New mixer day

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by brians, Sep 2, 2019.

1. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Anyone using one of these or similar, just started and I'm super impressed, have a lot to learn but after two days with it, it's amazing[​IMG]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

strat_strummer likes this.
  2. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Nice! I used to use a behringer eurodesk back in the day, but their newer gear seems really good!
    What are you using it for?

brians likes this.
  3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
    Sweet, I have a tough time finding all three knobs on my Strats..

brians likes this.
  4. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Primarily to mix backing tracks, my own, or downloads, drum loops ,my guitar another guitar and a vocalist, and it has great channel effects. Very new with this but spent two days on it and it's shaping up so far, have a LOT to learn.Haven't done any recording with it yet but that's next up hopefully soon and I'm hoping the USB feature will ease that pain.

It's also great to practice with as the onboard effects are great and I don't have to use reverb and delay pedals. The line out from the Vox amp works great.

gearobsessed likes this.
  5. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Yes I agree, it's a terrifying sight at first, but the guy at the store spent two hours with me and made it pretty simple from an entry level usage, it's definitely got stuff I will probably never use but it's there ( I believe )
    I would probably never have bought this model, but it was a store demo unit, perfect but no box but had all docs and it was about $100 off the New model price, so it's definitely overkill, but the price was good enough motivation

strat_strummer likes this.
  6. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Very nice!!

I have a Harbinger 12 channel. Man... modern technology makes it so easy.

brians likes this.
  7. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Today I tried recording via USB to the laptop what a easy process and sound quality is excellent. I'm using Audacity as the DAW and it really worked out great. It's probably not the best edit program but it's simple and I need simple right now. The mixer really makes recording easier, so learnt a huge amount in a few days. Nearly ready to call the team in for a recording jam but have one issue to solve, and that is the mikes are quite noisy, hiss wise. They are good quality Shure mikes and work great with our PA, not sure what is causing this so will have to solve this , but so far it's working out.

gearobsessed and so1om like this.
  8. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    May be obvious, but have you tried turning the gain down and turning the volume fader up? Try plugging headphones in and hitting "solo" and one channel with the mic plugged in and see if it still does it. This bypasses the master bus so you will know if the problem is with the channel or if it's in the overall settings i.e effects and master volume etc

brians likes this.
  9. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Yes I've messed with the gain which didn't really help, it does quieten it down but I'm thinking it's electronic interference from another device. I've checked with headphones as well , going to have to eliminate all the stuff plugged in to the same circuit and see if something else is causing this. I've had similar with amps before which turned out to be an electric blanket lol , but never with a Mike. so I will unplug all 30 or so devices and try track where this is coming from. My first guess is that it's one of the power supplies.

Man this can generate a lot of cables and equipment very quickly, so maybe I rushed something , will check it out Tom hopefully find the problem. But, yes I still need to learn plenty about this mixer.

Thanks

so1om and gearobsessed like this.
  10. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    If you have an old isolating transformer, try plugging it in to that.
    Make sure phantom power (48v) is off if you're using dynamic Shure mics.

so1om and brians like this.
  11. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Ah ha, think you have something here, never new about that, I presumed phantom power must be on ,

gearobsessed likes this.
  12. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Might not fix it, but phantom power is only for condenser microphones and active Di's

13. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    As I've just learnt on Google , thanks, maybe it's a ,really easy solution. Will let you know tomorrow , thanks again

gearobsessed likes this.
  14. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

If these are balanced, XLR connections, the dynamic mic should "ignore" the phantom power.

so1om likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice