My Studio/Practice Space... A continuous saga...

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by Bassman96, May 29, 2019.

1. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Now that I am getting my gear back together and trying to carve out a spot to practice and do a little recording I thought some might like to follow along on the progress. At the very least allow me to track the progression of it in one spot.

Being single has it's advantages. I don't need to consult the committee before doing any redecorating in my bedroom or the rest of the house. The only person who I have to worry about disturbing is my 6yo boy so late nights are out without headphone. Anything else pretty much goes as long as my bank account allows it (which is usually a no go lol).

Being on a VA check once monthly along with what profits come from the farm keep this build very frugal and I am trying to see how budget friendly I can make it and still have a workable setup. That means the majority will be home built equipment and furniture items.

So far I have built a mixer and mic preamp. I already had all the needed components for those on hand and the money was spent on that long ago so I am counting them as free.

http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/diy-4-channel-mixer-wip.157825/

20190527_204933.jpg 20190528_152446.jpg

Today I built the majority of a desk to set all that and my laptop on. I still have to cut and install a brace across the front legs and while I am a single male I am not a heathen so it will get painted with the same satin black paint I used on my bedroom set to help it blend in a bit.

20190529_131002.jpg 20190529_131009.jpg

I still think the desk needs a small half sized shelf on the mixer side to make room for additional interfaces and equipment but so far I am still at the $0 spent mark. Tonight I am ordering a Pyle sm57 clone for $14 and a simple usb adaptor to get me started with for now till I can get a real usb audio interface. Besides my amp head that is the first new gear money has actually been spent on so far.

More to come as this continues to evolve. Feel free to share your setups, insights and thoughts or frugal tips you may have along the way.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    dbrian66, Merv_j, fadetoz and 8 others like this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN

What kind of USB adapter are you planning on getting? I may have a Mic and a lightsnake type cable at home I could send your way for cheap-ish. The mic would be the Monoprice 57 copy, and the cable, is...
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/LightSnake/USB-Microphone-cable.gc

dbrian66, mb doug and squierbilly like this.
  3. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    This guy here...

Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac. Plug and Play No Drivers Needed. (AU-MMSA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/?tag=squiertalk-20

The mic input on my laptop is toast so this basically just moves it to the usb port. Not optimal but workable for now.

I will keep that offer in mind. It will probably be a month or so before I could take you up on it. I just had to buy a new car since my volvo 240 wagon threw a rod a week ago and I am already buying 2 peavey 12" speakers for a new cab this month. Slowly but shirley I will get there lol.

4. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    No worries, it's pretty much just extra gear I have sitting around.

I bought the cable to use with Rockband the video game, but I've since found another solution. If you decide you want to try to go that route, I would be willing to send you the cable and the mic for $20 shipped.

5. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Right on. I will make a note and keep that in mind. Thanks!

dbrian66, mb doug and drewcp like this.
  6. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Got my new Pyle SM57 clone today. Along with an $11 set of Behringer headphones and the usb adaptor.

20190531_150206.jpg 20190531_144844.jpg 20190531_150201.jpg

I did a quick test of the headphones and the microphone and they are both worth what I paid so they are wins. I'll do a more in depth review after I have more time with them.

Off to a good start. The first 2 budget gear purchases have been winners. Stay tuned for more

dbrian66, fadetoz, mb doug and 5 others like this.
  7. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Nice!!! I am going to be checking this out. I am going to make my guest/cat room into my jam room. I am all about doing things on a low budget.

8. BeepBoop

BeepBoop Squier Talker

May 30, 2019
    ND, USA
    Subscribed. I really like where you're going with this.

I too have similar goals and a low budget.

dbrian66 and mb doug like this.
  9. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    You built your own recording gear? And you did that gorgeous J-bass? Man you got some talent! Rock on, good sir!

10. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Lol. I'm a man of many useless talents lol. Thanks. There was an entire build thread for the mixer. Where've ya been!? ;)

squierbilly, dbrian66 and mb doug like this.
  11. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Nothing super impressive here just a quick equipment test. I ran through the cycle of mic only then direct only then the two blended. Still hunting the source of the cycle hum. I think it's the amp head sharing a plug with the power for the mixer. Tomorrow I'm moving the amp to a different breaker and see if that changes things. Also still working on the levels and all that but IT WORKS! That is something lol. Just some noise.

12. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Ok I think I found the source of the noise in the signal. I had (like a bonehead) ran all the audio cables behind my amp and across to the board. Well the power cables are ran that way too so I just had to run the audio cables out the front to the board. Easy fix.

I am loving this mic. For $14 it gets the job done perfectly fine. I may end up with a couple more before it's all said and done. Those of you looking for a usuable mic to record with have a look at the Pyle PDMIC78 on Amazon. It comes with prime shipping too.

The Behringer headphones are adequate for the money. I might splurge on the next model up if I were to do it again. These peak occasionally but nothing hugely annoying. They are comfortable to wear which is nice.

The usb audio interface works a charm. It is really straight forward. Just plug and play and it transfers a much cleaner signal than the built in inputs and outputs on my laptop. Just don't forget to select it in whatever recording program you are using.

I did another more robust functional test today (with a backup dancer even! Lol). Still working on finding the sweetspot mix and levels but overall I'm happy with the progress so far.

Here is the result of that test. I will be looking for a better camera soon along with working on my playing lol. My god am I rusty!! Anyhoo... Nothing fancy just a quick, fun and simple little Misfits jam. More to come as things evolve..

dbrian66, oneLOCOman, mb doug and 3 others like this.
  13. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    LoL.. you been flash danced!..
    Where did he learn to dance like that,, spongebob?. That was great!..
    the playing was ok too.. :rolleyes:... :D

14. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Hah! I have no idea lol. He wanted to jam too lol. If I could harness just a fraction of his energy I could power the world lol.

15. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    One more piece of budget gear arrived today. This isn't specifically studio related but is practice related and not really worth it's own NTPD post lol.

I finally have a decent tuner for my bass. This thing is TINY!! Gets the job done though. I mean.... It's a tuner.... It tunes. It has a few display options and you can adjust the tuning pitch and flat tuning. Just under $18 on Amazon. Mr Power mini sized chromatic tuner pedal.

Now I need a second bass to keep in Eflat and one to keep in standard lol. (This is how you justify multiple guitars kids...take notes :cool:;)).

20190601_180737.jpg 20190601_180752.jpg

dbrian66, mb doug, drewcp and 5 others like this.
  16. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Well I finally got around to getting the tone circuit on my homemade mixer to function as intended. I got it wired to work really well as an onboard high pass/low pass filter. Turned ccw any hiss is eliminated and cw any undertones are tamed and it gives a nice treble boost that way too. Really happy with how that turned out.

So while I had it opened up and guts spilled I took the opportunity to finally get a label on the face of it. Went with a fairly generic look like I do with mosty pedal builds. I kinda dig it. Anyhoo... Now this guy is fully functional and I can finally get started recording a bass track for @stratman420 . I had meant to get started on that Saturday but had my gear torn apart with this repair.

20190617_203842_HDR.jpg 20190617_203848_HDR.jpg

17. BeepBoop

BeepBoop Squier Talker

May 30, 2019
    ND, USA
    Nice! Kinda looks like a harmonic percolator.:D

dbrian66, mb doug and Bassman96 like this.
  18. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Nut

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Diggin it and cool your son is diggin it (in his own way) with you

19. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Yeah it's been pretty fun getting back into it with him involved. Also the challenge of satisfying GAS on little to no money has been fun too. My part hording has finally started to pay off lol.

I have a few more pieces in the works for the studio so stay tuned. It is an ever evolving project.

mb doug, Flying Z and BeepBoop like this.
  20. BeepBoop

BeepBoop Squier Talker

May 30, 2019
    ND, USA
    I have those same headphones, and am looking at getting a slightly nicer pair, I wonder if the hps3000's are much better? Kinda trying to keep it under $30.

dbrian66, mb doug and Flying Z like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice