New amp on the way - California tone research

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by jeepster61605, Aug 14, 2016.

1. jeepster61605

jeepster61605 Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2009
    Central IL
    $_1.JPG It's on its way. Decided to take a flier on an all tube combo for less than $140 delivered. Anyone have any experience?

2. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    That looks cool, where'd ya find that?

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I bought one about three weeks ago I think. I got lucky and found one local on the list.
    I am still testing it. The only definitive thing I would say so far, is that there is something different about it. I can load the pre-amp with the tube model in front of the Valve junior, but not so much with the Set 5.
    How to explain this? I can put the Mojo Diamond on the 412 cabinet, and then plug the Valve Junior in on the other output with a cabinet. They blend and compliment. Use the Set 5 for the same, the Set 5 sounds brash and stands out from the other pretty glaringly. I am going to say the voice on mine would work very well with a telecaster.
    You are going to have to learn the amp, and I am not there yet really.
    One thing. It gets pretty hot right around the switch area.
    Did you get the ten inch speaker, or the 8?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. jeepster61605

jeepster61605 Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2009
    Central IL
    I got the 8 inch. I live in a one bedroom apt, so I wanted something small.

5. jeepster61605

jeepster61605 Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2009
    Central IL
    I found it on eBay. They only had a couple of the red tolex left.

6. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Mine is black with a silver grill.
    I don't have enough time on it yet to say as far as settings.

7. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Well, it works pretty well with the knobs all at 12 o'clock. Turn the treble down lower than that and the volume gets lower and lower as you do. If you are playing a set of pickups that are bright, don't try to cut them using the tone knobs, unless you really want to cut them.

8. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Jeepster, what are your impressions so far?

9. jeepster61605

jeepster61605 Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2009
    Central IL
    I had to get an attenuator for it. My apartment has paper thin walls. If I had it to do over, ID go with the 10 inch speaker. But the amp itself sounds nice and fendery to my ears.

10. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Ahh, I live on a lot in the country, right on top of the ridge. Next house in front is about 300 yards, and is in the bottom of the valley. Behind is on the next ridge top. One side my neighbor is all but deaf, and the other side doesn't care what I do, as long as I leave him alone to do what he wants to do.
    I plug it into the 4x12 and get as loud as I want.
    I think I am going to take it into the shop and let my tech listen to it. If he thinks it will make it better, I may swap out the tubes.

Kenneth Mountain and Pat V. like this.
  11. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    May I inquire which one, and from whom you bought it?

-don

12. jeepster61605

jeepster61605 Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2009
    Central IL
    A Carl's power soak.

Kenneth Mountain and duceditor like this.
  13. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Thanks!

Apart from volume, does it have any effect on the sound?

The Carl's, price-wise, is amazing. But reviews are mixed. Your thoughts will be appreciated. :)

-don

14. jeepster61605

jeepster61605 Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2009
    Central IL
    I didn't notice a tonal change at all. Most of the negative reviews I read were guys just running these things balls out constantly. Or running 100 Watts through the thing when its rated for 50. I'd recommend it so far without much playtime on if.

Kenneth Mountain and duceditor like this.
  15. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I have it plugged in to the 412, and I am just using reverb. Sounds pretty good, and it will go pretty loud.

16. StratBro17

StratBro17 Squier Talker

Oct 29, 2017
    Puerto Rico
    Sorry to bump this old thread but I have a question. How do you describe the tone? Like which amp it’s trying to imitate? I bought one last week at Amazon for 110$. I have Strats and a Les Paul Junior P90. Any help is welcome.

17. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    The tone is a little dry, and it can be harsh. The tone controls work more like channel volumes. You put the right reverb in front of it and it sounds pretty good. It sounds a lot like a Valve Junior only the tone controls work differently. The stock speaker is going to take some breaking in. Part of what you are hearing is the small less than stellar quality speaker. Through another cab, it is a completely different beast all together.
    That is with stock tubes.
    I will dust it off tomorrow and see if I can be more specific.

18. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Okay. Today I have the TR Set5 California hooked up with a DR400 reverb pedal and a BBE Sonic Maximizer playing through the almost 8 inch speaker. It almost needs for you to put a track playing through it and leave for a day or so to get the speaker broke in.
    It is loud, and I suspect a tube change is needed if you are looking for pleasing high gain breakup. On the other hand, if you dial it back to straight up on all three knobs it sounds pretty good.
    It isn't overly noisy at the straight up setting.
    The amp plays okay with some pedals, and not with others.

My conclusion is that if you buy one, try a set of JJ's in it, and then start finding the things it does work well with. There is only so much one can expect from a single 8 inch speaker. The Traditional Pro pickups are not that good with it, but you switch to the Ibanez 73 and suddenly it sounds much better. You switch to the 1190 with the JB in the bridge, and suddenly you are in business.
    It does not like the V/Amp in front of it, but does good with the DR400, which is the same effects as in the V/Amp unit. The Sonic Maximizer works for some things, and not for others with it. The DS-60 works very well with the amp.
    Like just about any amp you will ever work with, it is going to take some time to figure out.
    Cheap pups need not apply. Go get the guitar with the industry standard recognized pups out to test this amp.
    I ended with a Lotus 1190 with a JB in the bridge, and DR400 with the DS-60, playing through the Fender 412.
    It isn't a thousand dollar amp, but if you can't make it sound decent, it isn't the amp.

19. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    To cap what I said before, it is still pluged up to the 412 with the same pedals, and I am still playing through it. I think that pretty much says it all.

20. StratBro17

StratBro17 Squier Talker

Oct 29, 2017
    Puerto Rico
    Sorry for the late reply, I tried mine with a Blues Driver and a Tube Screamer, it sounds nice boosted but kinda harsh. Will have to buy new tubes because I don’t want to depend a lot of the pedal’s distortion. Which brands are good for that high gain sound? Not metal but something that can help for Blues or Rock