Need help with wiring diagram please. H-S-S 2vol 1tone?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Gem23, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Gem23

Gem23 Squier-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Somerset, UK
    Hi, I have been hunting high and lo, and only really found that the normal procedure is vol and 2 tones. Does anyone use 2 vol and 1 tone?
    Anyway, beside that, I have wired mine (strat type) with the Seymour Duncan diagram that has the red and white of the humbucker together on a switch, and the middle tone doesn't do anything at all... I have checked many times...and its getting quite tedious..

There is also another arrangement, which Ive only just seen and will try next. but again.. two tones, and this has the SD SH4 red and white leads taped together and not connected to anything else. So Im not sure what difference that makes...

Its quite confusing, but maybe my brain just doesn't work well with wiring...
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Are you using SD pickups? The color schemes vary among the pickup manufacturers.

The humbucker wires that are taped together and connected to nothing are used for coil-splitting or phase shifting.

I haven't see a diagram for 2V-1T, but if I were doing it, I'd find a 1V-1T diagram (e.g. for a Tele) and then improvise.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    dbrian66 and Gem23 like this.
  3. Gem23

Gem23 Squier-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Somerset, UK
    Thanks. yes, I have a SH4 in the bridge, but the diagram 2, shows the red and white on a switch and the black on a switch, whereas diagram 1 shows the red and white together off a switch... but there is no coil tap switch in either diagram... Im not using coil tap, or phase, but I thought it would be handy to be able to bring hum bucker vol up separately, ?

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. Gem23

Gem23 Squier-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Somerset, UK
    Sorry, only just noticed the auto split thing on the second picture.. told you i was a confused wiring diagram follower..

dbrian66 likes this.
  5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    With a 2 vol 1 tone setup, which pickups are you wanting to control with the 2 vol?

6. Gem23

Gem23 Squier-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Somerset, UK
    The neck and bridge, I think.

7. Gem23

Gem23 Squier-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Somerset, UK
    In the second picture (2s) can you see there being a problem with the middle pot? The first tone pot was ineffective when I had it wired like that.

8. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    So the middle pickup would have no volume control? Is that something you would want?

In this diagram, the tone pot closest to the vol pot works only on the neck pickup and any other pickup connected to the neck pickup via the selector switch. The other tone pot works the same except for the middle pickup. So on some selected positions, that tone pot won't effect anything. Does that make sense?

Another simple solution would be to just use one master volume and one master tone. You could use the last hole in your pickgaurd for a kill switch or something like that.

Gem23 likes this.
  9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
  10. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I was just going to suggest Guitar Electronics - Davis has you covered. They also have a complete guide of the wiring color codes for each major pickup manufacturer.

11. Gem23

Gem23 Squier-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Somerset, UK
    Great. Thanks for the answers.
    I don' know what I want necessarily, I just wondered what is the best solution. What's the most common setup?
    I'm used to teles and double humbucker guitars, these 3 pickup setups are confusing me.. o_O
    Thanks.

12. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    The most common would be the first diagram you posted, with the red and white wires connected together.

Gem23 likes this.
  13. Gem23

Gem23 Squier-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Somerset, UK
  14. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
  15. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philly Area
    @Davis Sharp got lucky I guess ... just did a quick search myself as you know sometimes it's only a click away ..

Davis Sharp likes this.
  16. Gem23

Gem23 Squier-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Somerset, UK
    Excellent. Thanks.
    This makes sense to me rather than two tones..
    The wiring diagram I followed does not control the tone on the bridge pickup, and it is a JB humbucker, which is the one I would think would be the pickup needing control?
    I've now put it all back together, but I may be bothered to yet again (maybe the 10th time now) loosen all the strings, take the neck off, scratchplate off, etc..etc.. to change the wiring to that method.
    Cheers.

AllroyPA likes this.