New bridge saddles

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Dr Carrot, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Squier Talker

Oct 31, 2018
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi everyone. I'm new here. I'm also fairly new to strats (altho, since recently have 3 Strat Squires and a Tele CV). Little help please. I've got a question about filing saddles.
    I used to have the Chinese-stock-standard ones that I decided to replace with Fender-looking ones. Just got them today to find out that there's no notch on them! So, I diligently trawled the web to see what I am missing here. It seems like many strats have saddles with NO grooves/ notches. Is that right? How do you bend without having the string slide? I have a LP, with roller saddles that are too big for the strings, and they slide inside that thing like there's no tomorrow.
    Should I be filing groves in these saddles? Should I just leave them as is?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Welcome to Squier Talk ! I think over time they develop a groove - but a new set of fender bent steel saddles do not have a groove ?

Your not going to bend past a set screw ?

Dr Carrot likes this.
  3. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  4. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Moline, IL
    I agree with @fattboyzz - install them, play as your normally would, go from there.

The Schaller roller bridge is a fantastic replacement for a Les Paul that will keep strings aligned, BTW. YMMV.

[​IMG]

Dr Carrot and fattboyzz like this.
  5. archetype

archetype Squier-Meister

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    The string sees its point of contact on the saddle as a pivot point when the string vibrates or is bent. The string is under tension and stays put at that point of contact. Typically, Fender saddles are hardened and you won't wear grooves in them.

The bent steel saddles are awesome 1954 technology that still works fine.

beagle, Dr Carrot, duggerh and 2 others like this.
  6. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Squier Talker

Oct 31, 2018
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thank you all kindly for replying. You put my mind at ease. And incidentally, I've replaced the LP bridge. Next, to the saddles :) Love yer work!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Just be sure to align the strings when installing them and bringing them up to pitch, and they should stay put.

That said, I know others disagree but I despise bent-steel saddles, and I believe that block-type steel saddles are superior in every way.

8. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I believe the same thing - " block-type steel saddles are superior in every way "

Dr Carrot, Bullcat and Triple Jim like this.
  9. brians

brians Squier-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Well I agree , I find them easier on the palm

10. domdavid

domdavid Squier Talker

Aug 3, 2017
    Italy
    To me bent saddles sound more "metallic" and maybe i got a better sustain. I like it. With a tusq capo has been a real improvement for my Standard Stratocaster fmt.

Dr Carrot and Kenneth Mountain like this.