NewAmpDay - Super Champ X2

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by VealCutlet, Oct 12, 2017.

1. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier Talker

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I went to GC a few months back, played the Bassbreaker 15 combo, and have had tube amp lust ever since. Unfortunately, it's out of my price range, so I've been cruising Craigslist and used amp listings looking for something more tubey-feeling than my Mustang III. I finally lucked into a nice Super Champ X2. What a great amp this is! I just want to play and listen to this thing - it's hard to turn it off.

I liked my 'Stang III a lot, but it was too much amp for my needs. The variety of sounds and flexibility were great, but it didn't sound good at lower volumes. Most of my playing is late at night for recording, with the occasional jam...which happened too infrequently for me to take advantage of the amp's 100 watts of S/S power.

The SCX2 has (IMO) has the sound and feel of a tube-driven amp (yes, I know it's a tube-S/S hybrid) and gives me what I need at lower volumes. I'm getting into pedals these days, so the onboard FX aren't going to get used much, apart from the reverb.

Tele56, surfrodguitar, so1om and 6 others like this.
  2. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    HNAD!!

I love the SCx2, it is SO easy to use and sounds fantastic. Keep in mind that Ch1 is ALL Tube ... only Ch2 is the SS/Tube hybrid

Tele56, kjmac and VealCutlet like this.
  3. hudsonnh

hudsonnh Squier-holic

Aug 28, 2011
    Marshall, VA
    Is that true?
    I don't dispute that channel 1 is all tube, I just figured it also went through the digital section too.
    At any rate - I have an SCXD (not X2) and love channel 1 but I also use a couple of the models 2, 6, 9 and 11 mostly

Tele56 and IronSchef like this.
  4. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Yeah, I can't seem to locate it in the manual - but, as it was explained to me, CH1 is a Tube Pre-amp stage, and Tube Power Stage (with or without the onboard digital effects) - where as Ch2 uses the SS preamp w/ the models, then the Tube Power stage.

I seem to find myself using stock models 10-11-12-13 the most - and I have not even felt the need to tweak them :) ... but I also use Ch1 alot, for cleans and also w/ a Mesa Throttlebox in front to push my input signal

Tele56 and VealCutlet like this.
  5. Paully

Paully Squier-holic

May 29, 2014
    Maine USA
    HNSCX2D.
    Enjoy ;)

VealCutlet likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    My understanding is that DSP is used in every channel, so I wouldn't think it "all-tube". Doesn't matter though, because these amps are superb. I have the older SCXD, love it. I mainly use 1, 3, and 8.

Congrats Veal!

Tele56 and VealCutlet like this.
  7. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    It's pretty much known that even channel one goes through digital at the pre amp on both the SCXD and SCX2. It doesn't really matter with these amps. They are really sweet amps, great for home and small venues! Play around with speaker swaps or cabs and tube brands etc and you can get all kinds of pleasing results. With the digital thing I don't really care either way, it's a non issue to me! I love mine!!

Tele56 and Caddy like this.
  8. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

That's right. I came close to buying one or the Super Champ XD so I read up about how that first channel is set up. However, I finally got around to testing one ... and I just impressed enough to make me buy one. It just didn't do anything that my Bugera V22 and my Mustang III V2.0 couldn't already do. However if I didn't have one of those amps already I think I would have gotten one.

Tele56 and Pat V. like this.
  9. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Tele56 likes this.
  10. Ken Rose

Ken Rose Squier-holic

Sep 23, 2010
    Northern California
    Congrats. I have a SuperChamp XD and an X2. I like both, and actually prefer the OEM speaker in a custom pine slant box. It is full and clear in a separate enclosure. The Ragin Cajun I have in my X2 is lacking to my ears... unless in a separate box like the OEM Speaker. I would love to know what other speakers work well in these amps without spending a bunch trying to figure it out.

Tele56 and Pat V. like this.
  11. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I put a Weber Signature S10 Ceramic in my SCXD and it was a marked improvement for sure! I have heard the Ragin Cajun is a popular mod for this amp because it is high efficiency and gives a volume boost to the SCXD. The Weber did seem to increase the volume but modestly so. I should mention that I put in a Tung-Sol 12AX7 and a matched pair of Electro Harmonix 6V6 GTs in and adjusted the bias which was set cold all at the same time. Just to mention that these amps were notorious for being set cold at the factory and many people I've read had the same issue as mine. Mine was set at 30mV, it should be 40mV. I've never attempted this before but it went well. This info could help. http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=663345

12. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Congrats!! I love mine!

VealCutlet likes this.
  13. Dcbowling80

Dcbowling80 Dr. Squier

Aug 26, 2014
    Laplata MD
    Congrats those are great little amps. I had one for a while and I loved it.

VealCutlet likes this.
  14. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-Meister

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Great amp that is. I had both a XD and a X2 head for a while. I kept the XD that sound better to my ears. But ... I play it through a home made open back 2X12 cab. It is a whole other ball game like this. Full, rich and much louder.

Jet City 12 Eminence I got for $50 each.

Jet-City Eminence.jpg

2X12.jpg

BorderRadio and Ken Rose like this.