Mystery Telecaster/Partcaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Gip111, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    Picked this up today basically as an unknown Partcaster with the possibility of it being a MIM body but I don't think so. Nice bridge pickup, neck pickup sounds awesome on it's own, some sort of graphtech saddles? I'm more curious about the body than anything else, no hints of anything except some faded stamping. At least it isn't plywood.
    Any ideas? 20190814_191214.jpg 20190814_191054.jpg 20190814_191411.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Have no idea about the body but the neck looks like one of those kmise necks.

SoundDesign and mb doug like this.
  3. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    Looks like ash to me

mb doug and Big tuna like this.
  4. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    Owner said it's a Mighty Mite but I'll go with Kmise, exact duplicate of a Kmise I have laying around here, only difference is that the one I just got with the guitar is noticeable heavier.

SoundDesign and mb doug like this.
  5. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    It is still a cool tele might be anything no markings to be a mim imo no problem as long as the neck is playable and you like it. Enjoy

mb doug likes this.
  6. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    I dont know about teles MIM but strat MIMs have 3 holes under the pg.

mb doug and LutherBurger like this.
  7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Teles do, too, and mine is routed for a neck humbucker.

mb doug likes this.
  8. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    Overall a pretty nice DIY guitar to mess with. Lots of no name quirky stuff like locking tuners, front ceramic pickup that sounds great but its so tall that it can't be adjusted, bottoms out, graphtech saddles that are too wide for that guitar. The guitar does have a very nice ring to it and very good sustain up and down the fret board. It will be a fun project.

mb doug, squierbilly and LutherBurger like this.
  9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    If the height screw holes are spaced narrowly enough, you can sand the sides of the saddles down until they fit properly. I had to do that to make a set fit on a vintage-spaced strat bridge.

mb doug likes this.
  10. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    Yes, they are 0.020" thicker. I'm either sanding them or machining them

LutherBurger and mb doug like this.
  11. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    MIM’s used to come in that color, but means nothing, I know.

12. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    All done... for now. Put a Fender Tex Mex neck pickup I had laying around and changed the bridge with metal saddles. Sounds and feels great. Thought I'd put a picture of it. Still a mystery Tele but can't complain!
    20190822_204626.jpg

CVSteve and daan like this.
  13. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I'd know that Kmise hump anywhere. Not a bad thing but yes, that's what she is.

14. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    That does look suspiciously like Midnight Wine, but every MIM I saw under the hood of, was routed for a neck humbucker. Whatever that is, it looks like a nice Tele!

15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Looks nice !

How's she sound ?

16. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    Drives me nuts not knowing but it is what it is. It has a clean clear twang/chime to it in the middle position which I love, what I noticed even before swapping the bridge and the neck pup is the sustain, lots of it. I'm convinced whatever woods were use used for body and neck have a lot to do with it.

17. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    20190824_101613.jpg

Mystery neck on bottom, known Kmise on top. The Kmise is identical in all respects, medium frets, thickness and width. Only difference is the heel is longer on the bottom neck. The fit of this Kmise is perfect on just about any Squier Tele body I've tried however, they sit about a 1/16th of an inch higher than stock necks since they're a bit thicker. I personally find the smaller frets are good to use with extra light gauge strings.

daan likes this.
  18. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I wanna know who either makes Midnight Wine Tele bodies, or where to get that paint from!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice