Need expert help on my VM neck

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by TimTheViking, May 22, 2019.

1. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Grrrrr...I hate post like these.:mad::mad: Yeah I see the same thing!!! I got to looking real close, thing is I noticed it before, and I am like yup the spacing is not even. Now I gotta go and change the nut.

TimTheViking, drewcp and Bassman96 like this.
  2. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Now I gotta go get my ruler. HeHe;)

TimTheViking, drewcp and Bassman96 like this.
  3. duzie

duzie Squier Talker

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    I have 2 VM’s and just checked them .
    What do I see ?
    Yeah wonky spacing of the nut slots on both of them .
    If it wasn’t for this thread I would have never noticed lol .

4. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Are these all the new Indo made ones? I wonder if their machine is out of calibration. New factory, new issues.

5. duzie

duzie Squier Talker

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    Both of mine are 2015’s

6. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Yeah just remembered after posting that it was the CV that moved and VM discontinued.

7. duzie

duzie Squier Talker

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    Just for s&$&ts and giggles I checked my Schecter and it’s dead on spacing!

8. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    My 2015 VM needed the neck loosening, adjusting and tightening (to be fair I guess a good knock could have come anytime... I didn't notice the slight misalignment for a few months), the saddles replacing (originals were too wide for the bridge plate spacing so the strings never centred over them regardless of how much they were jiggled and cajoled... plus they're cheap rubbish! I fixed with the fitting of the entire MIM trem/block assembly) and finally the nut replacing to get spot on string spacing. I went bone. Like many apparently I felt the original was off centre and the string spacings not all they could be. A ridiculous QC fault to not have spotted and rectified one might have imagined quite simply rather than making it as it would appear a common issue.

All that said it plays beautifully now with the additional expense of only £30 (I'm only counting the cost of the nut as Fender sent me the MIM bridge assembly when I complained to them very nicely about their ill fitting original saddles) 'cos all the other elements to it are all CV/MIM quality. Lovely fretwork, modern neck shape, good tuners, decent switches and knobs and a very good overall finish.

No doubt the 'Duncan Designed' pups are cheaper than the Toneriders in the CVs or ceramics in the MIMs but by now, just as with neck dimensions we're no longer talking of 'quality' but rather beginning to speak to individual preferences as the strat really is a quite simple bit of kit in terms of components.

Anyway, the weakest point of the VMs is usually the bridge. Have you got pictures of the strings passing over the saddles please OP?

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  9. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Meister

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    No problem. Glad to help. Mine never would have been an issues if I didn't keep dropping the high E string off the fret. I think it may be a combination of the nut slightly off and a couple frets, especially the third, filed a bit too much.

duzie likes this.
  10. TimTheViking

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Maybe in my archives but she's packed up and on her way to Fort Wayne, IN to checked out by Sweetwater. Since it's under warranty and free shipping, I'm going that route rather than possibly making it worse myself. I replaced the nut on my ES-335 but the Tusq nut came already filed and all I had to do was sand it so that the first fret string height was right. This one would be a little trickier. Enough so that I'll let someone else do it.

I do have a a MIM bridge/trem assembly to use if I want. At least that's what I was led to believe when I bought the loaded pickguard and trem for something like $40. It's just been sitting but to be honest, I have no of knowing if it's genuine. I did post a picture of the pickups when I bought it and the consensus was it was genuine.

11. TimTheViking

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Mine is new.

12. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    So was mine.

TimTheViking ... if it's genuine MIM standard big block trem assembly it'll have PW 29 stamped on the bottom of the block.

And the plate and saddles will look like this...

[​IMG]

13. TimTheViking

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I believe my VM bridge looks exactly like that including the stamped "Fender" on the saddles.
    The supposedly MIM tree block has nothing stamped on the bottom.

14. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Those that cant return their guitar and already adjusted the neck as far as possible could try loosening the nut and move it a smidge to the bass side.. otherwise you would need to cut a new nut..

duzie likes this.
  15. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    The "Fender" stampings normally face the opposite direction on the VM bridge and the baseplate is "cheaper" - a bit smaller, thinner gauge, and smaller beveled pivot area at the mounting screw holes (as well as the obvious difference in blocks) The MIM trem (which actually comes from Taiwan) tends to be beefier all around where the VM seems to be more like a typical lower line Squier or off brand piece but with the "Fender stamped" saddles added in place of the more typical mystery metal block saddles

Looks like the guitar in question needs the neck rotated but tough to tell from pictures- no reason to accept it with a new guitar though even if fixable and should be exchanged by the dealer. Fender certainly isn't going to be motivated to spend any money unless they're seeing some kind of issue based on returned product. These guitars are purchased from the actual guitar factory by Fender for an agreed upon price for resale- it's in the factory's interest to cut whatever costs they can while still providing a good enough product to keep the contract- QC is usually a place where there is savings to be had by cutting- materials and labor has generally already been minimized

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  16. TimTheViking

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    We'll see where this goes. The color, Sonic Blue is discontinued so if it ever was exchanged, it would be a different color. But I'm sure it can be fixed.

17. TimTheViking

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    To tell you the truth, I have no idea which way the Fender stamping goes.

drewcp likes this.
  18. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Here is a pic of my block. I have been thinking of getting a new on but since its still under warranty I am going to see about sending it back. Look how I have it set for high E, low E and A strings.
    Bridge.1.jpg

19. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    If you look closely at the VM bridge in the previous post the "FENDER" in the saddles have the "F" end at the height adjustment side while the MIM bridge has these "upside down" in comparison. The baseplate of the VM trem is similar to the SE unit with the differences shown in the following pics between construction as well as the difference in beveled area on the underside.

The MIM trem is inexpensive enough I put them on pretty much all of my Squiers

20181107_204802.jpg

20181107_204558.jpg

20181107_204558.jpg

Attached Files:

20. TimTheViking

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    This is the bridge. I was told it was off a MIM Strat.
    tAFZPTGGQ7uYJ6iuSSNWZA.jpg EB6uSZHRTrOIoBUwIqQP8Q.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice