New here with some questions.

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by ljparlan, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Bailey1214

Bailey1214 Squier-Meister

Jan 24, 2017
    Quezon City
    There are cleaning products specifically for guitar bodies and rosewood fret boards, not lemon oil. If you are talking about the gold hardware on your Gibson, that is a bit more tricky as it looks to have sentimental and monetary value. Most of the household cleaning supplies that I know of might remove the surface of the hardware if they are deeply tarnished. Unless the hardware is corroding, I'd just leave it as is.

2. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-Meister

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    No No ... lemon oil the fretboard.

Photobucket images don't show anymore. All we see is this.

bwe.jpg
    You know you can upload your images right here, with the UPLOAD A FILE button, just by the REPLY button.

Shine likes this.
  3. Shine

Shine Squier Talker

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    I think you can just drag and drop the picture file, no?

4. ljparlan

ljparlan Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2017
    Texas
    The pictures I take with my new phone are to big ( data size). It won't let me upload. I'll try to dig my old s3 phone out and take pictures. never had a forum fight me on pictures so much.

5. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    If you get into the camera settings, you can reduce the size of the picture that the phone takes. That is most any picture phone. At worst Google how to reduce the size on your particular phone.

6. ljparlan

ljparlan Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2017
    Texas
    i cropped the picture down so it would be less memory. gibson cropped.jpg neck cropped.jpg squier cropped cover off..jpg

squierbilly likes this.
  7. ljparlan

ljparlan Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2017
    Texas
    Still wanting to know if there are any specific brands of cleaner/ maintainer specifically for guitar body. Also the best place to order them. I jumped through hoops to get these pictures. Let me know if you need any of specific angles. Those are just what i had in my phone....

8. ljparlan

ljparlan Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2017
    Texas
    the corrosion on the bridge appears to be coming from the strings. Weird. Must be some kind of diffusion to cause ionization since the strings are only corroding above the bridge. ill try and get a close up of it later. it is buried under everything else we have had to move around. Ill get a better picture up soon so i might get better advise.

9. ljparlan

ljparlan Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2017
    Texas
    This is my fathers first guitar. Is it worth putting a bridge and a pickup on? It has a weird plug. I was told they dont sell that type of plug anymore. 20171111_164806.jpg 20171111_164815.jpg 20171111_164806.jpg 20171111_164815.jpg 20171111_164837.jpg 20171111_164806.jpg 20171111_164815.jpg 20171111_164837.jpg

squierbilly likes this.
  10. ljparlan

ljparlan Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2017
    Texas
    He said its most likely late 50's

11. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Beautiful Monterey! I'd keep it as original as possible. As far as the plug, that's experienced, good luthier territory, beyond my knowledge

For cleaning the strings, there are about as many suggestions as there are brands of cleaners out there. I'm old school, a clean dry cloth and if oils are a real problem, a cloth dampened with 90% rubbing alcohol, but that's just me.

On bodies, a very mild soap and water, lightly, not soaking. There are numerous guitar polishes and waxes on the market. I've always used quality car wax lightly, works fine at a fraction of the cost of 'guitar' polishes and waxes.

Linseed oil on the fretboard, it cleans gunk off, moisturizes and leaves a light finish when buffed. It was recommended to me with my first Ovation and I've seen no evidence since to change it, going on 40+ years.

Of course that is just me, every poster has probably a different answer.

rorygman and ljparlan like this.
  12. seua

seua Squier-Nut

Mar 23, 2014
    France
    better to leave photobucket alone, and use another one free ;)

ljparlan likes this.
  13. Shine

Shine Squier Talker

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    I agree with most of this. Regarding the Monterey, how is the overall condition? The reason I ask is that I encountered a beautiful blond one but it needed a neck reset, which was not cost effective.

As for cleaning, I first vacuum and/or use canned air to remove the dust.

The mild soap and water for the body is the way to go, and it's way cheaper than guitar polish. You may/may not use the auto polish (I haven't tried it yet, but might now). I know it works well on chrome that has been cleaned of rust.

I clean finger boards with Murphy's Oil Soap, and then oil.

Overall the key is to be gentle and non-invasive, especially on those cool oldies. Good luck!

jefffam likes this.
  14. ljparlan

ljparlan Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2017
    Texas
    thanks. The original monterey neck is missing. Its fairly dinged up. Im not sure its worth trying to keep all original. I thought of maybe putting some newer pickups in it. It might have to be cut for that.

15. ljparlan

ljparlan Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2017
    Texas
    as far as my squier... are double humbucker squieres rare? I have only seen one other one.

16. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Yea a double fat squier standard would be hard to find,, but easy to make.. I think they are all routed the same so someone could make his own..
    Looks like the nut on your squier is installed backwards.. Hope that wasn't your luthier that did that,, "time to find a new tech".. :D
    You have some real classics there,, congrats to you and your father.. Be careful what you use on them,, (no silicones).. Don't know where I heard that but it might be good advise?.. Good luck..

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 4:53 AM
    ljparlan likes this.
  17. ljparlan

ljparlan Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks all for your help. I'll keep them all well taken care of.

18. ljparlan

ljparlan Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2017
    Texas
    Put the Wilkinson pickups in and wired it for coil split. Slight hum when split... shielded it but it's there just the same. It's not noticeable when playing clean. It sounds better... all I have to do is practice enough to take advantage of it.