Neck mod from Darrell's house

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by surf green, Dec 5, 2018.

1. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Here is an interesting and useful way to smooth out fret ends and roll the fret board edges at the same time. Darrell is at it again, this time with Squier fans in mind, and with the use of his micro cam, I think he nailed it.

2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Very cool. Any special kind of foam sanding block? Is this available at Home Depot?

dbrian66, Bluzy and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Looks like a standard 2 grit painter's block. He's using the fine side only.

4. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I just watched this about an hour ago lol. Easy fix..

5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    great stuff ! ! I'm going to do some rolling ! ! !

6. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    If anyone does this, let us know how it turns out.

7. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I have many necks that would benefit from that. Will have to give it a shot this weekend.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Squier Talker

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Often 'rolled fretboard edges' are done with a smooth chrome phillips screwdriver shaft held in both hands to 'mash' and slide or burnish the fretboard edge. this is more useful for fretboards with finish on them.

Rat-tailed or triangle files with ground smooth safety edges can contour the fret ends too.

9. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Fret ends, sure. Rolled edges, that’s just damage to me.

dbrian66, radiotech and Davey like this.
  10. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-holic

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    Seems like some shady fret work recommendations to me. I can tell you that below is a photo of a buttery playing fret.

[​IMG]

11. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I think it just comes down to your playing preference. If you like a rolled fretboard,this looks like a good way to accomplish that on an unfinished board.I do like them, and will give this a shot this weekend.

12. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    He used basic home store items like a sanding block and steel wool

13. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Meister

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    A little goes a long way here, I think.
    I don’t really see the end for rolled fretboard edges most of the time
    But maybe some players notice it more
    Just softening the contour a tiny bit may be all that is needed.

14. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Meister

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Supposed to be rainy here this weekend. Think I just found a Saturday project!

15. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    The use of the sanding block here is a first for me. I've done the fret ends in a similar way using the fine end of a sharpening stone, and the following that with some touch up with an automotive points file..

I'd personally be hesitant to focus on the wood, and just stay on the metal fret ends. But if one prefers that feel, and is willing to accept that the rounding ("rolled" effect) will not be consistent (and it is not -- you can see that on the video) -- and if the guitar is an inexpensive one -- then I suppose this is worth considering.

For me it is a matter of getting the fret ends smooth, not to the eye, but to the hand. And then just playing the guitar a lot.

But playing, I know, isn't a big part of the guitar thing to some. It's the buying, selling, flipping and modding that matters. :)

-don

radiotech and Bluzy like this.
  16. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    His video was to make a Squier strat more like a fender so that I guess is about playability

17. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I've done this for some time. I usually start with a sharpening stone to get the fret edges down as much as possible then proceed to "fine tuning" with the sanding sponge, taking some of the edge off the fretboard. I've often then come back with a Phillips head and done some additional "rolling" on the board. It's a little of this and a little of that till you get the desired results. Always proceed with a light hand and take enough time to get best results.

18. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Maaaan... Lol... I just saw this about 2 days ago, and at first I was like "Man, I don't know about all of this, right here..." Lol... Just takin a sandin block to a neck really kinda seems like one of those things you shouldn't do, lol... But, I saw his point... Now, I don't really play alotta high end stuff... I really should change that about myself, but I get a little "SquierSnobby"... Lol... I've actually referred to myself as a SquierSniffer instead of a corksniffer, lol... I have a tendency to dismiss guitars that aren't Squiers, because Squiers hit that sweet spot between value/quality and because they're easier to mod and fix up...
    And if a guitar gets out of my price range, it literally turns me off, man... Seems silly... Who wouldn't wanna walk in a music store, grab an American Fender off the wall, plug it in a super nice tube amp, and take it for a test drive?!? Well, me... Lol... Just doesn't seem like alotta fun to me... Maybe because I know I can't afford it and I'm secretly afraid I'll really like it? Maybe... Could be because I'm REALLY not into chasin material stuff, and my dumb principals... I fiercely defend the idea you shouldn't "have" to spend a thousand bucks on an instrument that feels, sounds, plays, and looks good...
    So, my '50's CV is probably the nicest guitar I've ever played... And one of the reasons is the neck... But where with most of my guitars, I can't wait to mod 'em, make 'em better, and make 'em my own, I've left my CV bone stock, except flippin my 3 way switch around "hotrod" style ala one of my Tele Heros, Mr. HotRod Lincoln himself, Bill Kitchen...
    But I can see where having the fret ends rolled and smooth would make a neck feel better... And then I thought about the actual edge of the fretboard and how rounding it off would feel better than just a flat corner, so I decided to give it a try on my SE build that I just finished... But the only sanding block I had was WAY too coarse... Now he never says what grit block to use, he just said that one side was "coarse" and one side was "fine"... So I took some 220 grit paper, wrapped it around my super coarse block and went to town...
    The first thing that I noticed was how the rosewood neck made this almost purplish powder... That kinda freaked me out, but I decided to continue...
    I was surprised how much it took to get the fret ends down smooth, and the fretboard itself... It actually can take way more sanding than I thought... So it's a gentler process than I thought... And I wound up really diggin the results so far...
    One of the only things I didn't just LOVE about this SE when I first got it was the neck... But now, after my complete makeover, with a few small adjustments to the truss rod, and THIS little trick? Now I actually really like the feel of this neck in my hand... That's awesome... I've done a little of just about everything now when it comes to modding except fret work, and honestly it's a little intimidating to me... But this little trick seems to be a great 5 minute mod when done in moderation, of course... And came in handy for a couple of my guitars with rougher frets... Also tried this on my Bullet 'Stang and after just a bit, I gotta admit, it DOES make a difference, and it isn't as uh... "cheese-grater-y" as I thought takin a sandin block to the neck would be...

19. Mister Noonan

Mister Noonan Squier-Nut

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    I'm in the camp that thinks fretboard modifications are a good thing. I think of the neck not unlike a handle - the more ergonomic you can make it while producing the desired sound, the better - and I also roll between the frets as well as some have described (I've tried both screwdriver and exacto knife). IMO this mod is best on rosewood boards. I've done satin maple as well, but haven't touched any gloss boards. It's something I like to experiment with on low investment guitars or guitars I know I won't part with.

Anyone who is a fan of Chappers and the Captain, here is a good video where the Captain can really tell the difference blindfolded. Right around 5:15

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  20. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    The CVs I've noodled on have slender feel necks that didn't seem to need any fret edge work etc. Nice from the start! I've had and played SEs and my experience is that they are a thicker, chunky feeling neck. They pretty much all need work on the fret ends and it helps to round the edge of the board a bit. It's nice that they are all RW and easy to work on. When a decent job is done on these, they really have a nice feel for me personally as I like em a little on the chunky side myself! We're talking guitar necks here!! Anyway, it's well worth doing up a SE neck as they really can be great playing when done! Just my 2 cents.

Kenneth Mountain and SquierTap like this.