Need some help on repair Squier Standard Strat

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by spoonbill fish, Oct 17, 2019.

1. spoonbill fish

spoonbill fish Squier-Meister

Oct 6, 2018
    Hiroshima, Japan
    OK, the nut on in input jack is loose. When I try to tighten it, it just wiggles. So how should I take care of this ? Also there is a lot of static when plugging in the cord.
    Thanks guys. DSCN4513.JPG

2. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Unscrew jack plate, pull it out (taking care to not jerk too hard on the wires so as not to break anything). While supporting back of the jack, take 10mm socket or pliers and turn nut till its snug. Reverse step 1. As far as the static, it's probably just due to it being loose, but you can always plug a cable in (without an amp attached) and make sure everything is connecting properly.

JurnyWannaBe, mb doug, drewcp and 8 others like this.
  3. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Oh..and for the record..its an output jack. Sound comes out, its not taking anything in.

JurnyWannaBe, Caddy, drewcp and 5 others like this.
  4. spoonbill fish

Oct 6, 2018
    Hiroshima, Japan
    Hey many thanks. Took me 3 attempts to get the nut loose. Had to use some of this stuff. Luckily I had some on hand.
    oil.JPG

Hey! Thank you very much. For some reason I thought it was the input jack.

Hi Ken. Been out cycling during the summer. PM sent.

5. spoonbill fish

Oct 6, 2018
    Hiroshima, Japan
    Got it to work. Thanks everyone. Now the pickup switch selector, well if I anchor my palm on it while changing pickup location, no noise. Not sure if I should spray some oil in it. What do you guys think?
    oil.JPG

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    No oil, that will eventually dry and cause electrical issues....I would only use electric contact cleaner on a 5-way or on pots....

7. spoonbill fish

Oct 6, 2018
    Hiroshima, Japan
    Thanks, you got a brand name that I can order on amazon.

8. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Deoxit is the ultimate electrical contact cleaner. Other brands may work, but it works best. ;)

9. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    Oh you have to input the cord to output the sound....;)

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Don't feel bad Spoonbill... I just noticed that Warmoth calls it the input jack too. :) It really is an output jack though.

11. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I walked into The Source, which is what Radio Shack turned into in Canada, to get some electrical contact cleaner and nobody working there had ever heard of it. They had it, I found it pretty fast, but I had to laugh that the guy who works at the electronics shop had no idea what it even was.

12. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I use CRC 2-26 for noisy switches and pots. It's cheap and it works very well.

13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Double nut that jack an it will never move again .

14. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    Lets drag this out....I have a marshall Dsl 40....right there on page 2 It shows and calls it an "Input" jack....so whats the difference ? :rolleyes:...LOL
    I bet it is the same jack but different places....(Hey...tryin' to be funny ! )

15. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

On an amplifier it is an input jack. As signal from the guitar is going in to the amp. With a guitar, the signal is generated by one or more pickups, and then goes out the output jack, headed to the amp.

16. I could never understand the confusion … signal out or signal in corresponds to the name of the jack.
    Cheers, Barrie.

17. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Anytime I have the jack out, I bend the business end in a bit to always ensure a good and tight contact.

18. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Right, it's no different from two identical knobs being labeled "volume" and "tone". The name reflects the function.

19. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    Signal goes out, but cord goes in. If one calls it just "the jack", one can't be wrong. That said, I always go with output jack.

Strats still have "tremolo" systems after 60 years.

"Trapezoid" tuners are actually parallelograms, (-OR- every parallelogram is a trapezoid, but not all trapezoids are parallelograms, depending on your definition)

Point is, whatever you choose to call these guitar parts, everyone knows what what an input jack, trap tuners, and tremolo bars are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice