NBD, VM Telecaster Bass

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by Smith357, May 13, 2019.

1. Smith357

Smith357 Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
    Found this bad boy at my local guitar pusher, I was apprehensive at first due the wrong bridge and the extra holes, but after I played it I decide it needed to be rescued and could not go wrong for the money. I'm going to put on a Hipshot Kickass bridge, the extra inch of lenght past the mounting screws should cover a couple of blown out holes just below the bridge after I have filled them, and put on a 51 P bridge cover on it using machine screw inserts in the existing the screw holes on either side of the bridge to prevent the cover screws from stripping out the wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jjudas, RoyalWe, squierbilly and 8 others like this.
  2. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Shame about the bridge but cool piece none the less. I do wonder what goes through people's heads sometimes but I'm sure you can get it sorted out. Congrats!

3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    That’s a nice score!

4. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Nice Rescue Mr. Smith ! ! Bring her back alive ! ! ! Congrats ! ! !

Smith357 and SquierTap like this.
  5. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    That is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen! Lol... Just, woah... I've never seen one of those with the Tele pickguard and the pup in the middle!
    Now, I don't know because I've obviously never played one of these, but I might try putting a more conventional pickup closer to the bridge... Why not?!? You've got room, AND you don't have to be scared of dingin it cause someone else already broke it in and put a few extra holes in it, lol... And besides, Teles look best beat up...
    Awesome score, congrats, man!

Smith357 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Nice catch @Smith357 I lke the Tele body with the thin top 'Tele' style headstock.

@SquierTap Why would anyone choose to put a pickup not already in the bridge position, in the absolute worst place on a guitar or bass? The is no position on any guitar that sounds worse than at the bridge.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Smith357 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
  8. Smith357

Smith357 Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
    The stock bridge was a two saddle like new Bronco, I can understand changing it out for a 4 saddle, but use something that matches, Doh! .... and those random holes, WTF? The bridge cover screws do match Fender spacing, so I will pick up a bridge cover at Sam Ash after work. The Hipshot bridge should arrive early next week.

The pickup is in the sweet spot, it is where Leo intended it to go when he made the first P bass, the 3 way switch runs a tone circuit that goes from bright to mellow, so it can get those bright bridge tones if you want.

Kenneth Mountain and SoundDesign like this.
  9. Smith357

Smith357 Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
  10. Smith357

Smith357 Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
    New Hipshot KickAss bridge came in, easy mounting, holes lined up, just screwed it in place. spent 20 minutes setting height and intonation. shes good to go. Best part is that the superfluous holes are covered buy the larger bridge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

daan, RoyalWe, squierbilly and 2 others like this.
  11. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Damn those things are hard to find.. and when you do they usually want a boat load of money..
    Nice save.. now Enjoy!..

12. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Awesome score! Had one for a bit a year or so ago, cool little Basses. Wish they used that 32” scale more often. I swapped the input jack cup for an electrosocket, an upgrade I highly recommend as the stock cup tends to get loose with time.

13. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice