NAND

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by strat_strummer, Jul 6, 2019.

1. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    New adjustable nut day. I found this on the jungle and ordered it not knowing how it will turn out. I had had to take out the adjustment screws and make a mark so I could drill underneath the screws. They were set in so deep that it lifted the nut out of the slot. It fits perfectly now and looking forward to getting this build finished. Its on a brand new Mighty Mite neck.

IMG_0424.JPG

2. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Seems like a good idea, let us know how it turns out.

3. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    Looks interesting and I'd really like to see how it works and how well they overcame the seeming potential issues-
    - Even with a very fine micrometer thread it has to be adjusted to a quarter turn; is it precise enough to be worthwhile?
    - Looks like the slots are identical and need a final file to fit?
    - Will the saddle/screws get torn up when you adjust them? Seems like the threads would have to be tight to keep from losing tone
    - Are the threads tight enough to keep from wanting to move while playing- particularly on sharp bends?

Not trying to be a naysayer- genuinely interested and how this product works and if its worthwhile- something I hadn't seen before

4. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    Easy answer, not sure. What you see is as far as I will get until they get the body done I ordered. There will definitely be some fine tuning on the screws with nut files but again I'll have to wait. As far as a quarter of a turn, I honestly don't see that being much of a increase/decrease in fine tuning. Feel free to ask all the questions you want, its a learning experience for me as well.:) I've never seen it either but easy fix if it doesn't work.

5. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    Are the screw heads supposed to work as nut slots?

I put one of these on a MIM Strat about 20 years ago.
    88F57C63-4873-40F8-AB12-C2E37000EEB2.jpeg
    It worked very well. I would also be interested to know how you like yours.

6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

It looks like the slots in the screws are meant to be the actual nut slots, and either you have them out of order or they're not done being filed for the strings.

Admittedly I could be way off base.

7. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    Yes they are. It is a hardtail I'm building otherwise I would have bought a roller nut. I've never seen one like this so should be interesting.

8. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    Yes they are out of order Jim, I just slapped them in there for the pic. I will install them correctly when I get the body. It looks like I'll have to do some filing because the action will be a bit high but I expected that.

drewcp likes this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I really should have worded that as a question. :) I've never seen a nut like that before and I like it. I can't say it's necessary to have the adjustability, but it would be nice after a fret level to just turn the screws a little and be done.

How do the screw heads ensure that the strings contact the slots only on the side toward the frets?

I'll look forward to a review when you've used it for a while.

so1om likes this.
  10. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    This is the first time I've seen something like this so I have no clue how its going to work. I like the idea of the cross cut out on the screw head though so I'm sure it will give me more of a micro adjustment.

Triple Jim likes this.
  11. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    I have used one and a word of advise. make sure you oil the threads before you put it together. One of the screws became corroded and did not want to turn...

strat_strummer likes this.
  12. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    Great advise Mark, thank you. I noticed already the screw is a bit difficult to get ahold of.

13. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    I actually took mine out and tapped the holes to accept steel screws but then you lose that cross groove for the strings slot.
    Is yours from Germany?

14. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    Not sure where but the name on the package is Guyker.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice