New (old) Jazz Bass build

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Bassman96, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    At one point in time I had 3 basses (and 5 guitars) at my disposal. Over the last 7ish years that has been sold off to 0. My exwife finally dropped off my box of bass parts that I had purchased nearly 15 years ago (I'm 41 now and I was in my mid 20s when I got all this together) and had been in storage in Texas (I live in Washington St) this whole time and never completed (long story that involves joining the Navy and pcsing away from my parts lol). So NOW I can finally get this built and have a bass to play again! When I originally ordered everything I spared no expense (young and dumb I guess) so it is all genuine Fender parts and All Parts body and neck. The original neck is a fretless and since this is going to be my main for a while I ordered a bound and inlayed neck on ebay ($40!). The new neck is pretty nice for the price (a bit orange but I can work with that). Anyway this is where it stands now. The body still needs a ton of sanding and prep before I can do more primer and paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    dbrian66, Robb, BlueSquirrel and 7 others like this.
  2. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Paint color has been decided! I went to the big orange today and had a look at what they had and settled on this ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The color is "Ocean Mist" by Rust-Oleum if any of you find yourself in the paint aisle you can see it in person. It was hard to get it to translate well on camera. It's nice blend of the white, blue and green and looks nice with the tort pickguard.

So since this is an Alder body that has been basically unfinished for nearly 20 years save a few coats of muti colored primer (I really had no clue what I was doing back then ao thank goodness these parts had to wait for me to catch up lol) the grain is still pretty open. I've sprayed a few light coats of dewaxed shellac that will cure overnight and get sanded back tomorrow to hopefully seal up the grain. Then I should be doing primer and color tomorrow. I'd like to get the spraying done this week so it can cure up by mid to late May and hopefully be playing it by June. Stay tuned!

[​IMG]

dbrian66, Robb, drewcp and 5 others like this.
  3. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Just realized this should probably have been posted in the Tech Talk forum. Whoops lol. Mods are free to move it if you'd like.

dbrian66 and RoyalWe like this.
  4. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    I used that same paint a while back. It looked really great after I used brown kiwi to do the final polish straight on the paint. It toned it down to a nice vintage look. Didn’t use a clear coat.

5. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Right on. I do plan to shoot some clear over it so I probably won't be able to go that route. I kinda like the brightness of it though. I've never owned a surf green guitar or bass. I'm pretty stoked. Kinda also considering a white pearl pearl pickguard. Might get one and try them both on and see which I like best.

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    You really can’t go wrong with that combo! It’ll look great when it’s done.

dbrian66 and five teles like this.
  7. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Well,. I got the shellac sanded back and a coulel coats of primer and the grain is still crazy open in some spots. Looks like I will have to sand 8t back again and go bite the bullet and drop $16 on a can of sanding sealer. Might as well do it right! I was really hoping to get some color on this today but that doesn't look like it's gonna happen now. Stay tuned...

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Question for those in the know... Who has used this stuff before?
    20190428_170739.jpg

Do I need to take the primer back to bare wood first or can I sand it mostly back and apply this?

dbrian66 and Robb like this.
  9. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I have used the sealer on an unfinished body i think you can use it on your body as is. Its just going to fill any open pores in the wood. Cool project.

dbrian66 and Bassman96 like this.
  10. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Well I decided to go with the mantra of "Do it right. Do it once" on this thing today so I spent the better part of this evening sanding the body down to bare wood for the first time since I crudely tried to finish it 15 years ago. I also remembered once it was bare that I went with the swamp ash body not the alder one. That explains the very open grain in the wood. That should make for a pretty resonant bass once it's all said and done.

I had enough daylight left to get one coat of sealer on it (the 12' shop lights in my barn are all shot so it's a cave at night till I can get a 30' ladder to swap them out).

20190428_195746.jpg 20190428_195804.jpg

Tomorrow I will do a knock down sand with 220 and apply a second coat, sand and a third then sand again and that should take care of the issue and have it ready for finish finally. Stay tuned!

dbrian66, Robb, Big tuna and 4 others like this.
  11. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    https://www.rockler.com/aqua-coat-c...4YgRHOwqGaHdW5YQuTFnfh77Ix_QDKscaAsmeEALw_wcB
    I like this stuff (Aqua Coat, if I screw up my link) for grain filling. I’ve not had good luck with other fillers. And sanding sealer is barely “thicker” than paint-you’ll need 27 coats of that to fill Ash grain... but you’re supposed to sanding-seal the wood first, anyway.
    The grain on that body is really nice! Are you doing an opaque finish, or letting the grain show through the color like “Mary Kaye” white? (Either way will be cool)

12. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Thanks for the link! I am going to give this stuff a few coats first and see how it goes since I just dropped $16 on the can lol. If it still isn't sealing I'll order up some of that stuff.

dbrian66 and daan like this.
  13. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    The grain on this body is fantastic! Your new-old project is going to be a killer bass and you are going to get a super nice finish the way you're going after it! One of the things I've done on ash bodies before spraying was to use a paste wood filler - I basically put in just enough to fill the grain, scrape off the excess and let it cure before taking the surface down with to level with dry 220 grit. After that, sanding sealer. Once I was happy I shot three color coats until I got the tone I wanted, leveled it with wet 400 and finished up with very thin clear coats (9!) wet sanded with 800 between coats until I got the depth I wanted. Final finish sanding with wet 1500, then wet 2000 and final rub out with 3M rubbing compound. On some areas some of the grain was still a little open .... sometimes perfection is the devil and I just didn't want to push it any further. Here's a pic with an ash body surface prepped and sprayed as described. I want to see how your Old Jazz comes out and I am looking forward to it!

Attached Files:

dbrian66, Big tuna, daan and 2 others like this.
  14. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Looks like a great project.

I've used the same paint with absolutely dismal results. I hope it turns out better for you. From all accounts I seem to be the exception.

15. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Thanks! I had thought about trying a wood filler scrub (for lack of a better description) first. I may still do that between this coat and the following ones and see if it helps. I'm shooting for a solid color coat so I need an absolutely smooth base to work with before going forward.

dbrian66 and wonkenstein like this.
  16. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    What was your issue with the paint? I have used this kind on multiple projects from guitars to effect pedal enclosures with no issue. Well except that the paint does not play nice with the Rust-Oleum clear of the same type or laquer. That means this will have to get a poly clear unfortunately.

dbrian66 likes this.
  17. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Complete crinkling and lifting. I had a whole thread about it. 2 cans of the same paint for a Mini Strat wasted and still need to start over.

dbrian66 likes this.
  18. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    dbrian66 likes this.
  19. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    With this stuff it is VERY important to read the directions and note the recoat windows. If it says recoat in 30 mins that means you must recoat in 30 mins or wait 24hours or more to recoat. Sanding back the top cured layer then spraying again can also cause some peeling since the new wet solvents can penatrate the older paint causing it to lift. I usually spray in the tango form over about a weeks time. 3 lights coats 30 mins apart (set a timer!) The first day then let it sit overnight. Lightly sand back with an ultra fine 3m scubby sponge just to knock down any dustyness to the paint (you don't want to break that top layer) .Then do 3 slightly wetter coats. Wait repeat till I have the color I want. The color coat shouldn't be any thicker than is required to achieve the desired color. The shine and gloss will be achieved with the clear coat which will be a thicker layer than the color. Wait a week or more depending on how thick your color coat is (find a spot under the pickguard and see if your thumbnail will make a dent. If it does wait longer the paint isn't cured yet. Then start your clear coat doing it the same as the color. Spraying can't be rushed. Plan on it taking a month or two before you will be able to call it done and handle the guitar again. Till then it will be hanging in my closet lol.

dbrian66 and Big tuna like this.
  20. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/rustoleum-painter’s-touch-2x-garbage.149431/page-3

dbrian66 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice