NAD 1984 Peavey Bandit 65

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Oldguitarguy, Feb 12, 2020.

1. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    HNAD! Never heard anything but good about that series. Enjoy!

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    It depends. If I'm using one of the heads, use the head's effect send into the Cab and then the Cab's out into a mixer (recording or headphones) or the Bandit. In that configuration, I use the power amp sim on the Cab. If I'm using the Binary Amp, I use the Cab in the effects loop of the Amp and turn off the cab sim on the Amp. I sometimes use the effects loop on the mixer for extra compression, delay or reverb. When I do that, I run a line to the Bandit from the mixer instead.

3. mwmeci

mwmeci Squier-Meister

Jun 28, 2015
    Minneapolis
    5543d829e363f86e708e62a1f3f05b1d.jpg I used one of these in the eighties. Lots of headroom.

Rat cam 68, vlxerdon and drewcp like this.
  4. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    When u use it with the Bandit u just run straight out of the Pre-Amp out option on the back of the Peavey to the Binary Cab?Then to mixer and record?

My BackStage Plus has the Pre-Amp out on the front. Its one of the original reasons I got the amp. To run my friends vocals thru the pre-amp and spring reverb unit in the Peavey when recording him... As we had tested it out using an old Crate 2x12 amp with a spring reverb that a friend had and it made the guys vocals sound way better. So figured for 50 bucks I could get a way to make vocal recordings sound better and a decent backup amp that could provide different guitar sounds for recordings as well...

Now im thinkin maybe get something like a used Binary Cab and run Pre-Amp out on Peavey into Binary and then into Behringer USB mixer... So I could do guitar recording stuff without always having headphones on and mic in front of amp... Is this how ur using it?

5. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I have had a few Peavey amps and loved them . I regret selling a BS 30 model from the 70's

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I've tried it with the effects loop (pre-amp out) vs just going into the front of the amp input and I liked how the regular input jack sounded better. If I'm recording while listening on the Peavey, I run the one output line on my mixer to the amp and one to the computer for recording.

7. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Meister

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    i giggled with one for along time, 65 watts are plenty for most places, unless your into making people go deaf. and you can mic it but i never had to or too or 2 what ever. what about these guys who gig with 22 watt fender amps.

8. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    like my daddy use to say, you need all that crap to play guitar, maybe you should learn how to play better, but he was old and i was 16. i know my pics make know sense but neither do i

Attached Files:

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Like my wife says if I crank up a tube amp and interrupt her Real Housewives episode, "Turn that ___ down!!!"

10. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Meister

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    Heres one on Gumtree local, looks cheap Screenshot_20200219-065639_Chrome.jpg

11. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I have played all the Bandits that have came out, myself the old Bandit 65 had the best sound of all of them.

Oldguitarguy likes this.
  12. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    The Special 130 was another favorite if mine.

Oldguitarguy likes this.
  13. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    My friend Ed I played guitar with in the 80s and still today, he bought a Bandit 65 and put a EV 112L in it he was an EV freak and they have their place. But the only 2 things it done for that old Bandit was to make it a heavy as heck and made it sound sterile. to me it lost its mojo with the EV.

14. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Meister

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    I've seen a couple Bandit 65's pop-up recently on Craigslist in my general (bi-state) area, but all were still too far away. I did luck into a Bandit 112 (80-watt IIRC) a couple months ago, to replace one just like it that I stupidly sold a few years earlier, and I'm loving that thing !
    That being said, not long after getting it, i had a major glitch: about 98% of the volume output died, for no apparent reason. I had recently been looking up info on these things, and i recalled reading about a glitch like this, and the solution to it, so I dredged it back up.
    Though these amps are well made and largely trouble-free, with serious problems being relatively rare, one issue that is pretty widely known is some sort of electrical short between the amp and pre-amp (if I'm recalling that correctly). But, you can simply by-pass the short by plugging a patch cable into the back of the amp, into the jack labeled "power amp in", connecting to the jack labeled "power amp out".
    I looked further into this, on various you-tube repair videos and several guitar forums, and this is apparently a widely used solution, that doesn't harm the amp in any way, but it instantly fixes this particular issue (with a lot less risk and headache than disassembling the amp, cleaning and testing connections, diving in with a soldering iron, etc.)
    Hopefully (probably) you'll never see this, but i figured this was good info to mentally file away if it suddenly goes sideway on you ! :D

Oldguitarguy likes this.
  15. gary mitchell

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    i never cared for the scorpion speakers, they were dull sounding to me, how ever pv black widow speakers are very cool but heavy. myself i like this speaker very well, i took the most awful speaker i ever heard , the celestion 70/80 out of my $1600 Rivera why they used that speaker is beyond me, i loaded with the eminence 1218 , very nice speaker, can be very clean sounding but still has awesome breakup, plenty of headroom. and its only $70 shopping.jpeg

16. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Someone in Rockaway NJ just listed a Bandit 65 on Letgo for $50. There’s a 112 in ParkRidge listed for $62.

gary mitchell likes this.
  17. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Does anyone think that either of these pedals will work with my Peavey Bandit 65? Could it harm the amp to try? 2EB0C1A9-F6B0-45B7-A6DB-47ECA5D06824.jpeg 0D944282-1C55-43CB-888E-A9B02E8336CC.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice