New Member Intro from Hawaii

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lanaka, Feb 20, 2020.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, it IS true that the Affinities are a bit thinner than "standard"... The main reason that makes a difference is because if you use a "full size" or "Made In Mexico" bridge, it'll stick out the back of the guitar a bit, not allowing you to use your tremelo cover... That and Affinities are just a lil narrower at the nut... But either way, the Affinities, or even some "nicer" models are floating around everywhere right now... I wouldn't sweat it... You hang around here long enough and you'll aquire a few, lol...

Lanaka likes this.
  2. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier Talker

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Thanks, will do. Altho "acquire a FEW" might be an understatement, considering my past history, LOL!

Currently researching the possible candidate models to keep eye out for. Man, Squier sure had lots of different models out, with little specs info. Might have to first compile a master list of all models, then eliminate the non-US/Mex spec compatible ones. First, I'll check the rest of this site, maybe someone already has done this and posted the results. No sense reinventing wheel if already done!

SquierTap likes this.
  3. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier Talker

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Well, on further research on Mojotone's website, it looks like the JCM800 physical specs may be different from the Super Lead 100 the rosewood head box was originally built around. Also, the JCM800 Head Kit is rated 50W RMS whilst the Mojotone Super Lead/Bass Head Kit is 100W. Upon reviewing the demo vids for both, it sounds like they are the same to me (altho dunno whether that may be a result of YouTube's infamous compression squashing any subtle differences out).

I might just go ahead and get the Super 100* Kit and build it as a Lead version, altho since it comes with both Lead and Bass bits, might wanna see if it's possible to modify it to have BOTH, perhaps switchable via a toggle. I've sent them an enquiry email asking that.

*Super 100 is not their official name for their kit, typed that as I was too lazy to type the full nane out on my cell (Super Lead/Bass Head 100). However, methink I'll actually try see how Super 100 sounds in Hawaiian!

Well, closest I could come up for Super Lead 100 is Haneri Alakaʻi Nui, but reverse translation means "Hundred Great Leaders." Not quite kosher.

Hmm may just use Kepoʻohanerinuiloa, "ke poʻo haneri nui loa," which is the closest I can come up for Super 100 Head. It actually means "the largest hundred head." Lol, close enough!

-Lan

SquierTap likes this.
  4. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I absolutely admire your "get up and go", hoss... But don't kill yourself, lol... Don't know if you know about this yet or not, but there IS a Squier "wiki", and I believe it'll have most, if not all, the info you need... Here it is;
    https://squierwiki.com/HomePage

But just so ya know, from what I've gathered in the few years I've been here, the Affinities are a bit thinner, with a lil bit smaller nut... Just a couple mms... And one more important thing that I've learned is that when you're talkin bridges, "Vintage Style" and "Vintage Size" are 2 DIFFERENT things, lol... I've got a bridge that I bought STILL just sittin in my parts drawer because I ordered a "vintage sized" instead of "vintage style"... The string spacing and where it screws into the body is completely different... Just a heads up... Happy collecting!

Lanaka likes this.
  5. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Great idea to build an amp that'll switch between "Lead" and "Bass" modes and specs... That'd be a real "Twin"... If you DO happen to pull it off, my vote for a name would be "The Gemini"...

6. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier Talker

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Thanks for reminding me about that website, I've completely forgotten about them! Now bookmarked right next to this website under "Squiers."

Thanks, still learning about them Squiers, so that warning about the bridge is appreciated. DEFINITELY don't wanna waste time & $ on things I cannot use immediately. (I eventually WILL find an use for a wrong part, usually on a fixer upper where parts correctness is not a factor.

I've talked to my fave amp tech and he said it should not be a problem for him doing the dual mode thingy. If I do go that route I was planning on a similar name as "The Gemini."

To be honest, I WAS thinking more along the lines of Jekyll and Hyde thinking, LOL. This will effectively have 2 VERY different heads on one chassis, but for very different purposes. Problem is getting the concept across in Hawaiian WITHOUT requiring a mile long translation.

The Gemini would be an excellent English nickname! In Hawaiian the name would be Kepoʻomāhoe, The Twin Head.

Thanks for the suggestion!

-Lan[/QUOTE]

7. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice