New Partscaster Build

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by fadetoz, Aug 28, 2019.

1. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    You switched to a maple FB. Vintage 50's look, nice job.

dbrian66 and fadetoz like this.
  2. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    GREAT job, I could watch this all day bro.

3. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Yeah the plan changed a little. I thought the pups were MIM but they are Squier. I've been wanting to setup a guitar with the cheap Squier ceramics just so people can hear how good they can really sound. Hope it works out well. I have a plan to make them sound really good.

4. I am surprised that the ebony is like that. Back in '94 when I bought my Stratocaster Plus, the Stratocaster Ultra had the ebony board and it was black. It was $300 more than the Plus, so I passed.
    Cheers, Barrie.

5. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Yeah the new ones are just luck of the draw what you get. Some are totally different colors. Get off my lawn and make sure my fretboard is one color.

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. I don't mind rosewood with some character variation, but I like my ebony uniform.
    Cheers, Barrie.

7. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    The other neck is going on the tele build now.
    IMG_20190915_213247.jpg

8. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Pickup covers and knobs are a bit darker than I would usually do but I like how they turned out. They wouldn't take the stain from he tea or coffee so I ended up using the same tint I use for necks. The before picture was after they had soaked for over a week in tea. Bummer... But some of the import plastics just wont take a stain. I will say this whole project is pretty much on the cheap. So I'm not spending $ or ordering parts like I normally would. I usually order a aged plastic set and a mint PG for a build. But this one is just a project on the cheap. The end result should be pretty cool and I hope to show how a low budget guitar with some cheap parts and a little work can make a nice guitar that sounds good. I can't wait to hear it with these so called junk pickups.
    20190914_214925-COLLAGE.jpg

RhinestoneStrat and dbrian66 like this.
  9. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I think the tremolo block is the most expensive part. But my tech gave it to me so I'm not going to turn it away. I think they are like $65 new and he took it out of the new package and handed it to me. IMG_20190828_224318564.jpg IMG_20190828_224325954.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  10. I read that a couple of times … and finally realized you meant "block". What material is used with that one?
    Cheers, Barrie.

fadetoz likes this.
  11. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    That's a really nice looking block, can't wait to see and hear how the guitar turns out!

I actually really liked my ceramics on my CY98. There were two reasons why I removed them: The bridge would squeal like mad with high gain, and I really wanted to try Lace Sensors after reading late 80's and early 90's guitar magazines. My guitar is almost, but not quite, a Squier Plus in the Strat Plus style. I didn't do TBX or roller nut though.

fadetoz likes this.
  12. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    lol... I should proofread a little more..
    It's 1018 Cold-Rolled Steel. Whatever that means.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  13. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

The bridge is probably the part that's 1018 steel. The block looks like pot metal. A magnet would give a clue.

14. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

fadetoz likes this.
  15. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    It's high quality stuff. If my tech hadn't given it to me I wouldn't have purchased it. That stuff is higher end than I would pay for. I don't know if the price justifies the amount of better tone or not.

I hope the guitar is done this next weekend. I want to see what it sounds like.

RhinestoneStrat and Triple Jim like this.
  16. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I still need to do some adjustments on this but it's done. I will get a sound clip this weekend. It sounds really good especially for having cheap Squier pickups in it.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190919225510556_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20190919225537451_COVER.jpg IMG_20190919_225608.jpg IMG_20190919_225627.jpg IMG_20190919_202650.jpg

17. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I still need to do the setup but did a quick video with it at lunch. Used the Champ with the TC reverb and a Low End Effects OD and compressor.

surf green likes this.
  18. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Couple more pictures. Did some adjustments tonight. Replaced a bad cap that caused the neck tone pot to not work and had to adjust the neck a little and shimmed it. That helped with a little height adjustment pm the saddles and I have a little more adjustment on the pickup height too. I like to have the middle pup a little low to give it a little more quack.
    These cheap pickups actually do sound pretty good IMO and being ceramic they play rather nice with drive along with a good clean sound. I wanted this to represent what you can make a stock Squier sound like. only mod would be the treble bleed. of course I forgot to put all the PG screws back so It has 4 in it rite now.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191010213940553_COVER.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20191010222003367_COVER.jpg

19. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    He'll yea.... Nice job. I've tried soaking covers in strong coffee. Nada , no darkening. Love the color of the ones you used the ink on. Nice dark vintage look. Yea I'm diggin it!!!!

fadetoz likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice