My Studio/Practice Space... A continuous saga...

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by Bassman96, May 29, 2019.

1. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I was wondering the very same thing. Like you say these are just "ok" but tend to breakup a bit when pushed so I may try the next step up.

2. BeepBoop

BeepBoop Squier Talker

May 30, 2019
    ND, USA
    Also eyeing the Tascam TH-02's. They're in the same price range and seem like a step up. Probably gonna get a pair in about a week and give em a try. Let me know if you try any others.

3. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    If you get a pair let me know what you think! I am on the hunt for the best yet cheapest studio gear on the market so reviews are handy lol.

dbrian66, mb doug, BeepBoop and 2 others like this.
  4. rolie

rolie Squier-Meister

Apr 12, 2019
    Southern California
    Nice studio man. The video of the kid dancing is great, made my day. Love the minimalistic studio, mixer looks sick. I had to simplify my stuff but I'm more productive. There is so much great cheap equipment availiable these days. Here's my mecca.
    20190625_173442.jpg

duggerh, daan, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  5. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Very nice. I have a room seperate from the house that all this will move into once the room becomes unoccupied (long story and I don't want to talk about it lol). Then it wilk really be game on! I am also thinking of keeping an eye out for a cheap set of drums to keep in there for basic drum tracks or in the off chance I run into a drummer who is down to jam. Makes it easier on him that way.

dbrian66 and mb doug like this.
  6. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
  7. rolie

rolie Squier-Meister

Apr 12, 2019
    Southern California
    Yeah man a drum set would be bad ass. My mom has my drum set atm, have to share walls in my apartment, ugh. Real drums is the way. Found mine for under 2 bills on craigslist.

8. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I have 2 of those mic's and they are awesome for the $. They sound almost exactly the same as a SM57 too. I used them on my last 2 albums.

IMG_20190625_222441.jpg

dbrian66, duggerh, mb doug and 3 others like this.
  9. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I don't know how helpful this is but this is my setup. The interface is a Presounus and you can get them for as low ad $59 from what I have seen. Ot's a 2x2 input that supports XLR as well and phantom power. It is a solid workhorse.
    Then I use Reaper as my DAW.
    MVIMG_20190606_175642.jpg

10. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I will definitely look into that. Also I like the inception like thing going on there of you taking a pic of you taking a pic lol. Nice setup!

dbrian66, mb doug and fadetoz like this.
  11. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I have the laptop with a webcam setup to do videos. I haven't perfected it yet but it works ok.
    Another good investment is a guitar rack. I got this off eBay for something like $24. I can't afford expensive stuff so I get as much budget friendly stuff as I can.
    I've been trying to work on the videos some. I have the laptop with the webcam then I have another couple cameras for other angles. I have allot to learn on the video editing side.
    What I try to do for higher quality stuff is record to the DAW and then mix the DAW recording with the videos. ends up allot better quality.
    Here's a couple videos I tried to do a little better but I have to work on lighting etc. I like checking out other peoples setups to get ideas. Hope mine gives you some ideas that help.

IMG_20190625_232900.jpg

dbrian66, oneLOCOman, mb doug and 3 others like this.
  12. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    @fadetoz I have video editing software just haven't played around with it too much yet. That is on the todo list.

I looked into your interface and I guess yours is unavailable now amd the new or next model up starts at 99. I did find a pyle interface... They call it a 3 channel mixer but that is a streatch since it only has a combo xlr/1/4" input and a rca input that can be a mono channel 2 or stereo channel 3 so in actuality it is just a usb interface with a couple bells. That is $38 so might pull the trigger on it and see how it does.

dbrian66 and mb doug like this.
  13. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Also that clip up there with my boy dancing (he's a dork lol) was just recorded with my homemade mixer (had a line in from the amp in ch1, mic on cab ch2 and mp3 backing on ch3) then into my webcam. Pretty lowfi and ugly setup but just wanted to do a functional proof of concept thing.

dbrian66, fadetoz, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  14. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Guitar center used has the interface for $39 - $$60. It is getting a few yrs old but it has been rock solid and both inputs support instrument or XLR and have phantom power if needed.
    I did see one that said great condition for $39. There are plenty of interfaces out there that are just fine I'm sure.

dbrian66, Bassman96 and drewcp like this.
  15. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Once the family relocates, I hope to have a band room/space. Lots of good set ups here to gather ideas.

dbrian66 and Bassman96 like this.
  16. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Are you kicking the family out to build a studio? That's how it's done!

dbrian66, daan, so1om and 1 other person like this.
  17. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I mean business.

We have essentially 4 adults in a 2 bedroom house. We're moving to Florida so there will be a bigger house and with that, room for us to have a music area.

While I have a ton of gear, I am thinking what I have set up at any given time will be minimal. But there will be a place to set things up, leave them set up and then everything handy/easy access for changing it up. Maybe ever getting a computer? Who knows.

18. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA

Sounds like a plan except well... Florida...

I spent a year there in my Navy years and what a hot sticky humid miserable place that was. The beaches and food were great but you couldn't pay me to live there again. Could be the location up in the armpit of Florida (Pensacola then Jacksonville) but yeah that was heat like none felt ever or since!

dbrian66 and daan like this.
  19. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Considering Chicago has zero music scene and 2 months of nice weather.....

dbrian66 and Bassman96 like this.
  20. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Makes sense. Coming from the ice box of Chicago the warmth is probably welcome (been there too and incidentally the coldest I have ever been. -50 windchills are no joke!). Just be prepared to be freakin hot. I grew up in west Texas and even I was caught off guard. Good luck getting setup in margarita ville

dbrian66 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice