Need Advice Looper pedals

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by Jay Jackson, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    OK ..question--Can you make more than one loop ??What I mean is can you lay down three or four tracks and then play over them ???
    I see people doing that on you tube and wonder if they are using more than one unit..

dbrian66, so1om and Pat V. like this.
  2. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Yep. A single looper can do that. After a few layers, the earlier layers start to deteriorate but laying down two or three passes and then noodling over the combined 3 tracks works great.

dbrian66, so1om and Papa Joe like this.
  3. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Two things I love about loopers.
    First is, the guy you'll be jamming with will never make you feel like he's better than you.
    Secondly, you get to play with yourself and nobody can say anything about it.

dbrian66, BorderRadio and so1om like this.
  4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Got it. Thanks..I did notice the deterioration one those you tube videos so they must have been using only one unit..Same principal as what happens with ping ponging on tape..
    I can live with that..

dbrian66 and so1om like this.
  5. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have the Digitech Jamman Solo XT, that I got for its ability to store multiple loops, so I can store several chord progressions (songs) in it to solo over. The first one I got was the Rowin Nano looper, which I think actually may sound a little better, but I got tired of having to load a new progression into it every time I wanted to jam on a different song (I'm lazy). It comes with a nice utility for transferring loops to and from your computer, but the most annoying thing is that after you've downloaded a loop into it from the computer, you then have to unplug the USB cable from the looper to play the loop in it, and then plug the USB cable back in to load another loop. I know that's not a big deal, but like I said, I'm lazy, and I don't see why you couldn't just leave the cable plugged in all the time. I've been considering getting the Boss RC3 or the Nux Loopcore (also sold under the Hartke name), which is less expensive tha n the Boss or Digitech, to see if they sound any better than the Digitech. The Digitech also seems to kill your live guitar's dynamics some when you're playing a loop and have you guitar passing through it to solo over, with both plugged into the same amp. JamManSoloXT_Top_Text_original.png 201705121750283312.jpg 41LN+RDpt2L.jpg HL77Looper-large.jpg Also, when you do it that way, if you want to solo with some dirt over a clean loop, you have to get your distortion from a pedal between the guitar and looper, 'cause if you use the amp distortion, then it will distort your loop also. That's why I either have the looper going into a different amp than my guitar that I'm playing along with the loop, or I have the looper going into the aux. in on the amp, and my guitar going into the guitar input. That way I can use pedal or amp distortion without it affecting the loop.

so1om likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Reading this thread--I've had a couple Dittos, the mini and the stereo. Pretty easy to use and sounds good, but I need a dedicated stop button. This double tap thing kills my timing. I'm looking for a 'normal sized' stomp box with stop switch built in, no external switch.

so1om likes this.
  7. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Once you get your loops set up try sending the looper output to another amp if you've got one. I do with with my digitech trio and it sounds way better.

Davey and so1om like this.
  8. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I said that's what I do.

so1om likes this.
  9. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    So I went and checked out a bunch of reviews. All single switch models work the same as far as how to use it. Most are 24 bit. The Ammoon seams to have problems. The Hotone Willy+ Can store a lot of loops. and I would guess this is a pedal you don't really want to Buy Used. Any more suggestions. Not a lot of reviews for many of them on the market.

so1om likes this.
  10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    My Ammoon loopers and the ones they're clones of use a single button press to stop recording. The double press stops playback.

so1om likes this.
  11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Yes most of them are. As I said my Ditto offers 32-bit recording.

so1om likes this.
  12. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Yeah, The Low Down Sinner, (he's a bassist, get it? Lol) Yeah, Dewayne's definitely one of the good ones... He's played bass and recorded music for me for years... And he's helped me with countless stuff over the years... Matter of fact, he's gonna come help get my computer up and runnin again... Sorry to hijack, lol...

13. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I think it's best to not think of simple loopers in the same way one thinks about multitrack recorders. Looping is more akin to early "sound on sound" recording.

• Record a loop and that loop will play continuously until you stop playback.
    • If you want to record another loop, you will record it on top of the existing loop without deleting that existing loop.
    • Now, your first loop and your second loop are one loop, not two tracks.
    • This process can be repeated ad infinitum until your use up all your looper's memory.

Looping technique is very similar to the "sound on sound" technique pioneered by Les Paul. I think it's wonderfully ironic that these modern 21st century digital looping pedals require one to learn and master one of the earliest recording techniques; a technique that predates multitrack recording, a technique pioneered in the middle of the last century by the very same man who would invent multitrack recording several years later.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Papa Joe likes this.
  14. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    This is an extreme example of what can be done with one eight bar loop that repeats over, and over, and over, and...

However, that one loop can be used for a lot of "sound".

It was recorded with a Tascam Portastudio and it's built in mics. I had finished wiring the audio and power and wanted to take a break and have some fun while I checked the integrity of my work. Read the video description for more.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  15. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Yes Sir, That's pretty much the way I had it figured..I've recorded sound on sound tape in the past..The first time was about 1959, or there abouts...I used a Voice of Music sound on sound recorder..I tried it later using two machines but the deterioration was pretty bad,,..

16. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Sounds like...

[​IMG]

Papa Joe likes this.
  17. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I don't believe it was that model, but it was that brand..The one I used did sound on sound..It wasn't mine..I borrowed it from a friend..My friend later converted it to an echo machine which he let me use from time to time..
    That was a trip..lol..

optofonik likes this.
  18. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    But with a looper, at least the Boss, you can "unloop" a loop and go back to just the previous loop.

Triple Jim likes this.
  19. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    That is also analogous to early sound on sound recording technique.

20. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Quoting: "Now, your first loop and your second loop are one loop, not two tracks."

If it has become one loop, you cannot take one of them out because they are not separate.