My new mystery Squier Stratocaster Standard

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by stratman420, Mar 20, 2019.

1. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    Yep - I'd say a real nice one. If you like how it sounds, dunno if I'd be looking to change pickups.

Kenneth Mountain and stratman420 like this.
  2. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Slight correction: It is a Yako made neck but from 2010 not 2001. When the years went to two digits, so did the year designation.

The reason NC/YN only use one digit is because the decade is in the letters Nineties China / Yako Nineties.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

3. kniah

kniah Squier Talker

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    I have a CY99 and the neck is fabulous. Would the body thickness give any clues if it's a partscaster? But I agree with the others, don't dwell on it and enjoy the guitar!

4. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

98 99 2000 - affy strats were full thickness standards were vintage style bridge - what model are you talking about - affy or std. ?

Eddie likes this.
  5. stratman420

stratman420 Squier-Meister

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    The thickness of my guitar's body is not nearly as thick as a Fender MIM strat, but not nearly as thin as I remember Squier bullets and affinitys being. I've never played a Squier guitar other than my first Bullet, and some of my friends Affinitys, so I'm not sure how the thickness should be on a Standard or any other series.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. kniah

kniah Squier Talker

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    I thought in the transition years of 98-00 that some Affinity models had 1.625" thick bodies whereas the standards had the full 1.75" bodies? Neck wise I was referring to the standard necks as being great (my CY99 is a standard).

7. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    Here are two more pictures. One is of the nut. It's a really good nut, I'm thinking it might be bone or synthetic bone? It's definitely not the standard "plastic white" that I've seen on other Squiers and even some other brand guitars. The other picture is my attempt at showing the body thickness. 20190320_214658.jpg 20190320_215005.jpg

8. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Measure the body to see if its 1.75" thick..
    You can Spot a thin body at the pocket.. noticeably thinner.. like a 1/2 inch

stratman420 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I just picked up a CY98. When it arrived, it was a thin bodied Affy. I wasn't happy. :(

10. Kenneth Mountain

That could be true - although I thought the affy's were full size ? Does your standard from 99 - have a 6 screw vintage bridge or 2 point ?

11. Kenneth Mountain

not sure if that was stock ?

12. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    It's exactly 4cm (1.57").

13. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Not a standard.. but how it plays is the most important..

stratman420 likes this.
  14. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    I guess you're right. At first I was disappointed because I felt I was mislead, but in reality it's one of the best guitars I've ever played, and I'm sure the upgrades alone, such as the electronics, new pots, professional set up, etc... are worth the money I paid. I'm still curious about the PUPs. They sound great, but I'm not a very big fan of the chrome/black. I'd prefer if they were black, but maybe I'll get used to it. Does anyone recognise what brand they could be just by the visuals?

I'm also curious as to if it's possible to install active EMGs into this? I'm curious as to where the 9 volt battery would stay?

Eddie likes this.
  15. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

You can carve a small pocket in the back cavity. Or you can tape it to the inside of the pickguard ... but that would require you to remove the pickguard everything you change the battery.

Too much work for me.

stratman420 likes this.
  16. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    Yeah, that does seem like it would be a pain to do everytime changing the battery. I'm not sure I'd trust myself carving into the guitar, but perhaps I could find some sort of luthier or something who could do it for a reasonable price.

17. kniah

kniah Squier Talker

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    My 99 standard has a 6 screw vintage bridge. I think Squier made the switch to 2 point bridge when they switched to 22 fret necks (which I believe happened in 2000).

stratman420 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  18. Kenneth Mountain

2001 - I think ? maybe late 2000 ?

19. kniah

kniah Squier Talker

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
  20. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    Its going to be impossible to tell what HBs those w/o seeing the backs - and even then it might not be obvious. Typically, if someone is going to swap in an HH PG, they would put nice pickups in there.

Guitars w/ active pickups usually have a routed cavity in the back for the battery - it might be tricky to get it to fit under the Strat PG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice