Neck Polishing

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by JVjunky, Jul 10, 2019.

1. JVjunky

JVjunky Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I'm not too keen on the satin finish on the neck of my Squier Standard Telecaster. It's got a Maple fretboard/neck, but I don't want to go to the expense of having it re-finished with a gloss varnish.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make it a bit more glossy? I don't want it to be quite as glossy as a CV gloss tinted neck. I've tried furniture polish and that has made it a bit glossier, but I would like it to be a bit more glossy!

SquierTap likes this.
  2. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Wipe on poly. Just wipe on as much as you want till you get the feel you want.

3. JVjunky

JVjunky Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Any make in particular?

4. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    JVjunky and drewcp like this.
  5. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Minwax works well for me. Avoid the water based formula though. I have never had good results with it. Unless you live in California then that is all you can get.

The headlight restore kit is another option just a bit more elbow grease involved but it will shine up what is already on there asblong as it is thick enough not to sand through.

SquierTap and JVjunky like this.
  6. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Car paint rubbing (polishing) compound. Find one applicable by hand, without silicone. That way you don't risk applying something not compatible and end up wrecking your neck. It's got the same grit as the headlight restore kit, just cheaper.

SquierTap, JVjunky and Bassman96 like this.
  7. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    I’ve used semi chrome polish to put a gloss finish on satin necks lots of times. There’s enough finish on them already.

8. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Play it.

My favourite (most played) satin 2014 Affinity neck now looks almost as glossy as my 2005 'gloss' '72 Re-issue... well, certainly on the rear whilst my other '14 Affinity is still distinctly satin.

The fretboard is def getting there as well though... mainly on the lower frets at present as I'm not good enough yet to do a lot of lead. It's at the point I've bought some gloss to redo the headstock and butt to match it...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    waynes world likes this.
  9. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Tell ya what, if you wanna keep it simple, and just about fool-proof, I'd recommend Tru Oil... It'll gloss it right up (but not TOO much)... I redid an S.E. as a COMPLETE newb, I'm talkin sanded the body completely down to the wood, and it was SUPER easy, and I couldn't even manage to screw it up... Well, until I added wipe-on poly, and attempted to wet-sand it with some Dawn dish soap as lubricant, lol... But if you just do the Tru-Oil, it's just about fool-proof, available at Walmart, and there's a world of people who get great results with it... Just my $.02...

JVjunky and surf green like this.
  10. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    2 x Tru. @squier Tap is on it.

JVjunky likes this.
  11. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    I just put fast fret on it and the strings and play the heck out of it. dont care what it looks like as long as it make my hand slide with no stickiness

JVjunky likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice