New (used) Polytone Amp Day - Mini Brute II- Anyone have a manual?

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by drewcp, May 14, 2019.

1. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I picked this amp up because most of them that I’ve seen seem to sell for $250-400, and I got it for considerably less, but this one seems to be stuck on the distortion channel. I’ll have to try a footswitch when I get home.

I think it’a a 4th Gen but I can find a manual or any documentation for it anywhere. Even stuck on the distortion channel, it might just be good enough for me to return my Bugera V5.

Then again, if I can’t figure it out, I might just try to flip it. This is my first experience with a Polytone, so I’m not super attached to it yet.

53EFB8FF-494C-401D-9980-9F66FE33040C.jpeg A6A5A561-C4DA-4720-9256-9019D4731AAB.jpeg 1AC9C351-C981-43C2-A7B0-C0425FC85237.jpeg C42017C0-F450-4089-A426-18BB46099683.jpeg 33784564-086E-490A-A8FC-21C36CD4ECE9.jpeg

so1om likes this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

The owner's manual and schematics are available online.

3. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    The only ones I have been able to find are for the newer versions with the Sonic Circuit or more/different knobs. I’ve trolled through Jazz Guitar online, which seems to be the most data rich forum for over an hour, and have not been able to find the information for this configuration.

4. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Alright, so, no schematic or manual yet...
    However, I did learn (through testing) that I can have access to both channels with a foot switch.

It’s definitely just set, or stuck, on the distortion channel if I don’t have a footswitch connected.

The clean channel now that I have access to it is really wowing me. The Strat I’m testing with has never sounded Strat-ier.

so1om and daan like this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    I've 0wned a number of Polytone amps, very nice for cleans.

drewcp likes this.
  6. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Without a footswitch, you might try pluggign in a speaker cable and short the other end of the cable.

drewcp likes this.
  7. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    That's a good idea.
    I realized on the way out of my house this morning I have an extra Peavey footswitch that's not getting used for anything right now.

8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up keeping this amp. For what I paid (less than my Bugera V5) I think it would be silly to let it go. Then again, I may post both for sale, and if one doesn't move by this weekend, I can return the V5 to GC.

9. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    WAIT!

Some amps did NOT use shielded guitar cable for a footswitch, but rather 2 conductors that are separated and not shielded. It is like that for my Frontman 212r. They send voltage to the pedal to power the LED and just like a speaker cable to a cabinet, it's 2 discrete conductor. You may fry the amp!

(that's actually what happened with my 212r. Luckily, warranty,.... Hey. I think that's my downfall with amps. the footswitch, lol!)

10. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    o_O:rolleyes: I DON'T think shielded cable is OK for a footswitch, hence my answer above ... posted below.

so1om likes this.
  11. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    This amp can use a normal TRS universal type footswitch.

12. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    that is not necessarily indicative of the type of cable used.

13. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Interesting. I didn't know there were TRS cables that are not balanced/shielded.

The old Polytone foot switches, and the 3rd party footswitch I'm using with it for now, do not have a detachable cable. So, the "type" doesn't really factor in.

EDIT: Amount of shielding could vary, I suppose, depending on the manufacturers intended purpose for the cable.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  14. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    My Princeton reverb (all Fender Vibrato/Reverb dual switches) use a cable that has one conductor that's shielded, the other is outside of that shield -not detachable. Yet the Frontman 212r has aa 1/4 plug at each end (with molded ends) that is 2 conductor, no shield. Only cutting it open will allow you to know that. Otherwise it looks like a guitar cable.

I just want to be sure nothing bad happens to the amp. I'm unfamiliar with Polytone so I cannot help that much. But good information you have and i'll file that into my database.

I DO have a soft spot for uncommon gear, esp those that were in higher regard during their prime. There are lots of Bugeras right now, but I would def go for this first.

How is the reverb on this?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice