NAD: VHT Redline 20R

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Eddie, May 22, 2020.

1. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    My new toy arrived today. VHT Redline 20R. $0 pledge. No out of pocket new money.

Cost $159 with free shipping.

I'm looking to consolidate my rig and move the 100w head and 2x12 speaker cabinet. I simply do not have space.

20200522_202942.jpg 20200522_202947.jpg

Cute little guy. 1x8" speaker. Spring reverb. Four sets of increasing distortion. The Redline distortion isn't too bad.

Unfortunately, an 8 inch speaker just can't push out enough air. It's not gonna be able replace the 2x12. Not even close. I think I'm resigned to keep the larger rig. This little guy is ok, but doesn't give me the punch I want. Not even close.

I have another dilemma now .... I played the HSH MIM a bit. Nice sounding guitar. Definitely a keeper. $0 pledge. BUT ... it's not a metal guitar. The Alnico pups sound nice, but it doesn't have a heavy drive. Obviously, it's not made for someone looking for that Metallica/James Hetfield chunk.

BUT ... on the flip side, I was gifted with a set of 1980's Jackson pups by @surf green . (I can't thank him enough). I put them on an NC4 Bullet along with an RRG harness. I'll tell you ... that neck pickup sounds freakin' awesome !!! Thick like a Brazilian bootie. Chunky, rich, but still concise. I use the neck pup 90% of the time. James Hetfield would approve.

I'm thinking this Jackson loaded pickguard should go on the new MIM. That would instantly make the MIM my main guitar. But sigh ... I don't want to start modding a brand new MIM. I need time to work with it. I'll tell you though ... the Jackson-caster has a crunch that is deserving of Metallica. :)

IMG_20200520_194556.jpg

2. MI redneck

MI redneck Squier-Meister

May 7, 2020
    MI
    I think keeping the 100W and the 2x12 was the plan all along. :cool:

Congrats on the new toy!

Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    In an effort to conserve space, I've been thinking of moving the bigger rig. But I give up. Not gonna happen. The Acoustic 100H head is really good with pedals. The distortion sounds like a fart, and the effects are pretty light ... not overwhelming. The Blackstar 2x12 cabinet pushes out nice air, and gives me that thick metal tone that I want.

So that's that. I'll keep the VHT. Not really sure what I was expecting. Miracles do happen. ha ha. But not at $159.

4. MI redneck

MI redneck Squier-Meister

May 7, 2020
    MI
    Look, Eddie, we know what you tell the Missus.
    But you can be honest with us. ;)
    Lol. Just razzin' ya man. Glad you're semi happy with the VHT.

5. wickedtools

wickedtools Dr. Squier

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Why don’t you try the Redline with a 1x12” cab then go from there.

6. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yeah, I'm thinking I should done that. But the 12 inch was an additional C-note. I'm a cheap modder forker.

But I'm ok with the 1x8 for now. The Redline level distortion isn't too bad. I can use it without pedals.

Do you think it would sound a bit fuller with an additional 1x8 cabinet? $109 + free shipping.

Kenneth Mountain and wickedtools like this.
  7. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    I coulda sworn they said "Johnson".

Kenneth Mountain, drewcp and Eddie like this.
  8. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Those Johnson pups sound incredible. I wanna take them off the NC and put them on the MIM. They deserve a higher pecking order. :)

Have you been working on any Tele mods lately?

Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  9. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Nope, don't think that'll do it. I just took a look at the download sheet for that and IT says that if you plug a cab into the output the combo speaker is automatically disconnected. Have you (just for fun) plugged it into your 2x12? I'm thinking maybe your desire to gain space might be furthered by replacing the 2x12 w a 1x12, and keeping the head and the redline around for a bit? Wonder what sorta deals await on a used 1x12 cab over the MemDay Holiday weekend?

10. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    That's a great looking amp @Eddie

11. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Great idea. I just ran upstairs to give this a try. Sounds fantastic !!! The lower wattage actually helps drive the amp better. Sounds great a low volume.

Ignore the mess in the mancave. I'm still cleaning. :)

20200522_223417.jpg

Now ... is there an A/B switch available that would allow me to switch between the Acoustic and the VHT? I'd rather not plug and unplug.

Sounds so much better with the 2x12. :)

You guys rule !!!

12. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    If you just swap the PG on the Player Series guitar, you're not trashing all the guts like I do with my Strats where I try a dozen different pickups in them, so there's more and more ugly globs of solder on the switch contacts and on the backs of the pots, lol. The only thing you gotta unsolder are the hot and gnd. wires to the jack. When I was a tech building pc boards for IBM in Silicon Valley, my work was meticulous and perfect, mil-spec quality. But, on my guitars, I don't care what it looks like, as long as it's electrically sound, so sometimes it looks like it was done by a blind 5 yr. old, lol.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  13. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yes, I'm thinking of swapping the loaded pickguards on both guitars. But I wanna spend a little time with the stock MIM. I'm happy with both at the moment. :)

Do you guys know if this is a good AB switch?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N3ZBHR5/?tag=squiertalk-20

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    There are speaker switchers made for stereo setups, but they're made for bare wire, so you'd have to remove the 1/4 in. plug off three cables, two from the amps, and one to the cab, to connect it. Just make sure you get one that's made to handle 100 watts. They're about $30-40 on Amazon or other online stores.

Kenneth Mountain, drewcp and Eddie like this.
  15. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It says you can use it for speakers, so it should be ok. Just make sure whichever one you get is passive, not active, 'cause an active one isn't made for the high current and high voltage speaker signal, but for the low level guitar signal.

16. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Man, I should have just gotten the VHT Redline 20R head. But this works. I ordered the AB switch.

Should be lots of fun. :)

Kenneth Mountain and DougMen like this.
  17. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Just remember to connect it backwards, with the cab to the input, and the two amps to A and B. And be careful, 'cause if you use it on A and B, instead of A or B, then you're gonna have both amps outputs shorted together, which could fry them.

18. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Gotcha. Muchas gracias. Says it'll get here by Thursday. Hollah.

Unfortunately, this is $30 not from my $0 pledge. Argh. But I'm meeting a FBM buyer tomorrow to sell a $20 computer case. :) So that helps. Oh yeah.

Kenneth Mountain and -r3- like this.
  19. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    As long as you keep the slide switch on the left on the A/B box it'll be ok, 'cause that' s the A or B setting, and the right is the A and B setting. And then the footswitch will toggle between the two amps.

20. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Interesting little amp. But this.....
    An 8 inch speaker is never going to give you that thick of a sound. It just cant drive enough air. But used, you might find $159 will get you closer to that.

Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice