New NC4 Guitar Day

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by JBrooks, Oct 8, 2019.

1. JBrooks

JBrooks Squier-Meister

Jun 18, 2019
    Chicago
    I was wasting time on GC web site late last week and saw this for sale in a store IA. I knew it was desirable because of the head stock logo but there were no pics on the serial number. I have been researching the NC, YN VN Squiers for some time. I called on Thursday and as he read me the serial number I knew I had to pull the trigger. Its color and maple neck screamed "Blackie" to me. It also has a 12" radius neck that something I have been after. Whenever I play an SG a music store it really feels good. I just can't swing the price
    It arrived Friday afternoon.
    I haven't had a chance to play it much but I did take a few pics. Here ya go!

I do have a question regarding the frets. (Pictures 4 & 5) On the treble side the frets look flat (or filed down?) down to me. Most if not all of the frets look that way. Is that normal? I figure if its is really an issue I can always return it.

Attached Files:

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    That needs a fret level and crown - the previous player did a lot of bending of notes and wore them flat.....

3. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    NC4? Are you sure it's not a VN4?

NC's did not come in maple necks and were not made in Korea.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks Squier-Meister

Jun 18, 2019
    Chicago
  5. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    The neck plate definitely says Made in China, like a normal NC4 neckplate. With the MIK designation on the headstock, I have to assume it’s a partscaster, or just the wrong neck plate.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks Squier-Meister

Jun 18, 2019
    Chicago
    Ugh. Not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Sorry, others saw it first but they're right. NC's did not come in maple fretboard, only rosewood. YN & VN's do come in maple. VN is the Korea build with YN being the sister build to NC's.

Now people rave and rave about Korean necks. So you might want to play it. Make sure the neck fits snug, as most other necks will not fit an NC or YN bodies. You might love the neck and consider someone did you a favor. That is your judgement. It must be a partscaster though.

dbrian66, Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  8. JBrooks

JBrooks Squier-Meister

Jun 18, 2019
    Chicago
    I am fairly certain it’s not a plywood body. I pulled the back cover and it looks like real wood. So I probably have a NC4 body and a YN or VN neck...

Due to the fret wear I may bring it back to GC and see what they say.

dbrian66, Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  9. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I'd return it and get me a nurdin ;)

dbrian66, Viking and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. JBrooks

JBrooks Squier-Meister

Jun 18, 2019
    Chicago
    Yeah I’m gonna head over tonight and see about returning it. Live and learn. The frets are the deal breaker... I would love to try my hand at trying to fix them but I’m just not at that point.

So disappointed.

dbrian66, Viking and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I know things like this are very disappointing & discouraging. Forst off another will be along at GC. There are several at SGW right now. In one of the more recent threads about NC's, I lay out just about every 'tell' or marker to spot an NC online.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 6:11 AM
    dbrian66 likes this.
  13. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I keep forgetting to say, Chinese of this era or any time up until very modern, have no cosmetic skunk stripe. If it has a skunk stripe it is either Korean or Indonesian, at least the neck. Another way to tell real fast is with a full size NC or YN body, it is in excess of 1 inch below the neck of body at the neck joint. If it appears 1 inch or shallower, it is a thinner body.

73530053115052ld.JPG

I don't have a thin body picture.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 6:24 AM
    Rat cam 68, Eddie and dbrian66 like this.
  14. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Eddie likes this.
  15. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Black label MIK. Squier's attempt at lowering manufacturing costs to the point where it almost put them out of bidness.

squierbilly likes this.
  16. JBrooks

JBrooks Squier-Meister

Jun 18, 2019
    Chicago
    So I took it back to my local GC last night and got a full refund including shipping. They didn't give me a hard time after I explained that this is essentially a parts caster with worn out frets.
    Live and learn
    Thanks for all the help.

17. JBrooks

JBrooks Squier-Meister

Jun 18, 2019
    Chicago
    Final post in this thread from me.....
    So I was on GC site once again looking at used guitars and they relisted the guitar! Same price I paid for it..... I just looked for it again and I think they resold it...
    Hopefully no one here bought it.

squierbilly likes this.
  18. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Hopefully they took it down because it wasn't as advertised. Hopefully, they did the right thing.

drewcp likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice