New build thread

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by squierTony, Feb 26, 2018.

1. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Well i got the body just a little bit ago and its got some killer looking grain going on. Had to trim just a hair on the bridge pickup cavity for it to line up. 20180313_121545.jpg I started shielding the cavities. 20180313_124524.jpg

fadetoz, ElRey67 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Really nice back on this one. 15209696176518381289.jpg

3. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Check out this beautiful cross grain. 20180313_152104.jpg

4. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
  5. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Yeah, it's going to be a nice guitar. The body really is gorgeous as it sits. And if you haven't used one of the Wilkinson 3 saddle Tele bridges before, you're really going to like it once you have it set up. They intonate quite well and you still get that traditional Tele kind of punch and sustain. Go boy!

ElRey67 likes this.
  6. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    So - is it nice and spanky or what?

7. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Got a really good Tele spank to it. It sounds just like a Tele should sound to me.

wonkenstein, fadetoz and ElRey67 like this.
  8. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Tony,
    Bravo on a successful build. That Tele looks very unique to me. I’ve not seen many with a nice descreet flame top.
    This one checks all the boxes (even tho I’ve been on record as not being a fan of white pickguards, this one works with that color body).
    Well done.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  9. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Thanks.
    I was going to not put one on it but I started looking at some online and I liked the way they looked. I would have to have done some cleanup on the neck pickup cavity if I left the pickguard off. I think it turned out pretty nice myself.

wonkenstein likes this.
  10. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Wow that’s “purdy”!!! Great job there!

squierTony likes this.
  11. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Fantastic looking guitar, ST!

squierTony likes this.
  12. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Wow that looks awesome. Glad you went with that body. I'm guessing you are too :)

squierTony likes this.
  13. Good Lord Tony ... that looks incredible. Well done my man.
    Cheers, Barrie.

fadetoz and squierTony like this.
  14. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    It weighs right around 6 pounds on the bathroom scale.

wonkenstein likes this.
  15. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    There are a few things I'd like to point about this build.
    1.) It's dead quiet when plugged into the amp. No hum or noise of any kind.
    2.) I'd recommend the GFS bodies. I don't think you can find a better quality body for the price. I had to use a dremmel on the bridge cavity for it to line up with the string holes correctly. It was only off about the thickness of a credit card and that's not a big deal for me.
    3.) I did this on a tight budget. I ordered everything from Amazon except the body and that was from GFS. The neck that I'm using was on a different Tele but the grain on the headstock matches the grain on the body I'm going to leave it and put the new neck on the other body.
    I have less than $275 in this guitar (including the neck thats ordered) and let me tell you is nice, I mean it's super nice. I did a lot of going back and forth with the pickups and I'm very pleased on how they perform .
    What I've learned from this forum is that if you do your homework you can find lots of lower priced items that are high quality and this guitar has defiantly proved that.
    I'd put this guitar on any stage or studio without hesitation . I'm thinking it's going to be my #1 for a long time.
    I really enjoy putting these together and seeing the end result. I kind of look at it like a kid putting together a model car lol.
    All in all I don't think I could be happier with the outcome and will show it off proudly.

wonkenstein likes this.
  16. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Not surprising - you took all the steps to make that happen. It's a very nice looking guitar the way you have it spec'd out. Have fun breaking that one in!

squierTony likes this.
  17. nitro

nitro Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Wow Tony that turned out killer.

squierTony likes this.
  18. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Thank you.

19. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Dude, that's how you make stuff work anyway, right? I have three Mutt Casters I'm gigging with right now, all with used pickups, used tuners, bodies used needing wood repairs or new but damaged in shipping needing finish repairs. Fender parts, Squier parts from anywhere, did 'em all on a budget just like you did here.

But if you had to pay somebody else for all of the attention to detail and fitting you've done to make it just right - that's why you really have a much more expensive guitar than what you've got into it for the parts. There's no reason to go drop a ton of cash on a guitar when you can make one as nice as this!