Need Advice Looper pedals

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by Jay Jackson, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    I want to buy a Looper and I haven't had one before. I have heard some have Problems like sound quality and latency issues. I would like suggestions on what is a Good one any help is welcome. I don't want to break the bank.

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Good question..I'd like to have one that will play at least three minutes or more..

dbrian66, rorygman and SquierTap like this.
  3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    @Davis Sharp put together a spreadsheet, I believe,some time ago.

I have the Boss RC-3. With 99 recording slots and up to 3 hours of time, the extra switch to shift up and down etc. it all works quite well. I can record songs and progressions, backing tracks. I use it as a recording studio. Right?

But it’s a little bit of work at times. Too many features and functions when you just want to just do the simple chords and solo.

So I’m keeping it as it does have a good solid purpose and works well. But I’m thinking of a $35 Joyo or Ammoon or whatever off Amazon for the simple quick times I don’t want the hassle. A 72 track studio or a portable cassette recorder?

SquierTap likes this.
  4. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    all most all will play for 10 min some longer,some more expensive ones let you loop over your loop (You could Say Loop De Loop)

JoeInMichigan and so1om like this.
  5. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    The first question (besides how much you want to spend) is do you want a simple looper that loops and that's it. Or do you want to pay more and get one that lets you store some of your loops?

The next question would be how long do you think the maximum time you would need for a looper?

I have a basic TC Electronics Ditto Looper. It's fine and simple and easy to operate and sounds great . Sometimes , however, I do wish I had a more advanced model that would let me store a loop. I don't mind it has a 5-minute loop maximum time. I don't need anywhere need that long.

Also remember some other pedals have a basic looper function built in, such as the EHX Canyon delay which has 62 seconds IIRW. The more advanced (and expensive) Grand Canyon offers I think up to 16 minutes of looping. I think the TC Electronics Flashback delay offers a looper with something like 40 seconds of a looper.

Of course there are a lot of cheaper loopers available from Donner, Ammoon, etc. I think Hotone makes a small one that gets good reviews.

But again ask yourself those two questions and then add your answer about how much to spend and you should be on your way.

so1om likes this.
  6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Also for sound quality check the specs. My Ditto is 32-bit I think while others are 24-bit .. but the difference is so slight you may not notice it. I can't speak to latency issues at all.

so1om likes this.
  7. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2012
    Northern California
    I have a TC Electronics Ditto looper. Dead simple and more loop time than I'm likely to ever need. It's great for practicing/stretching out.

The units from Boss and Digitech also look great. I think it'd be hard to go wrong in about that $100 price range. You can get 'em cheaper, but I'd stick with quality for a tool like this.

If I were going to use a looper while performing, I'd be looking at the bigger brothers of the above units.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Squier Talker

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

What I have seen are two extremes. Either a player wants the top end most expensive and crazy complicated one or they want super simple and inexpensive. I'd suggest going super simple for your first one.

I use the Kokko SOS FLP2, there is an Ammoon version too, these are clones of the Ditto Mini, but for only $30 new each. If you think you want a two-button looper, just get two of these mini pedals and you'll still probably spend less and they will be more simple.

Most loops don't need to be that long. Often two or three bars long. The mini pedals above can do something like ten minutes though.

9. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    This is definitely a pedal I'll be buying after the first of the year .

I enjoy jamming with tracks on YouTube ,but looping some of my own stuff is where I want to go :0)

Pat V., so1om and JoeInMichigan like this.
  10. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Watching a few videos , I think something like the Boss RC-3 and the extension pedal would be for you.

11. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I don't have any videos :eek::eek::eek:

12. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    My phones auto complete did that. Then I edited. The RC-3 layers and saves so it’s nice to build songs.

fattboyzz likes this.
  13. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    so1om likes this.
  14. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Those are called "tapes" or "compact discs", Papa... Lol... I'm just playin, but that actually made me think of somethin... I heard one of my really good friends fixed a tape deck for you a little while back, @Papa Joe ...

Papa Joe likes this.
  15. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I know I'm tardy to the party, but I bought one of those Donner loopers on Amazon... It's a great lil looper, even has half speed and reverse (even though I never use those)... And the best part is that it only cost about 25 bucks... And as far as saving goes, it actually has a USB out, so you can move 'em right over to your computer...

so1om likes this.
  16. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Yepper he sure did..That would LSD714..He got my old 4 track recorder up and running for me and wouldn't even let me pay the shipping..
    Makes the world look like a good place to be..

SquierTap and so1om like this.
  17. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-Meister

Nov 24, 2018
    Idaho
    I had the Boss AC30 and honestly it was a bit confusing for me but useful and ended up giving it to my son-in-law. I have a Ditto looper now and really like it. Simple, fun to use, and a great practice tool.

so1om likes this.
  18. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    I have two Ammoon loopers. For a basic looper, it would be hard to beat the value. They can be had for about $30 (delivered) from Ali Express, or a little more from US sellers.

Davey and so1om like this.
  19. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    HoTone Wally. Fifteen minutes of recording. Input and output level. Speed control. Small. Simple. Everthing you need nothing you don't.

If you want to save your loops, increase you recording time, use removable storage, have USB connectivity, and spend $40 more, go for the Wally+ but at that point you're leaning away from "simple".

One of the things I like about the Wally not being able to save my loops is that it puts me in the headspace of simply practicing. Not just practicing exercises, though. It lets me practice the ability to create something then let go of it; building confidence in my ability to consistently create and that helps me avoid falling into the trap of believing "that'll never happen again".

I think such a simple looper helps make one a more consistent songwriter.

20. 808guitar

808guitar Squier Talker

Apr 23, 2018
    Hawaii
    Ditto Looper is a great first looper pedal. It is the simplest to use, sounds great, not a ton of features but perfect for just looping some tracks and playing over them without getting all sucked into the technical gunk that stops you from just playing.

I’ve had an RC3 and it was cool, I bought an Amoon looper recently out of curiosity and I’ve been impressed with it for a piece of Chinese junk, it works well.

However to be honest I usually just use GarageBand on my phone if I am sitting around home and want to practice something or work out a new part, just plug my guitar in and put on some headphones. It is easier and you can save what you like, add to it, etc.

so1om and rorygman like this.