Neck pocket clean up.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Las Palmas Norte, Nov 11, 2019.

1. A recent acquisition has me working on an issue with the neck pocket. Some of the finish wasn't cleaned up when built and the low E corner is slightly in need of correction, and won't allow for a precision fit. I know it's only about a sixteenth of an inch or less, but it don't sit right with me.
    So, I wondered about cleaning the pocket with my router, and how to go about that. I though that the pickguard fit just fine around the heel of the neck, and set out to use it as a template. I made a spacer 3/8"th thick, aligned it & clamped it between the pickguard and the body. I set the bit depth … tomorrow I'll see just how well this works.

NeckCavity-01.jpg
    NeckCavity-02.jpg

Anyone ever do anything similar? Stop me if I'm wrong.
    Cheers, Barrie.

2. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    The only problem I see is that you might scratch up your pickguard with the router.

3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    How much heat is generated between a router's bit and the template? I've never used a router, but I learned that pickguards can't withstand much heat when I tried to cut one with a Dremel. :oops:

mb doug and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. glmino

glmino Squier Talker

Nov 11, 2018
    Mars
    Does the profile of the pickgaurd at the neck make an exact match? ( My only concerne... ).

I just use a Dremel freehand, You can't even tell the hack job when it's put back together...

Mike

5. Yes it does, and that's why I'm using it as a template. I had a Dremel that packed it in, and don't find the need for one very often. I'm not comfortable with hack jobs and prefer to use the right tool for the right job approach. I do have one that's a large model with many attachments that I got at a garage sale used only once.

Well … the router base is as smooth as a babies bottom, and the pickguard still has the plastic protective film. There's such a small amount of material to remove, the router probably won't run for more than several seconds.

There's a bearing that meets the pickguard. So as the staft on the bit turns, the bearing doesn't spin against the pickguard edge. It will only be in use briefly as there's a very small amount of material to remove.

Cheers, Barrie.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  6. It ain't perfect but it's better than it was. It was either going to work, or fail miserably.

img01.jpg
    ing02.jpg

I'd like to ID this body wood. It is quite light. That's for another post later on.

Cheers, Barrie.

7. glmino

glmino Squier Talker

Nov 11, 2018
    Mars
    Hi Barrie,

Just a little old fashioned BONDO and your good as gold...
    ( Oh sh#t!, You're from Canada I wouldn't know what it would be called up there...Never mind,,, It's too cold up there for it to stick anyhow!!! ).

Seriously, You braved it out to get it started...!

Good work,
    Mike

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. I certainly do know what BONDO is, and I wouldn't even use it on a car where it was originally intended. Bondo on a neck pock? … that's a first for me.
    Oh and BTW, not all of Canada is "cold", just like not all of the USofA is cold.:D
    Yup ... figured I had nothing to lose and felt fairly confident I was going to pull this off. I smidge of router burn but it was due to slow and careful router action. I must have run thru that process in about 2 seconds. Prep, like most anything, was much longer.
    Cheers, Barrie.

glmino, Kenneth Mountain and Caddy like this.
  9. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    I always figured Vancouver was pretty much Seattle North. Wet.

10. Wet in the Autumn and winter. Very little rain in the summer. Yup … and much of coastal areas up the British Columbia coast and Vancouver Island (where I am from). Even the extreme southern coast of Alaska is relatively mild in comparison to inland regions.
    Cheers, Barrie.

glmino and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. glmino

glmino Squier Talker

Nov 11, 2018
    Mars
    Like I said... Good work.

I use wood epoxy or marine epoxy, then finish to taste...

Mike

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  12. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I clean em out with 220 grit sandpaper an elbow grease ;)

If the fit ain't right I'm fixing it !

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  13. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Squier-Meister

Feb 2, 2013
    Bucharest - RO
    For a simple bump, you might try next time with a simple chisel... I do it often to align my pocket necks...

14. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    I’ve done it with a small wood chisel, sharp enough to cut with just hand pressure. No hammer or mallet was involved. The process is slow, but controlled.

15. I'd need a gouge chisel to work the corner area of the neck pocket … oddly, something I don't have. I really wanted to try the router and see if it could be done using my theory. If I ever need to do this again, I might very well try a chisel. Thanks.
    Cheers, Barrie.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice