Need Advice Looper pedals

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by Jay Jackson, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I have the bigger DigiTech with separate three button footswitch, don't know the model, sounds fantastic and has all the bells and whistles, stores, sends, imports, switches tracks blah bla. I never use it, takes too long to relearn it. Younger guys seem better at operating these.

I want a simple one now like a Ditto or Ammoon, keep it simple for practice jams. I figure if I really need to start massive layering it is time to get out the multi track. Those do everything and if you pick the right model they are super simple to use. Pretty inexpensive these days too.

[​IMG]

optofonik and so1om like this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    And in fact you can overdub several times, and still go back and take them off one at a time, back to the first one. The only restriction with my Ammoons is I have to take them off in reverse order, so I can't take track 3 out of a mix of five layers, for example, I have to take off 5, then 4, etc..

so1om likes this.
  3. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I agree, keep it simple. If you come up with a great riff layered over chords, it’s time to track it. Or, this is what I’ve done to kick start a song....I layer something I like using the ditto but before that, I make sure I figure tap it out with bpm, than I just “record” it from the ditto to GB. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Davey and so1om like this.
  4. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    There are no "tracks" when using a simple looper; there is only one loop that can be dubbed over without destroying the previous recording. Yes, the most recent recording can be deleted but it isnt a "track" being deleted. In this way it is a bit different than sound on sound; but, still not that much. Even with sound on sound you could "delete" the last overdub.

To be clear, I've never owned or had the need for a middle of the road looper so I ended up with one of the simplest (and least expensive) I could find to serve a single specific purpose on my board and to use while researching what would be my main looper. My main looper is a bit more advanced.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Pat V. likes this.
  5. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    What do you use for your main looper?

6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I'm thinking outside the box here ... way outside the box.

Just buy a used Fender G-Dec 3; it has a phrase sampler function which is essentially a looper. You have two settings and can get up to 2:20 of loops.

That's not a lot, I know, but think about it: come for the looper (phrase sampler) and stay with the free modeling amp with 100 presets and a 10-inch speaker and built-in band backing tracks.

7. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago

You’ve lost me on the thought you are trying to convey, or I missed something. It’s ok, I don’t mean that disrespectfully. Just that I am lost.

8. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    Ralph I Have a G Dec Orignal 15 The Loop on Mine will only Get 50 sec. and I will need at least 3 min. The slots for saving Loops I will need and a sync is also what I want . Digitec makes a Good one also Vox LiL But they are over 100$ so any one Use Either The Digitec or Vox

9. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Looking at the manuals they say the original G-Dec phrase sampler only recorded for up to 14 seconds. The second-generation G-Dec 3 (why no G-Dec 2 I wonder) could record at two settings, 50 seconds for high resolution and 2:20 for lower resolution. I didn't know the original G-Dec had a 50-second functionality.

But if you need three minutes this won't work. Also unless you bought the optional footswitch you would have a miserable time trying to get that phrase sampler to work I think.

Again it was just an idea because it really is a good-sounding (albeit complicated) amp I think.

10. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    well Im not really shure how long the loop is it isn't long enough. I Bought the Amp More for the Different amp styles. and the Reverb settings.

11. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Two Boomerang III loopers with MIDI clock.

Pat V. likes this.
  12. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Nice! I use a pair of Pigtronix Infinity Loopers.

optofonik likes this.
  13. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    No offense taken. Do you know how sound on sound worked?

14. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Yes

15. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Now I'm confused. Do you use a basic looper or something more advanced?

16. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    How do you sync them? Do they generate MIDI clock?

17. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    They don’t generate MIDI clock. They have MIDI in only. The way I typically use them, they sync as slaves to an external master clock whether it’s generated by a computer, work station or drum machine.

optofonik likes this.
  18. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Mostly a Boss RC-3

optofonik likes this.
  19. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Same thing with the 'Rang. I use a standalone sync box but I tested the two Rangs using my laptop and a free software MIDI clock generator before I committed.

20. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I have used the Boomerang a few times and was really impressed with the sound quality. Great stuff!

optofonik likes this.