NC Ceramics vs New Alnico V single coils

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by squierTony, Oct 18, 2018.

1. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I've got 2 strats one is a partscaster with a set of new alnico v pickups and the other is a newer Affinity with a loaded guard from an NC Affinity. I was messing around with both these guitars today trying to decide if I should keep one or the other and thought I would be able to easily pick out which sounded better. Well when I was done I decided that I liked the ceramics better. To me the ceramics were more warm sounding and not trebley. Both guitars play well and to me both sound good which didn't help with the decision lol. One thing that I did like better about the Affinity was that it is much lighter that the full sized body of the partscaster. I guess I'll just have to keep em both a little longer... 20180923_210052.jpg 20180707_122914.jpg

Treynor, fadetoz, Taurus and 7 others like this.
  2. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I really like the look of the wood grain/black guard one...

3. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Alnico Vs... partscaster.

4. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    As I've said before, it is surprising just how good NC ceramics sound. Nicely done.

dbrian66, Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  5. nitro

nitro Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    If there not that far apart bro, I would most deffinitly keep the trans black with the alnico’s. NC’s arent that scarce and black and white strats are the bread and butter of our world.

Why not keep, the marmelaid. Yummy! I really like that transparent black look with the blacked out running gear and gaurd. Sho nuff is sharp. Just my two cents.

6. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Meister

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    I love the sound of the crematics personally myself. I know a lot prefer Alnico V but my personal preference is the ceramic too

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Meister

While I'm big on the ceramics, I'm not sure why you would let either guitar go. They are giving you tones that are very useful, and replacing either one will only cost you down the road.
    Keep them both.