New Jagmaster & Mods

Discussion in 'Squier Duo-Sonic & Jagmaster' started by Lost In Autumn, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Lost In Autumn

Lost In Autumn New Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Philadelphia
    I recently picked up an '01 Silver Sparkle Jazzmaster. As much as I love offsets, this initially left me unimpressed... Personally, I feel that humbuckers on Fender guitars in general and offsets in particular, are an abomination as well as the strat-style vibrato, that left me deeply conflicted. However, I loved the paint and the body shape, making the $150 that I paid for it, worthwhile, if only to tinker. But those pickups... they had to go, so I ordered a set of Bootstrap Skookum humbucker-sized P90's and put them in. They've made an incredible difference in tone, they're brighter than most p90's, yet retain the characteristic warmth that makes them so great. I'd place the tone somewhere between a jazzmaster and a Jaguar, without the sometimes dull timbre that Jazzmasters impart, nor the often shrill brittle sound from Jags. The rest of the guitar needs work, the neck could stand to be shimmed and it will need new tuners, a pickguard and an improved vibrato for starters, but I think it's a keeper!

IMG_3039.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
    Beautiful guitar and welcome in..

3. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    The two-point tremolo with the block saddles is a keeper in my book. It can be set up to float ala the Jag and JM, yet lacks all the finicky parts of them. Add a solid steel block to it and you're done! ;):cool:

Lost In Autumn and drewcp like this.
  4. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    Looks pretty good! I've been thinking of those specific HB sized P90's for a red sparkle bullet tele I bought earlier this year. Are they near a P90 sound?

Lost In Autumn likes this.
  5. Lost In Autumn

Lost In Autumn New Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Philadelphia
    I kinda want to swap it for a 6 point vibrato... I find it too sensitive and dive-bomb-ish for my taste. I much prefer the feel of the jag/jm and bigsby vibratos, to be honest.

they're very much a p-90 sound, but perhaps a little brighter than, say, Gibson soap bars; they're close to Lindy Fralin p90's in tone.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B3Se-WZHHc6/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice