New Demo.. Asking for opinions again.

Discussion in 'MyMusic Place' started by fadetoz, Feb 11, 2019.

1. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Just finished this demo. Singing is a new thing for me so it's really hard to do and put it out there for people to hear. I used a Telecaster for the rhythm track and my Robert Cray for the lead/solo. The bass is a short scale bass with a VST amp sim. I recorded it direct. The drums were programmed with ezdrummer 2.

2. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Keep headed in this direction.

fadetoz likes this.
  3. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Are you using a pop screen? I hear plosives. You may need to position the mic so that it doesn’t get picked up or back up off the mic a bit.

Good thing about music, when it hits you ya feel no pain.

fadetoz likes this.
  4. surfrodguitar

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Cool guitar work! Nice subtle wah soloing.

fadetoz likes this.
  5. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I'm looking into a vocal mic. I currently only have a SM57 clone and a cheap proline mic

6. surfrodguitar

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    You need a large diaphragm condenser and a pop screen. I have a shure 7mb I think, it’s the mic you see broadcast people use, rock guys use it. It’s like $300. Basically one guitar. [​IMG]Otherwise your gonna drive yourself crazy hearing your voice thru a sm57 clone. Your going to wrestle with eq. It has a mid range bump which I think works for some voices live. TP used a 57 live on his vocals early in his career.

Pat V. and fadetoz like this.
  7. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    What would you recommend for a vocal mic? A condencer mic and a pop filter from what you said. I use a sm57 clone for guitar made by Pyle. Do you know if there is a Pyle clone that would fit the bill or another cheaper priced mic?
    I was considering a sm58 clone they make with a pop filter. But anything to give me an edge would be great.

8. surfrodguitar

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Check out Samson but you should get a large diaphragm condenser. 57/58 are small diaphragm. And you need a separate pop screen not the screen inside the mic, won’t cut it.

9. surfrodguitar

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Google like best studio vocal mic for under $100, than $200. Theres options for sure.

10. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Without trying to offend ya fade, I'm thinking it's a work in progress that could be improved/worked on in almost every aspect. Equipment, vocals, sound etc. I do want to give ya a compliment on that great solo with the wah! It just sounds better than everything else on the recording! I love the Robert Cray Strat and always wanted one but it's a hard tail and that always kept me away! Oh well. Oh and everything you've done on this project is way far ahead of what I could do for sure! Keep at it your definitely a guy with talent and potential imho! Good luck.

11. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    I like it. It reminds me of the Doors...Jim Morrison. Nice job.

fadetoz likes this.
  12. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Get a proper SM58 instead of a clone if you want a new vox mic but I see no reason. You clearly have what you need gear wise to record already. Keep working on your songwriting and arranging skills, your mic technique, finding the pocket, and keeping a steady groove. Learning to make good recordings is no different than learning an instrument; you have to hunker down with the basic gear you already have.

The biggest improvement you can make to your recordings right now don’t require you to get any new gear; gear isn’t going to make enough difference right now to be worth it. Don’t get bogged down by thinking a new this or that will be a panacea. Try writing and recording a song every two weeks; keep them simple so you can focus on structure and arrangement. That’s how you’ll improve your recordings.

All of this is of course IMO.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    fadetoz and surfrodguitar like this.
  13. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I don't expect any mic to make me sound better at all. I just hate the idea of getting a good recording just to find it would have been better with a half decent mic and a pop filter.
    Already working on another tune. I recorded a quick video before I forgot the idea the other day.

14. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    i liked it over all , very catchy hook, Liked the busy bass and rhythm guitar, Very Nice wah....Once your confident on your singing...(let it out !!!) programming wise and song structure was great. i thought is was a nice tune !
    I disagree, I use the M7 from my Presonus https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/P...MI5uy2qcjF4AIV5R6tBh1_jwJmEAQYAiABEgIXu_D_BwE
    I have a real sm57 too but don't use it.... (hint)
    This guy gives out great advice too...

fadetoz likes this.
  15. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Not sure that came out exactly how I meant it. Yes it would be a better quality recording. I just meant I don't expect a mic to magically make me sound like a better singer.
    Presonus seems to make some good hardware. I've been using presonus interface for years now.

Dave M likes this.
  16. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I have no critique but I like it :cool: Nice job.

BlueSquirrel, fadetoz and Dave M like this.
  17. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

A cheap mic, SM57 knock-off, I used when learning how to record and write in the mid 80s. Original MT tapes are long gone so these excerpts are from multi-generational cassette dubs. I didn't really understand mixing or mastering yet and it shows but I was more than happy with the vocals at the time. I was learning...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvD_dc4akn3ggQE_kOBDNhqRIj5i

It's been so beat to heck that I doubt it still works now. My only mic for about 6 years; it served me well though.

IMGP1371.JPG

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    fadetoz likes this.
  18. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Nice song! Can't believe you do everything yourself! I'm in awe!

fadetoz likes this.
  19. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Awesome.. That's awesome you kept those recordings. I have some from tape i captured into mp3 but it doesn't sound near as good as that. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks BlueSquirrel

optofonik likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice