New Amp Day Comin'!

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by duceditor, Mar 9, 2018.

1. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    The V22 is known for having excellent cleans and I can concur fwiw

jamndad and grizmit like this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I've got "clean" pretty well covered by "The Beast." This fella... ;)

1976FenderTwinReverb--TheBeast.jpg

Still, that Sweetwater video demonstrates some nice clear sounds coming from the little Bugera. I'll know for sure some time early next week!

That said, I mostly foresee myself using this thing for dirty rock. Moderately hard driven. Gritty but sweet.

Seeing what can come out of pedals like the Joyo "Sound" models (American, British, etc.) I think this little fellow, with its very wide-ranging control system (that US/Brit knob sounds like a great tool!) should do the job nicely. The key question to me is how much of its sound actually comes from the tubes being driven, and how much is actually synthesized with the tubes just sort'a there because people like 'em? That will affect its ability to bloom -- one of the things that has so endeared me to the Sweet Baby.

Again, time will tell! :)

-don

ADLGMT8, Treynor and ElRey67 like this.
  3. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    Plus you can always run your American Sound in front.

I'm just really a fan of 2 channel amps myself. That along with a handful of pedals, really opens up the matrix of tonal possibilities with just a few foot taps. Can make you a little crazy getting it all dialed in, but it's a fun hunt to be on.

Treynor, ElRey67 and duceditor like this.
  4. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Interesting. I've always viewed the 12BH7 as more of a preamp or phase inverter tube, like in old Hammond organs and Ampeg(ish) amps.

ElRey67 likes this.
  5. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I'm a quoter when it comes to these things. Not one who speaks from deep knowledge.

Here's from Bugera's published materials about the G5 Head...

The G5 INFINIUM features a true Class-A amp head with an ECC83 front-end and a 12BH7 power stage.​

And from TubesforAnps dot com...

12BH7/12BH7A vacuum tube is a medium mu dual triode originally designed as a driver inTV sets. 12BH7 Tube is capable of driving good amounts of current with low distortion. This makes it ideal as driver for power tubes in modern audio amplifiers​

How does that fit in with what you know? I can hardly say. But grizmit's comment "This is basically a Blackstar HT-5" is right on. The tubes and rather unusual controls match exactly, so Bugera is not the first to use the 12BH7 in this application.

I'd love to hear more and fill out my knowledge! Batter up! :)

-don

ElRey67 likes this.
  6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    In some of the Infinium reviews, buyers liked the amp, but liked it more when they changed the tubes.

ElRey67 likes this.
  7. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    That's a given! :D

Doubly funny here though because, at least according to what I read, all the currently available 12BH7s are made by Electro-Harmonix no matter the label on them. And the tubes are auto-biased and auto monitored by circuitry in the amp.

(This is said to work so well, btw, that on push/pull models you can mix and match tubes -- even different types by just plugging them in -- the amp will do the rest.)

-don

mb doug and ElRey67 like this.
  8. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Well, it's a dual triode so I'd suspect that the one 12BH7 would do both the pushing and the pulling. And come to think of it, they were pretty common in TVs. Think of it as a 12AX7 on steroids.

Interesting, Electro Harmonix didn't manufacture tubes in the past. They used to import and relabel Sovteks. It looks like they're now owned by the same company who owns Sovtek as well.

It looks like Tube Depot has some NOS US made 12BH7A tubes for 30 bucks. You might want to see if they have any RCA.

duceditor and ElRey67 like this.
  9. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Time to roll out the acronyms. HNAD. Now I have GAS! There is just so much out there for musicians now at such low prices..it is insane what you can get for the dollar these days

duceditor and ElRey67 like this.
  10. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Okay, so Amazon tells me this is shipped and due for delivery on Tuesday.

Just a few words on how I got such a good deal on this. Only $167 -- or $177 with the purchased 3 year 'accident and drop' warranty.

I bought the amp from Amazon -- but through their "Warehouse Deals" extension. This is something I have done in the past and found it offers amazing bargains with little if any downside.

"Warehouse Deals" are, I suppose, like open box specials elsewhere. They are items that have somehow gotten bumped from the sealed box category -- but often are, when you get them, basically new.

For example a few weeks ago I bought Jan a leather topped kitchen stool through the Warehouse Deals. It was one that needed to be assembled and its various parts were still in their sealed bags. The outer box had been opened, that that's all. Jan liked it so much that she asked for a 2nd -- and I had to purchase that through the regular Amazon page. The stool was identical -- except it cost twice as much.

I'm hoping that the amp is similar. It was marked as "used, as new, in original packaging." Still free "Prime" shipping. Same super Amazon support.

I did purchase the three year warranty for $10. It is the 'accident and drop' type so it covers everything but appearance items. And (this is important!) it includes free two way shipping.

That's key because original manufacturer's warranties typically do not cover shipping. (With Bugera -- and this is not unusual-- you need to pre-pay for the return shipping before they'll give you a return authorization, plus pay for shipping the item to them. Oh, and they also have the loophole of saying "you busted it. we are not responsible." Not so with Amazon's "Standard + Accidental Damage " plans. Even if you drop it down the stairs it is covered.

I've used these policies in the past. They'll even send you a shipping box if you need one at no charge. No questions. No hassles. No outlay of funds. Typically one-week turnaround. That for about $3 a year! (The price depends on the cost of the original item.)

Anyhow, I thought that info might be useful to folks unfamiliar with the Warehouse. Item in the Warehouse are found by looking at the "New and Used" link under the product description on each Amazon product page. Sometimes they're there, others not.

:)

-don

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    mb doug, Treynor, Davis Sharp and 2 others like this.
  11. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Hmmm..... We're in the midst of a roaring "nor'easter" --what non New Englanders call "a blizzard" -- but I just got a message from UPS saying that my amp is "out for delivery."

Said to be set for between 1:45 and 3:45.

Good luck with that UPS! :)

-don

squierbilly and ElRey67 like this.
  12. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Well, it's a race then. My new amp is on the FedEx truck for delivery today. No snow here. In fact, DC has gained the nickname "Snow Hole," because the last two winter storms dumped snow around, but not in, the DC Metro area.
    May the better driver win. :)

squierbilly, ElRey67, so1om and 2 others like this.
  13. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    If its our regular UPS driver -- a great guy! -- I'll be rooting for him -- but for him to take his time. We already have six inches and it is coming down hard.

The roads may get some attention, but our own "road" -- a circular drive that curves about 1/6 miles through the woods won't. (Well, not until the snow has stopped tomorrow morning.) Nor will I be able to clear the walk path that leads to the house.

It'll be interesting to see if he makes it. I do expect he'll give it a try.

Jan and I have always been impressed with him (I really should learn his name!) Diligent beyond what is required. -If a package is heavy he offers to bring it in the house for us.

A few months ago our porch light was out so when Jan heard him pulling (he always turns around and goes out the way he drives in) she walked out onto the porch with a multi-LED lantern. "Wow! Where can I get one of those?" he asked, admiring its bright white circle of light. Jan being Jan give it to him and we've seen him carrying it since.

Men like that are to be appreciated. May he be safe.

Yeah, and get the amp here!!!! :D

-don

14. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Yep, take care of the ones taking care of you......in this case, taking care of your gear!

15. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Just saw a notification that UPS has suspended pickups and deliveries in my area.

That makes sense! The snow is now about 9 or 10 inches deep and will continue falling until about 7 tonight.

Snow. Wind. Ice. Not stuff anyone should have to drive through!

Snow and Icicles.jpg

-don

16. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    A colleague in Boston just told me she shoveled one foot and is waiting for the other foot to drop before going out again. We're supposed to have a meeting on Friday. Logan should be cleared by then, right?

17. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I wonder if you have gotten the G5 yet (I write this and it's snowing like cats and dogs. I just stepped into a poodle. LOL).

I would be interested still in your assessment of how it sounds, particularly the clean tones. I have been watching Youtube videos and others where the review of its clean sounds range from "in the Fender territory" to "ho-hum."

so1om likes this.
  18. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
  19. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    EEE eee eee eee.... Wipe Out.

The Bugera G5 was delivered this afternoon. Gorgeous amp. Very heavy and solid for a 5 watt amp. But, alas, it was defective.

The issue was the overdrive channel. Quiet as could be with no instrument cable inserted, but with one plugged in it got a LOUD hum if the volume or gain was turned up even a little.

The clean channel would get the hum too, but only if it was turned up quite a bit.

I tried several cables. It definitely was the amp.

I arranged for the unit to be picked up and to get a full refund.

Kind'a too bad. But in truth it was largely a 'gee this might be nice' purchase. As I told Jan who was very disappointed for me: If I was still searching for the "it" sound and thought this would have given it to me I would have been very much disappointed. But that is not the case. The Sweet Baby set up as I have it now IS "it." This was just a fun additional possibility.

Such is life, eh? ;)

-don

grizmit, Treynor and ElRey67 like this.
  20. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    Bummer Don. Maybe another time.