New Amp Day Comin'!

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by duceditor, Mar 9, 2018.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I've really, really gotten into low-power Class A amps. Its almost funny how much of the time I find myself plugged into the little 5 watt Sweet Baby while the 85 and 100 watt monsters (A classic `70 Twin Reverb and my beloved Duoverb) sit with their lights out.

Well I just sprung for another -- this because what the amp is tempted me (along with its stellar reviews), and that I found a deal just too good to pass by. Its a Bugera G5 5W Tube Head.

All sorts of things to make it special. Mixed and very complete tone stack (with US and Brit settings). Built-in reverb. An effects loop. Built-in power attenuator (1 watt and 1/10 watt). And it even has auto-bias and Bugera's proprietary tube "Infintium tube life multiplier."

Pretty amazing.

Here's a video about it put together by the folks at Sweetwater....

Oh, that deal? How does $176 sound? Sweet, eh?
    I thought so. Just to good to let pass. :)

Should be here early next week. Review to follow.

-don

2. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
  3. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    Looks like this could be another sweet add to your collection, Don! Like you, I've really become a big fan of low watt tube amps these days. Looking forward to another well-written and always interesting review from you.

squierbilly, ElRey67 and duceditor like this.
  4. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Looking forward to the review! Congratulations.

theflow and duceditor like this.
  5. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I've never tried that head and I am wondering what those tubes sound like. I'm just familiar with the sound of EL84s and 6L6s and some of the smaller 6V6s. Again, I'm looking for cleans and the 6L6s seem the best to my ears from my few testings. I do have an older Bugera V22 with EL84s and it sounds very good clean I think ... not so much cranked, however. But I'm always looking for something even cleaner.

ElRey67 and theflow like this.
  6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Yes Sir..Looks like a winner..

Treynor, theflow and duceditor like this.
  7. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    Congrats ! I can't believe you are cheating on your sweet baby !;)

squierbilly and Treynor like this.
  8. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    In my reading the 12HB7 is a very clean power section tube. It was developed originally for use in the audio systems of TVs and such.

In truth by FAR the greater sound of a tube amp comes from its pre-amp stage. Even a 15 watt amp is way to powerful to allow its powerstage to show colorations at less than full on club levels.

Amp designers, of course, know this. And they design the entire circuit to give a certain sound. -One we have come to expect from this tube type or that.

Its not that there is no difference, its just that what difference there is in that one design element is largely overwhelmed by other part of the the sound chain.

That said, reviewers are pretty constant in their praise of the G5. ( Check out those who reviewed it on Sweetwater.)

In any case I'll share my own impressions of how the amp sound in various setting, uses and with various guitar types.

-don

ElRey67 likes this.
  9. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    One of my boys has the V22 Infinium. Very nice amp.

ElRey67, duceditor and Treynor like this.
  10. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Excellent deal. I really like the on-board attenuator.

ElRey67 likes this.
  11. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    I love the V22 and V55 but the little V5 combo, nope. Sounded like every other little box excuse for a real amp.

12. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    I tried one of those out at GC and loved it! Good luck and HNAD!

ElRey67 and duceditor like this.
  13. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    The combo, despite the similarity of its name, has totally different circuits. Different tubes even.

-don

squierbilly and ElRey67 like this.
  14. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    Congrats! Interesting choice, Don. This is basically a Blackstar HT-5 in Bugera clothing. The HT-5 has been one of my favorite amps for about 7 years now. Tough to beat for low volume Marshall/Mesa crunch. Plug it into a 4x12 in your music room and you'll want to play your Les Paul with a top hat on. ;) Get ready for some saturated tubey goodness right out of the can.

Looking forward to hearing your assessment!

squierbilly and Treynor like this.
  15. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

I agree. I don't own the V55 but I've heard a guitarist who used it in a classic country band I was very briefly in and he played it clean. But as duceditor posted, they are very different amps.

ElRey67 likes this.
  16. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yeah! Looked at the basic specs, controls, etc and they appear to be twins separated at birth.

I never paid much attention to the Blackstar lineup -- this despite hearing good things about them. So I had no idea.

Thanks for the info. It raises my hopes for this little jobbie yet higher.

I'll likely pair it, at least initially, with the closed back 12 Fender cab Jan gave me for X-mas.

Thinking of which... when I mentioned buying this to Jan a bit ago she asked me to accept it as an addition to her anniversary gift -- the Joyo California pedal due to be delivered later today. (She does that just to assuage any guilt I might feel about buying something for myself.) So sweet! :D

-don

17. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    That's awesome. You're a lucky man. And congrats on the anniversary!

Wow, between this small-but-beastly head and that California pedal... you might have to start up a metal band!
    Kidding of course, but you will certainly have some potentially wicked tools at your disposal there. Careful you don't shoot your eye out. ;)

18. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Way to go Don!! Good deal!
    I am a huge Bugera fan. To me, they are the Squier of amps. I have the V5 and V22 Infinium. The V22 is the most amazing tube amp ever in that price range. Hands down from my experience playing thru and trying out many.
    I get giddy playing thru my two Bugeras. Both (used) combined cost me less than $400. That’s insane for the quality of amp x2. I laugh out loud at home after plugging in....laugh at the nay sayers and corksniffers who bash Bugera w/o any hands on experience.

squierbilly, Treynor and duceditor like this.
  19. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Uh-oh. From those last two posts it sounds like this is more for the metal in us and not for clean freaks like me. There is still one near me for a good price I can try out anyway.

Are there any heads with 6L6s at a low price, besides the Bugera V55?

20. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    Don't let the crunch channel scare you off, I'm sure the clean channel is worth a try. Probably not on par with Fender cleans, but if anything like the Blackstar still really good. I'm intrigued to try one of these out myself!

Treynor and ElRey67 like this.