Need a Fuzz for The Doors...

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by DJGranite, Jun 16, 2019.

1. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    I joined a band a month or so ago and were going to be doing a Doors tribute thing.
    I've done a ton of online research into the subject and know that Robbie Kreiger used the "Maestro" fuzz according to an interview with him.
    We are adding Hello, I Love You this week and the Fuzz figures prominently to say the least!
    I Don't currently own a Fuzz pedal.... I can't afford an original Maestro fuzz.
    So my question is this....

What is the best, affordable, fuzz type pedal to get me as close as possible?

While I'm at it, what's close to an Echo-plex? I know they used the Echo "Room/chamber' at the studio they recorded in, but… can't carry one of them around :D

Also, I've been hearing The Doors on the radio my whole life, well as far back as I can remember, but have never played any of their stuff before outside of Roadhouse Blues, Any suggestions on Effects etc that may help?

I am using a Gibson SG, and LP, Playing it through a Fender HRD... not perfect, but I do have access to a Twin as well.

SO any thoughts are appreciated....
    Thanks in advance to those who help

so1om, mb doug, Treynor and 2 others like this.
  2. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
  3. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Dont know much about what robbie used but it sounds like you could use one of those all in one programable type floor pedals like the line 6,, zoom,, digitech or boss multi effects.. one that has 4 or 5 settings and a expression pedal for a few different songs..
    unless you already have an assortment of pedals,, then just hunt down your fuzz..

ElRey67 likes this.
  4. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    I agree with @squierbilly, and if you do need to track down a dedicated fuzz I'd consider making it a Big Muff.

FWIW, fuzzed out Doors tunes have been very doable for me with one of those, a humbucker equipped guitar, and a Fender Studio Lead.

stratman420, ElRey67 and squierbilly like this.
  5. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    A lot of people are recommending the EHX Satisfaction as a good Maestro type clone.... I'll have to check it out.
    It seems affordable.
    I do have an old Ibanez multi-effects unit, I guess I'll have to dig it out and see what it has I might be able to use too.

BeepBoop and Bassman96 like this.
  6. BeepBoop

BeepBoop Squier Talker

May 30, 2019
    ND, USA
    Just be aware, the EHX satisfaction is supposedly based on the jordan bosstone, with clipping diodes missing, but pads on the circuit board for you to put them if you so choose, seems there may be a cap or resistor spot too.

DJGranite likes this.
  7. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Behringer makes a good fuzz clone SF300. I'm not sure what it's a copy of but you could get one cheap. The jhs pedal guy says it's a perfect clone of the Boss Hyper fuzz if I remember rite. It's $23-$25

DJGranite likes this.
  8. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Double post. The site is acting up again

9. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I think it would get close enough for a Doors cover from what I've heard. Plus you would have some Stones room too. It's a nice sounding fuzz either way.

DJGranite and BeepBoop like this.
  10. BeepBoop

BeepBoop Squier Talker

May 30, 2019
    ND, USA
    Yeah, I wasn't trying to say its not a good fuzz, I don't have any experience with it. Was just saying, EHX kinda tongue in cheek insinuate its a maestro when it is apparently not.

DJGranite and Bassman96 like this.
  11. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Gotcha. The maestro was a funky beast lol. I kinda want to build one for funsies now. I just need to restock my trannies first (things you can't scream in a bar....)

BeepBoop likes this.
  12. BeepBoop

BeepBoop Squier Talker

May 30, 2019
    ND, USA
    Yeah, I dont know if its because of scarcity of parts or what, but there dont seem to be many clones of it, certainly no budget ones. The dod carcosa is based on a maestro, but I think one of the later models.

13. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    It is a fairly simple low parts count circuit that is really tough to dial in the transistors in to get it to sound right. That might be why. The circuit loves really leaky transistors with the first 2s hfe matched. So on a production scale I can see how that would complicate things.

BeepBoop likes this.
  14. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Interestingly enough I found an old Gibson Ad for it on Youtube. Pretty cool to listen to. I love old advertising

15. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have a cheap tomsline fuzz. I think one of those could get you there. I haven’t really tested for clean rolloff yet though.

16. Tele56

Tele56 Squier-Meister

Jul 22, 2012
    AZ
    Check out Chicago Stompworks Black Fudge - MFZ-1 Cline. Sometimes they have sale on plain box pedals for $50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    There is the known and the unknown and in between are the doors.

I know Robby used a Fender a lot and those P-90 SGs...

BeepBoop likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice