NAD - Orange Micro Terror

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by mkt3000, Aug 1, 2012.

1. mkt3000

mkt3000 Squier-holic

Jan 23, 2012
    Miami
    I went by the only decent music store on the west side of Puerto Rico to pick up a 12AU7 tube to try and tame one of my Kustom Defenders (BTW, it worked perfectly. The Kustom now has lots more clean headroom and takes pedals like a boss). While I was waiting in line, I saw that they had an Orange Micro Terror on the floor, so I grabbed a guitar and cranked it. Yeah... I have a weak spot, and the amp and tube went home with me (after negotiating, because the salesman didn't want to let it go without the cab).

First impressions - Orange seriously has made this the perfect travel amp. Not only is it tiny, but it comes with a 100-240v/50-60hz power adaptor, and US, EU, UK, and AUS plugs. I might bring this along for any shows I have in the French islands and former British territories (who use Europlugs and UK plugs).

This is a cheeky little amp. Playing it through my 2 Kustom 1x12 cabs in parallel, it's quite crunchy, with pretty focused mids, and a tight low end. What surprised me though is that backing off on the gain, it's got a very pretty clean tone as well - not Fender or Vox clean, but a very pretty tone of its own. I'm considering bringing this with my to my office and using it as a headphone amp for days when I've got nothing else to do. This is a very good little amp.

I'm going to likely open it up this weekend.

Oh, and pics, cause without them it didn't happen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For size comparison
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the plugs!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. sc2f100

sc2f100 Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2011
    Huntsville, Al.
    I've had my eye on one of these for a few weeks, did you play it through the Orange cab at the store? Seems like a great deal for such a small package.

3. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    usa
    I got mine about 2 weeks ago and love it. I whish I hade some money to spend on a Tiny Terror. Im a Big Orange amp. fan. I play mine thru a 1x12 fender cab but I have used it thru a 2x12 cab with no trouble at all. Don't let the size fool ya...

4. AtomicFishin83

AtomicFishin83 Squier-Nut

Jun 7, 2011
    Pottstown, PA
    That looks rad. Any chance we can get a sound sample/video?? :)

Congrats on the new amp!

5. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    usa
  6. Hiker

Hiker Squier-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Congrats, cute little thing!

7. Deadfish

Deadfish Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2009
    Dayville, Ct. USA
    I think I need one....

Happy NAD MKT!

Rick C.

8. mkt3000

mkt3000 Squier-holic

Jan 23, 2012
    Miami
    I cracked mine open today if anyone cares :)

Just another pair of size comparisons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[spoil]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [/spoil]

9. guitarpiker

guitarpiker Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks for the pics, can't believe it is so small.

10. mkt3000

mkt3000 Squier-holic

Jan 23, 2012
    Miami
    Well, the first issue with the amp has arised. It's got a grounding problem - it's humming like crazy (the higher output the pickup, the louder the hum), and all metal in the circuit (the amp case, the ends of the cord, the strings on my guitar) are shocking me.

So I Called Orange, and they're sending me a new amp. So they have done good by me. Good tone, good customer service, loud little amp. I can dig this.

11. totheMax

totheMax Squier-holic

Jan 30, 2011
    Chesapeake Bay, MD
    I can't get over the size - I replaced that same input jack on my 25r Frontman and I know how small they are - in your pix they look huge.

Way cool...

I've got to save my GAS money for one of the new Squier VM Tele Bass's - I may have to trade in my old Yammy to keep the peace at home (unless I can swing a deal for it to live on the boat). :D The other half drives a hard bargain sometimes... (not really...)

12. mashala7887

mashala7887 Squier-Meister

Mar 21, 2012
    New Jersey
    does it need a cabinet to be heard?

13. woody85

woody85 Squier-Meister

Jun 15, 2012
    Toledo, OH
    man, everybody is getting these things. I'm gonna have to try one out soon.

14. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    usa
    No troubles with mine so far. But what I have done is I got a A/B/Y Box 1 guitar into two amps. One amp is my Orange and the second is my Mustang II. Both have a 12" speaker when you run both at same time and get them EQ'd up what a tone ya get , or use them seprate still lovin this amp. Did you switch tube or is the JJ the orginal?

Been havin some ideas of selling my HotRod Deville and getting a bigger orange head ???????? Hummmmmm :rolleyes:

15. mkt3000

mkt3000 Squier-holic

Jan 23, 2012
    Miami
    Just got the email notice from Orange, my replacement amp shipped today :D I've even got the serial number already, and they'll be emailing me my tracking number shortly (they forgot to include it in the first email)

[​IMG]

Apparently they're having HUGE issues keeping the Micro Terrors in stock, and that's why it's taken over a month to get the replacement ready.

Hopefully the issue that plagued my first one is resolved with this one.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  16. mashala7887

mashala7887 Squier-Meister

Mar 21, 2012
    New Jersey
    hold on somebody answer me, even if it is a stupid question

does this thing have a speaker? or do you NEED to plug it into a cabinet for it to be audible.

17. mkt3000

mkt3000 Squier-holic

Jan 23, 2012
    Miami
    No speakers: headphones or cabinet

18. mkt3000

mkt3000 Squier-holic

Jan 23, 2012
    Miami
    So, another update. The replacement amp arrived earlier this week, but at my San Juan address. Today I picked it up and took it home. I finally got a chance to plug it in. It.. err, it sounded different to the other one. It had a slightly nastier distortion, and the clean tones weren't as well defined. So I popped it open, and what do I see? Instead of the JJ ECC83 the previous one came with, it had a generic Sino 12AX7. It should've raised a red flag when this amp came with a different power adaptor than the first one (standard windows laptop style adaptor vs the nice adaptor with the worldplugs from before).

Thankfully, I have a few JJ 12AX7's from a when I decided to test out different tube combos in my AC15, and after popping one it, it's back to normal as far as tone goes. I'm a little annoyed that Orange went cheap with the new batches of Micro Terrors, but I'm also happy to have the amp back.

I have a Vox Wharfedale 12" speaker at home doing nothing, I might try it out in one of my 1x12 cabs to see how it sounds as well.

19. gameovergt

gameovergt Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2012
    Indiana
  20. sc2f100

sc2f100 Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2011
    Huntsville, Al.
    Finally pulled the trigger...playing it through a Fender GE412.........

[​IMG][/IMG]