, I saw two great deals. The first was a Classic Vibe Thinline Tele in excellent condition for $130. I texted the guy within 21 minutes of his posting being published. I followed up with an email. About 8 hours later I got a message: "Sorry Dude, I already sold it." :mad:

The other deal was a Cherryburst Standard Strat in quite good condition for less than I see Affinities and Bullets in the SoCal area. I did snag that one :cool: and may either clean it and flip it, or mod the hell out of it and flip it. Time will tell. I have to finish Secret Project X² before even thinking about that one.

mdparent03 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    So my paint showed up today. I rattled the primer can for a while and started spraying. I got about 1-1/2 seconds of spray before''' pbffffffftt. It clogged and splattered. Fortunately, I ordered two cans. I shook the other and had the same problem. :mad:

Now what??:(

7. Garyth

Garyth Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2013
    Florida
    old stock, need to shake it more? can have bad nozzles as well, got an old can that worked?

8. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Old can worked fine, same brand and paint as the new ones.

I tried several nozzles, even bored one out with a 1/16" drill. The clogs are in the rattle cans themselves. I can get about 1 second of spay after a thorough cleaning then splatter.... stop. It's frustrating as hell. Tried shaking them for 1o minutes, heating them with a lamp, putting lacquer thinner in the nozzle hole. What really irritates the most me is these cans were about $18 each with shipping.

I may drill a tiny hole in the top of the can and let out all the propellant, then punch a large hole, pour the paint into a jar, and either shoot it with one of my airbrushes, or just apply the primer with a brush.

9. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY

Well I was going to suggest the brush on method - I thought it would work it's way out ? 18 a piece for primer ? must be special ?

10. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    I kinda thought "the glop" would work its way out of the internal tube, but apparently not. With my bored-out nozzle, I managed to get a sizeable quantity out before the clogging. The paint is pretty thick on there now, I need to give it several days to cure. Then I'll sand (it's REALLY splattered - looks like an interior house wall), then I'll do the "Relieve pressure and airbrush/paintbrush" method.

I'm going to take the color and clear cans over to Home Depot and have them put them on their paint shaker machine. ;)

11. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    In the interim....... I found a nice MIC Cherryburst Standard Series Squier Strat on the local Craigslist for a VERY REASONABLE price and only a 10-minute drive away. So I drove out and swooped it up. As I was going through my parts bin. I found a P-90 pearloid pickguard that fit perfectly. Hmmmmm I thought... :rolleyes: I have those P-90s, I have a pickguard.... Why not? :cool: Stay tuned for photos......

12. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    Yes! More P90 strats. Can't wait to see it.
    IMAG1413.jpg

13. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
  14. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
  15. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    squierbilly, skypeace and radiotech like this.
  16. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
  17. Masshole

Masshole Squier-Meister

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts USA
    rorygman and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  18. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    My July 13 flight:

Lonr Pine to Boundary and Back.png

Flight Profile:

Lp to Boundary Profile.png

19. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Good news, bad news. My guy in the UK (Kevin H.) that makes "THE KIND" Strat trem blocks has taken all his ads off of eBay. I contacted him, and since I am a "regular" customer, he said he will make one for me. He said "I'm still making small quantities, just cutting back for a while."

I gave him the link to this site and my user name. If you missed out on getting one of his trem blocks, then you REALLY missed out. His were the best!

mdparent03 and Kenneth Mountain like this.