New Fender Player's series (replacement for Standard series)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by DougMen, Jun 14, 2018.

1. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The new Player series are already available in Europe, and over on TDPRI there's a post with a link to the Polish Fender website which lists them all. There are a bunch of Strats (SSS, HS, and HSH), a couple Teles (SS and HH), a Jag with SH, a Jazzmaster with two HBs, and the SC pickups are all Alnico 5s instead of the ceramics on the Standards, 22 fret necks, and two point bridges on the Strats, in a bunch of boring colors.

Matt Shevell likes this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Apparently Fender USA got PO'd at Fender Poland for posting the new models for us to see before the official announcement at Summer NAMM and made them take it down, 'cause on Fender Poland's website the Player series is gone and the Standard series is back. Stupid move on their part, as it was generating interest that they should have been happy about.

willhowl, Matt Shevell and Acidhouse like this.
  3. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    Here's the jaguar:

https://imgur.com/gallery/C4nsB0Z

I'm in no way a jaguar purist, but i wish they would have at least put the "normal" switching on it, but with a gibson-style 3 way switch instead of a tele switch and the normal rythm switches

Acidhouse likes this.
  4. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Meister

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    I dig that Jag

I might even turn hipster and get one

(No offense meant to any hipsters here)

RoyalWe, jjudas and willhowl like this.
  5. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    Is it just me, or does it seem like Fender actually CREATES confusion w/ the way they name things?

Modern Player Series/Classic Player Series/Player Series? :confused:

squierbilly, willhowl and TheKurdtz like this.
  6. archetype

archetype Squier-Meister

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    They've got a long way to go to beat Gibson on confusing model names. Those Gibidiots reuse traditional names on guitars that are very unlike the traditional models.

But Fender... yeah, they do it.

7. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I am not entirely sure it was an "accident". I always laugh at those Apple and Samsung "leaks". They do that strictly to generate interest and hype. When working at Knowles, there were extremely strict rules when working with those 2 and other customers where you'd be fired immediately for such things. At Weber Grill, they would occasionally let a photo or two leak out of a new model, people would think "oh someone added that thermometer" or whatever it was. Then by reading the forums and seeing what the response was, they'd know if they had a winner or loser. It's a great way to get a LOT of marketing data for free, other than paying your employee to watch the forums.

Remember in early 2012 when "LOOK AT THESE SQUIER JAGUARS, MUSTANGS, AND JAZZMASTERS" and then suddenly they were GONE from the Fender website. It morphed into a 150+ page thread at the offset guitar forum.

Someone found a cached screen shot of the Fender page from when it was still up. I took note of the white Jaguar model, called Guitar Center and they said "Huh. We don't have that in our system, but Fender accepted it. Your guitar is on its way." I had mine by July 13, 2012 while everyone else waited until they were actually showing up in the fall.

As for naming conventions, they have to call it something. By these days, they are all really family trees. Foxes, wolves, dogs, all canines but all have different characteristics.

Is that what happened here? Who knows.

Pat V. and willhowl like this.
  8. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I'm digging that jag...

SoundDesign likes this.
  9. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I was at GC a couple days ago and had a chance to play a Player Series Strat. The neck was really nice and comfortable. Seemed much flatter than other MIM necks I have played, would of felt better with rolled edges, it was a maple neck and board. Sounded great. Saw the Jag, I prefer the traditional setup though.

DougMen and Pat V. like this.
  10. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    According to Fender specs on this model, the only difference is 22 frets instead of 21. It's still a 9.5" radius and medium jumbo frets. And Mexican models have never had rolled edges. Only American models have that, AFAIK.

11. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Right, 9.5 radius and I have a MIM Tele RW and a AO Jag, both 9.5 but the Player series felt flatter, just a difference in neck profile. Anyway, felt good!

DougMen likes this.
  12. Totally Squiered

Totally Squiered Squier-Nut

Nov 21, 2012
    Berlin
    It would appear that the Player series is already up and available to buy on the 'go to' website for online guitar purchases here in Germany:

https://www.thomann.de/de/fender_player_series_strat_hss_mn_bcr.htm

I have to say, I rather like the look of the cream HSS strat with Alnico II humbucker and V single coils....

'Sofort lieferbar' means Available for immediate delivery.

[edit: oh, I see this is an olde thread and NAMM has already happened!!! D'oh! Nevertheless, a nice looking line of guitars. Like the surf green too...]

13. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I really like what I'm seeing with these Player Strats! I've owned a Standard since it was new in 2008 and the only mods for me where a set of Benson pups and a cap change to .033. That's just my preferences, guitar was beautiful right out of the box (with a setup)! The player series seems to have addressed most of the changes that puts the Mex product that much closer to the USA Strats!

14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    DSCN0689.JPG DSCN0696.JPG DSCN0692.JPG I just got the Player Series Strat in Sonic Red (which is actually identical to Fiesta Red) and without going into my usual two paragraph platitudes, let me just say that this guitar is the best playing, best sounding Strat I've ever played or owned, at any price. Even better than my Am Pro, CP 60s, Deluxe Roadhouse, or CV 60 s models. Perfect sound and feel.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Viking, surfrodguitar and Loin Lover like this.