New Bodies En Route

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Wizzer, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My son did some work this week at my office and brought home some cold, hard cash. I figured he needed some "fun" money; at 14 he's getting to be a lot more social. Lots of nights out to movies and bowling with his buddies.

Lo and behold, he springs this on me today(my 45th birthday). He ordered me two bodies from Rosser Guitars; one an Epi Wilshire style in Ash with routes for mini humbuckers, and another in a Rickenbacker style, also Ash, routed for humbuckers.

We saw a used Wilshire in L.A. back in September, and he insisted he didn't like the shape. I love it. (That's one of the things I love about guitars; like ice cream, everyone likes different flavors.)

He said he almost had the Rick-style routed for Filtertrons, but "I knew you'd never drop the dough on TV Jones pickups for yourself. So with the bucker routes, you can get the Filtertrons from GFS that are bucker size."

"You build guitars for me and for other people, and you always say you're going to build one for yourself and you never do," he said. "So Rosser does a lot of the early work for you. These will be yours. I'll help."

They won't be here for 4 weeks, which is actually good. I need to pay for some dental work(LAME!) and I'm playing in a 3-day ice hockey tournament in Vegas(AWESOME!) in late February. So there won't be available funds for necks and parts until March.

It gives me time to toss around ideas for colors, which I struggle with. Hopefully the Ash will look good enough to stain, but if I need to fill and paint, that's okay too. (Even more color choices to drive me crazy. )

Here are a couple stock photos from their site of the body styles, but not in Ash.
    1515305491651.png
    1515305602609.jpg

2. davidb1986

davidb1986 Squier Talker

Jan 1, 2018
    Texas
    Congrats!!!! Please post many pics of the end result. It must be nice having one of your children that play and love guitars. My twins are 3. One of them is already wanting a guitar of her own. What do you know when I showed her different mini guitars she picked out a red squier mini strat. Made me proud!

3. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I'll definitely do threads on both.

I can't describe how great it is that he's so into it. His mom bounced right before he turned 3, so it's been just us against the world for over a decade now.

I suppose he's a Mini Me in a lot of ways, but he's so much cooler than me. LOL. He asked for a Squier Mini when he was 6, then I built him a Tele, and I never could have imagined the guitar insanity that would follow.

He got ME into it. When he started playing, I didn't even know what all the parts of a guitar were called. Literally didn't know the first thing about them. And here we are.

This forum has been a huge help, too. HUGE. Without Squier Talk and the good folks on here, I wouldn't possess half the knowledge I have. Guaranteed 99.9% Of the people posting on here can play better than I can. But I love it just as much as anyone, I think.

4. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Both of those look fantastic! The second one looks a lot like a Supro styled body.
    Congrats and Happy Birthday!

5. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    They do offer a Supro style!
    1515312140219.png

6. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2018
    KcMo
    Looks fantastic ! Great son !

Love my Rosser Telebird/Firecaster body !

theflow, chimneysweep, Wizzer and 2 others like this.
  7. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Damnit...Now I want one of them Wilshire looking ones.

8. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    The raising of our children tells. It's clear you're rising a great son and one who be a pleasure to be around his whole life.
    Congratulations to you and your son on great projects, ones to keep.

HNGBD X 2! Wonderful!

9. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    That's very cool, great projects:)

10. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    That's great. Now stuff some more cold hard cash in his wallet while he's not looking.

11. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    What a wonderful, considerate son! Congratulations and Happy Birthday.

Kenneth Mountain, theflow and Wizzer like this.
  12. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    You had the same thought I did. He just opened his first checking account, so I'm going to put some money in his account and help him offset the cost.

13. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    “Dental work-hockey tournament “ in my mind these things must be related. Great story I look forward to seeing these threads through to completion. Happy Birthday!

14. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I would think he'd want to put off the dental work until AFTER the hockey tournament. ;)

15. chimneysweep

chimneysweep Squier-holic

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    Rosser is fantastic. Got my reverse JM body & few p basses from him

16. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    You know, that's probably a really good idea.

17. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    Happy Birthday @Wizzer !I really like the "Supro" looking body !:)

Kenneth Mountain and Wizzer like this.
  18. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I can't wait to see what you do with these. If you could give us the weights of these two bodies once you have them, that would be great. I see a project on the horizon.

Kenneth Mountain, theflow and Wizzer like this.
  19. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I'll do my best, Pat. I'm moving my shop to a new location, so I should have a scale by the time they get here. Here are some pics of what I moved this past weekend. Washed-out apple juice bottles make great custom stain containers. (But safety first, hence the label. )

1515442923986.jpg 1515442930838.jpg 1515442934410.jpg

20. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The bodies have arrived from Rosser Guitars and they're beautiful. They're both ash, so they're heavy, but the quality of work on them is exceptional.

I'd recommend using him if you want to buy an already-cut body for a project. Great grain, great prices, really really nice product.

Now I have to decide on colors and this part nearly always gives me an aneurysm.

1518544023611.jpg 1518544028780.jpg 1518544031912.jpg 1518544035876.jpg 1518544039423.jpg

Pat V. and Kenneth Mountain like this.