New Partscaster Tele Build

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by kjmac, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:20 AM.

1. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Meister

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I am getting ready to start another build, this time more involved. I’m starting with a naked ash body and a Maple neck and I want to keep the natural ash grain and simply clear coat the neck. Then I will finish it off with a Tortoise pick guard kind of like the model made by G&L.

After watching video after video regarding natural guitar finishes, I am down to making the decision between Tru Oil and wipe-on poly. I’ve already prepped the neck, rounded the frets and polished them so I have the frets masked off and it’s ready to go. The body should be in early next week.

What has been your experience with hand rubbed finishes? It appears they turn out pretty nice if you have the time and patience. I’ve got the time and I’m working on the patience. One of the videos I watched incorporated a mix of 50% high gloss polyurethane and 50% mineral spirits. Then he applied numerous coats lightly resurfacing with 0000 steel wool between coats and finally buffing the body to a mirror finish. The neck will be less gloss as I will dress the back of the neck with steel wool when finished to create a satin finish. BTW, the neck is all Maple and I plan to finish the finger board.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. I will begin posting pictures as soon as the real work gets under way.

2. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Keep us updated, and throw on lots of in-process pictures. :)

Sounds like a lot of fun.

3. DADGAD

DADGAD Squier Talker

Nov 1, 2017
    California
    Regarding hand rubbed finishes, I dig it. I'm new to finishing but am quite happy with the results I'm getting with Watco Danish Oil. It really makes the grain pop and feels great to the touch. I stripped a Squier SE maple/RW Strat neck and and rubbed it with Danish Oil after hand sanding it with Scotch Brite pads. It feels marvelous. Really a joy to play.

Below is my pinecaster, also with two coats of hand rubbed Danish Oil. I really like the results. It started as a MIM Fender Tele. You can see the body "before and after" hand rubbing with Danish Oil.

In the raw:

[​IMG]

After two coats of Danish Oil Natural:

[​IMG]

Completed project:

[​IMG]

4. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    I'm doing 2 Tele's with Truoil right now ,one thinline ASH top,mahogany back, one regular (ALDER) and it does take time,if you put it on straight out of the bottle it builds up too fast (imho) so I thin it with mineral spirits,2 or 3 light coats a day, sand back with 0000 steel wool and repeat until you are happy with it. I feel when you use thinned Truoil you don't even need to buff in the end. (I've never tried poly) :)

Kenneth Mountain and jefffam like this.
  5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I'm doing a tru oil myself - please post a bunch of pic's - and remember exactly what you did - great thread ! thanks Ken

chimneysweep likes this.
  6. chimneysweep

chimneysweep Squier-Nut

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    Tru oil gives a slight golden yellow tint does it

7. squier-esquire

squier-esquire Squier-holic

May 27, 2012
    USA
    Tru-oil works the best in my experience. It’s easy, forgiving and there really is no more prep work than anything else. I’ve done a few mahogany necks and an ash body. On some builds for a friend of mine. Once you finish, polish and put it all together it’s awe inspiring.