New Project Started - A Kurt Inspired Mustang!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by IronSchef, Oct 6, 2017.

1. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    I am going to try and do this w/ a dremmel - I wish I had a real router

theflow and Dcbowling80 like this.
  2. Dcbowling80

Dcbowling80 Dr. Squier

Aug 26, 2014
    Laplata MD
    If you have a Harbor Freight around, they sell a trim router for like $25.

theflow and squierbilly like this.
  3. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Oh, well - I needed to do this out on the balcony and it was raining pretty hard when I got home --- looks like this will have to wait for the weekend. The good thing is that I should have everything I need to complete the build this weekend, so I hopefully can knock out the whole thing :)

theflow and Smokijo like this.
  4. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    felt courageous when I got home today - and spun up the drill and Dremel cutting wheel ... I am pretty happy w the way it came out, I think it cut even cleaner than I expected. The metal ring proved to be a pretty nice guide (the wheel did not really cut into the metal, but ripped through the PG plastic)

2017-10-11 16.16.59.jpg

The Dremel DID run away from me once - surprised me how fast it grabbed and ran along the ring and through the tape on the other side -- yes, that is a fresh scar just to the right of the new cut-out

Next step is going to be getting at the wood

squierbilly, Dcbowling80 and theflow like this.
  5. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    alrighty then ... so I ;earned about the Dremel "cutting wheels" ... they work pretty good on plastic - but shatter and fly everywhere when you try to cut into wood with it and even the slightest bit of a twist. I guess I should have read the warning on the little piece of paper in the cutting kit :)

So, I went to the sanding/grinding drum and went to town on the route freehand :eek:

There was sawdust, smoke, vacuum, repeat going on for a while - then finally: 2017-10-11 19.37.09.jpg

I was QUITE surprised at how well it went, actually, as this is really the first time I ever used a Dremel :)

Everything does seem to fit

2017-10-11 19.37.54.jpg

I know Kurt mounted his JBs right to the body -- but I think my version is going to do a black mounting ring for the HB ... I want to be able to adjust the height, plus it looks cleaner

Getting all torqued up in anticipation of putting her together this weekend!! :cool:

6. Dcbowling80

Dcbowling80 Dr. Squier

Aug 26, 2014
    Laplata MD
    It turned out alright.
    The day I got mine I took a router to it to route for the pickup feet. I couldn't stand not being able to adjust the JB. I routed it so I could pickguard mount and adjust it... Turns out I just hated the JB, lol. I loved it in my blue Mustang but it sounded muddy in the orange one. It's weird, it had great clarity and definition in the blue but lacked all of that in the orange and the only difference was the orange was alder, the blue is basswood.
    That's when I found out I like the neutrality of a basswood body..

theflow likes this.
  7. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Thanks @Dcbowling80 !

Yeah, I have been struggling w/ the idea of mounting to the body - I imagine he had a reason, but I really cannot see that making as much of a difference (if any) as the other mods did. Glad this Mustang is Basswood! :) The Mustang I just finished last month is alder - and I LOVE the way the Rose Mustang pickups sound in that guitar ... and I love the way it plays, too (which I think can be attributed to the shorter scale length). This one is going to be a different beast w/ the same shape :cool:

8. Dcbowling80

Dcbowling80 Dr. Squier

Aug 26, 2014
    Laplata MD
    Kurt wasn't a tone freak, I think his tech did it that way because when he routed it, it was just easier to screw it down. Some people think it makes a difference but if it does most people can't hear it.
    I've got Rose Jag pickups in mine (in Mustang covers and I love em. The JB just didn't suit that specific guitar. The shorter scale does make a difference, my short scale Strat has a different type of tone than my standard scale.

theflow likes this.
  9. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    thanks to @Dcbowling80 , I now have my hot dog flipped and my vibrato locked!!

(Its not really as painful as it sounds ;))

2017-10-16 17.18.36.jpg

I also have been messing around fine tuning the new HB route in the body, and making sure I have enough clearance for the screws

tomorrow evening is now set for final assembly!! :cool:

10. Dcbowling80

Dcbowling80 Dr. Squier

Aug 26, 2014
    Laplata MD
    Lol I'm glad they worked out for you.

theflow likes this.
  11. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I am waiting to see this machine!

theflow and IronSchef like this.
  12. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Well, I spent most of the time since I got home soldering, testing, assembling, measuring ... all was going quite well until I started putting on the strings --- dang it, looks like I am going to need to shim the neck. "NGD" gonna be delayed a few more days now while I await Stewmac order. :(

13. Dcbowling80

Dcbowling80 Dr. Squier

Aug 26, 2014
    Laplata MD
    I used the small washers on top of the plate so the strings could thread thru and wrap like normal. If that's not how your stringing it, you xan take em out, as long as the bottom washers are on, it won't bend the plate.

theflow likes this.
  14. Dcbowling80

Dcbowling80 Dr. Squier

Aug 26, 2014
    Laplata MD
    Just out of curiosity, how are you stabilizing the bridge? Are you doing the Tune-O-Matic? Either way, if you haven't stabilized it, I may have something for that too. When I've done Tune-O-Matic's I've doweled the bridge pin holes and redrilled em, they have to tilt to get intonation alot of times anyway.

theflow likes this.
  15. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Actually, I did not use the TOM bridge ... what I had, I thought was a "vintage" style TOM, but it turned out to be the newer style, with the bigger posts, so I left the Mustang Bridge in.

I see what you meant by break angle, and how it changes when you flip that tail piece, and I may end up flipping it back, but keeping it locked down, to restore the break angle. But I do not think My issue now is that, its this -

2017-10-18 06.03.13.jpg

and that is with the bridge and saddles pretty much as low as they can go. From what I can tell so far, I think the relief on the neck is fine - I think this neck just sits at a bad angle in this body. Ordered a set of shims from Stew-mac

theflow likes this.
  16. Dcbowling80

Dcbowling80 Dr. Squier

Aug 26, 2014
    Laplata MD
    Yea mixing becks and bodies from different countries always gives a few problems. 3/4 of a business card or 2 will fix that.

17. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI