Never been much of a Fender guy. But this Tele!

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by LDS714, May 17, 2019.

1. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Never been much of a Fender guy. I have several fender basses, but usually end up gigging an old Gibson and a Harley Benton 99% of the time for the last couple of years.

I also have three Squier Strats, and while I don't hate them, they just don't seem to be as fun to play as other guitars. Not sure why, but just haven't bonded with them.

Last week we were playing in Cheyenne, WY and I needed to run down to Fort Collins to pick up some stuff at Guitar Center. While there I saw a Bullet Tele on sale for $149 brand new. Just for fun I picked it up and it just had that feel to it. Noodled on it a little bit then carried it over to our guitar player Danny. He's a Gibson guy like I am when it comes to guitars (he actually worked at Gibson for almost 15 years fitting necks to bodies mainly on Explorers and Vs), but after noodling on it for a bit we took it over to the amps and plugged it in. I expected thin, wimpy, brittle sound out of it, but wow! It has bark, spank, and a beautiful mellow sound from the neck pickup with the tone rolled off a bit. So I bought it. Danny has played it every night for at least a set since I got it.

The frets were OK, but I brought it home last night and spent the morning polishing the frets and burnishing a little bit of roughness out of the rosewood fingerboard followed by an application of Dunlop 65 lemon oil.

Kinda irks me that it plays, sounds, and feels better than my MIM Squier Strat.

I've never liked Teles. Even a little bit. I associate them with chicken-pickin' and pop-punk from the 80s, both like icepicks to my ears most of the time. But this one? It's just right. At $150 if it gets torn up on the road it'll be fine as long as it still plays, and if it grows legs and disappears it won't be that serious of a dent to the wallet.

I'm enjoying the hell out of playing it.

2. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Gratuitous hotel room shot with Ubass and mandolin lurking in the background and feeling jealous.

[​IMG]y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  3. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think people really owe it to themselves to try things they think they won't like every once in awhile. Especially with guitars, even if you tried one 5 years ago, it won't hurt (except to lose a few minutes of your time) to see what's new.

Glad you found one you like.
    HRASYLIGDfafda
    Happy Recently Acquired Suprised You Like It Guitar Day from a few days ago

4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Just like the one my kids gave me for Father's Day last year. It really is an amazingly nice playing guitar. Out of principle I did a fret level when I got it, and none of my other guitars really has anything on this one other than things like different neck shapes. Even the stock pickups are staying in.

Hit the back of the neck lightly with some 400 or 600 sandpaper and it'll feel like velvet.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  5. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Scotch Brite is much less aggressive and does a great reversible job.

6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I'm familiar, but I like the slightly better leveling effect of the fine paper. The original finish on these FSRs is very thin and non-shiny, and almost like bare wood, so neither Scotch-Brite nor fine sandpaper changes the appearance significantly. If the original finish had been glossy I'd go with the Scotch-Brite if I did anything to it at all.

7. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, it pretty much feels like bare wood, but I'm guessing it will get slick over the next few weeks.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Yes, a few weeks after the light sanding mine got sort of a semi-gloss to it. Then months later it got some grey areas appearing where I contacted it the most. I ended up sanding them off and rubbing a few very thin coats of polyurethane varnish on it with a paper towel. It had the desired effect, being nearly invisible while preventing further discoloration.

Kenneth Mountain, -r3- and so1om like this.
  9. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I'm off this weekend, so going to play the Tele as much as possible. Monday I have to start working on some new songs we're adding, so it'll be bass world unitl our next show on Thursday then off to Pennsylvania for a week.

10. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Funny how things seem to turn..And it's not just with music..It happens with food, cars, clothing, and most everything else..
    I really hated spinach when I was younger but it's now one of my favorite veggies..
    I never (for years) good deal with any guitar or amp that didn't say Fender on it..When I got something other than Fender on a deal, it was gone as quickly as I could find a buyer..Now it doesn't matter at all..
    I found a nice LP Jr. one time that changed my mind..That guitar had some of the best tone I'd ever found..
    While I still prefer old Fender amps, I liked several Peaveys that I've used..
    I played a march of dimes once through a Music Man 210 amp..My Tele never sounded better..
    Gotta keep an open mind.

11. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    You're still not a Fender guy, it's a Squier. These are nice Teles but they're not Fender specs at all.

wildelectric and drewcp like this.
  12. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Welcome to the dark side, brother... Everybody knows how into Squiers I am... I might as well be the unofficial Squier spokesman, lol... But even I was impressed at how great this lil Tele sounded...
    Sometimes we get surprised by things that we THINK we don't like, lol... I had basically the same situation as you, just in reverse, lol... I've never really liked Les Pauls, but recently I decided I needed a guitar for heavier stuff and instead of runnin out and buying a new guitar, I decided to just start upgrading my L.P. Special II... I threw a set of Guitar Madness Super 8 humbuckers in it, and in the process I re-discovered how much I LOVE that lil guitar... Sometimes WE don't even know what we like! Lol...

And I know there's people out there that'll say my lil L.P. isn't a "real" Les Paul, or that your Squier isn't a "real" Tele, but some people get so caught up in labels that they don't actually LISTEN... I don't care one bit what the headstock says, as long as it plays, looks, and maybe most importantly SOUNDS good to me... As long as YOU like it, brother...
    Welcome to the Tele club!

fattboyzz, Caddy and nicod98 like this.
  13. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    They might not be Fender specs, but they are Fender's specs.

Fender is both a company and a brand. A Squier is not a Fender-branded guitar, but it is a Squier-branded guitar from the Fender Company.
    Every Squier guitar - as far as I know - has the Fender name or logo on it (or both). Fender (the company) did this on purpose to protect their rights. Profits for the sale of ALL Squiers goes to Fender, which is only logical since its their product.
    Squier-branded guitars ARE NOT the same as Fender-branded guitars, that's completely true, and stating that they are would be wrong, but they are both from the Fender company, and both are therefore Fender-guitars (although not necessarily Fender-branded), whether they were made in-house or were outsourced does NOT change anything about that.
    If there is anyone that would say otherwise, should explain why the statements above would be wrong.

Playing a Squier (brand) or a Fender (brand) is both playing a Fender (company) guitar. So @LDS714 you ARE a Fender guy for playing a Squier.

I think it's just so wrong to put a completely legit Squier guitar down, people should stop doing that. It is a Fender product. If they feel a need to bash on anything, it should be copies, not Squiers.

14. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Playing the devil's advocate here ...

Apart from the name on the headstock, where is the dividing line between a top of the line Squier like a CV or a VM, and the low buck MIM Fender of the same model.

Don't tell me it's the labour please.

Both use the same wood, finish and basically same electronics (or very close). Hardware is a tad different in its metal composition, but is it enough to state that they are completely different guitars ?

Paruwi and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    I don't think he's bashing, just pointing out that there is a difference. I have a Squier standard tele & a Fender player series tele. Both are fine guitars but feel & sound completely different. The Squier's light, it feels a tad smaller, and has a pretty thin neck. The Fender weighs noticeably more, the body lays against you harder and its got a wider and deeper neck. I like em both...for different reasons

16. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Several times he has stated his opinion about squiers - it's ironic that he's a mod ?

Paruwi, nicod98 and Toddcaster64 like this.
  17. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    I think 'marketing' is the dividing line between Squier and Fender.

Like the Volkswagen group owns several car brands, Volkswagen itself is just one of them. While there's a big difference between Audi and Porsche for instance, the difference between VW and Seat is a lot smaller. They have identical bodies, engines, differ slightly in finish, but are massively different in marketing. The quality is the same.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Congrats on your FMIC \ Squier Tele:p:D

19. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2019
    Germany
    That's what really counts
    thump.png

3.jpg 4.jpg
    look what they've written on the backside of the headstock eusa_dance.gif

20. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    Congrats on finding a guitar you like, @LDS714 !

Some guitars I've been most pleasantly surprised by have been budget models. Some that I've been most disappointed by have been high end ones, sometimes very high end. It's all down to simply trying them out, IMO.

As for the "Squiers are/ aren't Fenders" squabble here... :rolleyes:.... What's the price of tea in China?..... :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice