My Strat wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by rawdatalab, Dec 7, 2017.

1. rawdatalab

rawdatalab Squier Talker

Nov 3, 2017
    NY
    First attempt! Submitted for the forum's approval and/or ridicule. I know it's a bit... busy. I blame you all. nyx.png

squierbilly and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Hi and good place to get help. Sorry, I'm no wiring guru, I just go to SD or Rose pickups and leech up on their wiring diagrams. Anything more complex is Google time.

I do see the ground does not extend from the top pot to the other pots. All the pots should be grounded together, otherwise mayhem ensues.

Kenneth Mountain and squierbilly like this.
  3. rawdatalab

rawdatalab Squier Talker

Nov 3, 2017
    NY
    True indeed. The pickguard and body cavity are lined with copper foil, so the pots are all grounded together.

You make an excellent point: that should be indicated (somehow) in the diagram. It's rather alpha. Pre-alpha? Just trying to consolidate my Doc Brown-like stack of notes and diagrams into something semi-legible.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    I understand grounding through the copper foil. A good shield helps with the noise. Being a bit OCD, personally I would still ground the pots directly together. But that's just me. I usually run heavy wire (house gage) between the pots so they do not move or twist off, should they lose their retaining nut tightness. I've seen more than one used guitar that the primary problem is the pots twisted off the wire, But then again, I chase 20+ year old guitars that were only made 3 or 4 years, so I'm not right anyway. :oops::rolleyes:o_O:D

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.