New build thread

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by squierTony, Feb 26, 2018.

1. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Vortex - Vintage Hot Tele Pickups https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TECBMOS/?tag=squiertalk-20 I got them for 59.00 delivered from Amazon .

Kenneth Mountain and ElRey67 like this.
  2. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    Good Start, squierTony !

A+!

squierTony and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    This is the neck in using. It's got some really nice abalone fret markers and overall great neck. 20180302_170953.jpg 20180302_171004.jpg

4. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
  5. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Only temporary lol. Good eye Mr. Skeen.....

6. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I'm having an issue with my neck pickup screws. I'm mounting it directly to the body without a pickguard but my screws have the unthreaded part not allowing it to be raised up completely to the top. What should I do to resolve this? Should I just get new screws or is there a different solution? 15201407793191749770606.jpg 15201409045941354644204.jpg

7. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    to Mount a tele neck pickup to a pick guard, you want the holes threaded, but to body mount you want the screws to drop freely through the holes. If there are threads in both the bottom plate and the wood, then the pickup height off of the bottom of the route can’t change without enough pressure to strip one thread or the other, which is a bad thing. same reason you don’t want the threads to engage in the pickguard holes if using one. Open the holes in the lower pickup flat work with a drill bit, BUT BE SURE THE SCREWS DONT GO ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE BODY AND OUT THE BACK.

8. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Hey James this is what I'm wanting to do.
    cts_7.jpg

9. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Looks like you need to enlarge the screw holes in the bobbin to clear the shank of the screws you have, or get screws slightly smaller to fit the bobbin holes.

You just need springs under the ears of the pickup bobbin. You can also use a spongy foam rubber instead of springs, but I'd recommend the springs. You can get a vast assortment of them from any hardware store, you don't need to go to a guitar store. They need to be as small as possible but still fit over the threads of the screws, and stiff enough to push the pickup fully away from the body.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  10. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    You want the screws to move freely through the holes and use the tubing to adjust pickup height?

11. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    Yes, the screws should fall all the way through the holes in the pickup bobbin, and the springs, rubber tube or foam under the pickup push it up against the screw heads, that way when you turn the screws into the body clockwise they push the pickup down away from the strings, but you need to be positive that the screws are not so long that they go all the way through the body. measure the thickness of the body, then subtract the depth of the route, to find out how much wood there is under there, and make sure that with the pickup as low as it might possibly need to go, the screws won't poke through the back. I've fixed that on project guitars, and it's a major PITA.

I can tell by looking those screws are way too long. they look like jazzmaster mounting screws where the screw has to go through a big thick chunk of the pickup cover before it comes out the bottom and gets near the wood. Maybe start out with 1/2 or 5/8 inch screws, and work your way up till you get one that is just long enough to get the pickup up where you want it and still be nice and solid in the wood in the back. It's a fiddly process and that's why most tele's hang the neck pickup from the pickguard nowdays.

Kenneth Mountain and squierTony like this.
  12. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Well I got a body in the mail today but it's the wrong friggin one. TOTALLY NOT HAPPY right now. 15203679332691422250661.jpg

13. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Or should I just keep it? 1520368145954852530258.jpg 15203682607901539712460.jpg

ElRey67, radiotech and Michael7 like this.
  14. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I personally love Burst the best, but that flamey top was super too. I think it looks more "original Fender" and vintage in burst, and probably more modern and boutique in the flame top. Either way, you'll have a killer looking guitar. The brown of the burst one is a great match for that rosewood neck.
    I'll be eager to hear about fit and screw holes matching, etc. on this GFS body. They get a lot of mixed reviews, but certainly look the business.

squierTony likes this.
  15. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I'd get the other body if it were me. That burst looks really nice though.

16. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Ok so here's the deal. I took 2 days off of work to put this thing together and they're offering to send me a return shipping label and they'll ship me a new body. This blows because I've wasted 2 days of vacation for their mistake.

Kenneth Mountain and mdparent03 like this.
  17. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Im sending it back and lets just say I'm not happy with guitarfetish right now.

18. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    That blows... I'm glad your getting the other body but yeah what a waste of 2 days off. I'd be mad too.

squierTony and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  19. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Got this soldered up today. I should have the body tomorrow after an ordeal with Guitarfetish. That's a whole different thread tno.