New (old) Jazz Bass build

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Bassman96, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Well I've got the neck shimmed and the action exactly where I was hoping to get it. Managed 6/64th on the E and 5/64ths on the G with only a slight case of buzz when the 12th fret is fretted and you really attack the string. I could remedy that by sanding the upper frets at an angle to the rest but that is for another day. I also adjusted the pickup height which I forgot to do yesterday. Once that was all said and done I started playing it and noticed how familiar it felt and played. This feels VERY similar to my old Guild B301 now. Larger body but the way the neck feela and plays is what I loved most about that bass and this one comes very close to that. I do believe I am going to have this guy around a very long time. Been hunting for that feel for close to 20 years now. Thanks for following along. I'm off to build some new callouses...

dbrian66 and daan like this.
  2. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    Finished build looks great! Looks very similar to the photo you were using as reference when picking the color!

dbrian66 and Bassman96 like this.
  3. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    It's a beautiful pro quality bass you've just completed~ now the break in begins! Calluses = natural relic. See where I'm going? But hey, all of the natural wear and tear - you'll be making up for 20 years so you better be wearing that puppy out. She is gorgeous!

dbrian66 and Bassman96 like this.
  4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Man, that turned out fantastic! Very nice job. I found this thread late, so I just read through the whole thing the last couple of days. I just got a Squier bass last week which is why I suddenly had an interest in this thread!

Bassman96 likes this.
  5. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA

It was the shoreline gold pj right? Or am I remembering someone else?

The older Squier Standard series basses are sweet. Really just need a good setup to be playable .... But of course there is always room for upgrades lol

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Yup, that’s the one. Never really messed with bass guitars much so I’m trying to absorb all the info I can! I am definitely going to replace the nut with a Graphtech, change the pots and the jack, and maybe replace the bridge. I think the pickups are going to stay. They sound pretty good to me.

The start of a new journey! LOL

Bassman96 likes this.
  7. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think a lot of folks probably lost interest after the post showing the decal you used. My guess is that it was nicer to stop paying attention, and not say anything at all. There are a good number of people on this forum who have some very powerful feelings about the trademark infringement aspect of putting the Fender logo on things.

Bassman96 and dbrian66 like this.
  8. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Looks good, that’s a cool teal on that body. Pops a bit more than sea foam green.

9. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    Man that looks really good, good job

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice