NBD: Grote

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by RoyalWe, Dec 30, 2019.

1. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    The Grote Bass I ordered in early December finally came today! It’s a clone of a Hofner club bass, and it sure is sweet. The red looks fantastic. Considering it was only $200 from Amazon, the few blemishes near the controls aren’t going to bug me. What is bugging me a little is how the neck pickup is considerably quieter than the bridge pickup, but they both work at least. Lol. All in all, it’s a nice bass, and might have some modding in its future! 6F841222-A7FC-43BD-9688-AD77E517DE93.jpeg 96580648-0974-40BF-837D-8F70D69F2077.jpeg 02AEF0F4-A31E-4FEB-83F3-570737EECA01.jpeg C8DD86FE-C4DC-4C3F-A0D0-D89CD90EC1E5.jpeg BC137C47-FB22-4B73-9D63-67DB171894C2.jpeg

2. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Looks great, hopefully you can clear out the electrical issues. HNBD!

3. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-Nut

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Sweet bass, HNBD, amigo!
    Looks like it has all kinda buttons, switches, knobs an stuff to troubleshoot, to find what's all cattywampus...
    I wish ya th best of luck in findin a quick, easy, an cheap resolution, so ya can then git after makin us some demo vids of yer new bass...:)

4. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Thank you both! For now, I’m not worried about the issue. I suspect this it may simply be a case of a lower output pickup. Still, I’m tempted to just have a new control plate made for a VVT setup like a jazz bass. We’ll see what the future has in store hahaha.

5. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Very clean. I like the finish.

@radiotech turned me on to their version of the Epiphone Century. the non-cutaway thinline with single P-90. This seems promising.

Enjoy!!!

6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Nice, I was eyeing those before I got my Hofner Icon used.

Like the Subway in New York, Hofner style controls are slightly confusing to a stranger.

Musicplayers.com gives a perfect explanation in their review of the Hofner 500/2 club bass:

“The Hofner passive bass circuit hasn’t changed much since its early days. The controls have two volume potentiometers. The knob towards the headstock of the bass controls the neck pickup or “bass” pickup. The knob towards the bottom of the bass controls the bridge pickup or “treble” pickup. There are three slide switches on the control panel. While they might not be intuitive based on what we have gotten used to from more modern basses, Hofner has kept the controls consistent with their vintage design. The first switch is labeled “rhythm/solo” which, in the rhythm position, adds a resistor to the output to reduce the output. In solo mode, the resistor is switched out of the circuit so that it can be used to give the output a boost. The other two switches are labeled “bass on” and “treble on.” The “bass on” switch actually turns the bridge pickup off and adds a bass boost. The “treble on” switch turns the neck pickup off and adds a treble boost.“

7. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Very cool. The neck pickup appears high (close to strings). Try lowering it to the top of the cover and check the vol again. Worth a shot, before tearing into the electronics.

8. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    You’re correct about that! That was my doing trying to get the neck pickup to be louder. Then I found out, the neck pickup IS the loud one, the controls are wired wrong! The neck pickup is adjusted by the treble switch and the “bridge” volume pot. The bridge pickup was the quiet one. A bit of height adjustment and they leveled out. Thing is, between that mixup and this flat spot along the neck I found, I may see about exchanging it or getting some sort of a refund. It’s like whomever was shaping the neck went one stroke too many with their rasp just below the third fret. Idk, am I being too picky?
    4E8DD8DF-D292-4AEE-8C93-DB34BA97CEBF.jpeg

9. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Here you can see the depth of the dent/flat spot while looking down the length of the neck.
    7EE8F10F-134F-49E9-8465-103BF976FD5B.jpeg

squierbilly and dbrian66 like this.
  10. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    At that price point, I wouldn't personally worry about the electronics issue. What I would do is ask them what their process is like for returning, due to however many issues you want to claim. Then, see if they offer a discount for keeping it, and weigh that option.

I think if they offered like $20 bucks or more back, I would probably keep it, but that's just me.

11. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Thanks for the input. That’s about where I’m at. The hassle of returns/exchanges hardly seems worth it, but I did contact the seller to ask about their return/refund process to see what they may offer.

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  12. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    I believe @squierTony purchased a FFTH thru Amazon that had some issues. If I recall, he was allowed to keep the damaged guitar and was sent a new one. Best to check with him before contacting Amazon. Also I have read that Grote and Firefly come from the same factory.

13. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    That’s the rumor going around. Personally, I don’t think they are the same factory. They’re definitely not the same Amazon seller, anyway. I’ve wrote them asking what they’re willing to do about it, we’ll see what they say back.

drewcp, Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  14. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    That's exactly what happened.

15. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I sure wouldn’t mind if that’s what shakes out! This one’s really not so bad, but QC should have caught some of this.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  16. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I sold the new one then gutted and refinished the one with the finish issue. Free guitar... 20190912_215421.jpg

17. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Seller got back to me, offered a $40 refund. Good enough for me!

18. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Any more thoughts/Impressions? Tone, feel, playability? Very curious about this bass. Have one sitting in the cart. Let's hear some more details.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  19. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I figured I’d just make a demo since I had the time. Mind you, it still has the stock strings and they’re not the best. Really need flatwounds on it to get that thump.

20. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Nice demo.
    I always enjoy hearing someone who knows how to play the bass (you certainly do) :)
    The Grote sounds great to my ancient ears. Fingers moving ever closer to the buy button.

squierbilly and RoyalWe like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice